Axl's Stage Presence: Past/Present Discussion

40 minutes ago, yourcrazy said:

Without question he is one of the most charismatic front men ever.  With that being said, he acted completely different when I saw him with AC/DC. I was kind of surprised that he blatently kept behind Angus at almost all times.  I think it was out of respect not only for Angus, but for Brian. Axl wasn't trying to steal the show.  I think that's not an easy thing for him, but it shows that he can know his place and be respectful. 

100% this

5 minutes ago, AXL_N_DIZZY said:

Yep- and I would argue even that is charismatic in its own way- as it showed an unexpected side to Axl to a lot of people [though I think most of us die hards understood how respectful Axl's become (particularly the last several years) of the greats before him]...

This 100% out of likes for this last posts

5 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

OMG does he! One of the all time best frontman ever!

I just love him. When he comes on the stage you can feel the excitement.

Axl had it back in the 80's and the man has still got it now! No doubt about it!:axl92:

This :axl92:

12 hours ago, SevenMichaels said:

The thing is, Jagger can't sing, especially not live. Freddie Mercury is the greatest frontman of all time, without a shadow of a doubt.

Ehh, I say again, Freddie Mercury??

And it's interesting that Queen themselves got Axl to sing two of the most iconic Queen songs ever at Wembley,  because you need someone who can hold a stadium in the palm of their hands for songs like Bohemian Rhapsody and We Will Rock You. They had their pick...Plant, Daltrey,Bowie,Lennox,Michael,Minnelli and they went with Rose to finish the night off.

3 minutes ago, Silverburst80 said:

And it's interesting that Queen themselves got Axl to sing two of the most iconic Queen songs ever at Wembley,  because you need someone who can hold a stadium in the palm of their hands for songs like Bohemian Rhapsody and We Will Rock You. They had their pick...Plant, Daltrey,Bowie,Lennox,Michael,Minnelli and they went with Rose to finish the night off.

It is very interesting, as after Freddie, Axl is the only one who could do it, as in his prime, he was the greatest frontman on the planet. Bare in mind, Freddie was dying/dead in Axl's prime.

17 minutes ago, SevenMichaels said:

It is very interesting, as after Freddie, Axl is the only one who could do it, as in his prime, he was the greatest frontman on the planet. Bare in mind, Freddie was dying/dead in Axl's prime.

.....and not to be too morbid when Axl goes and we start seeing all the tributes online and some fucker trying to sing WTTJ that's when Axl's "presence" and "charisma" is going to be truly appreciated and missed.

Edited by Silverburst80

8 minutes ago, Silverburst80 said:

.....and to be too morbid when Axl goes and we start seeing all the tributes online and some fucker trying to sing WTTJ that's when Axl's "presence" and "charisma" is going to be truly appreciated and missed.

I don't think anyone in their right mind would try to a WTTJ tribute to Axl, but then again, someone like Sebastien fucking Bach isn't in their right mind, so can you imagine the amount of cringing this forum will do when he butchers WTTJ, again?

1 hour ago, SevenMichaels said:

I don't think anyone in their right mind would try to a WTTJ tribute to Axl, but then again, someone like Sebastien fucking Bach isn't in their right mind, so can you imagine the amount of cringing this forum will do when he butchers WTTJ, again?

Jesus i haven't seen that and won't be in any hurry to find it either.

Edited by Silverburst80
  • Like 1

Read the first 2 pages and not the last 3 so apologies if I say something that's already been said: 

IMO Axl in his hey day was untouchable! The bands reputation as a whole as being dangerous and not giving a f*** about anything enhanced Axl's reputation and he brought that to the stage! He was mesmerising because we hadn't seen it quite like this before and the crowd loved feeling like they were going to watch something that could explode at any given moment, Axl fed on that, hence the rants, the late starts, the tantrums, you got it all with AXL and the stage precense just stemmed from the fact that he was in his prime, supremely talented and most importantly he had a screw loose which meant the crowd and axl fed off each other! 

Looking at now, it was almost always going to be impossible for Axl not to grow out of that, he's matured, and now we have a band that is finely tuned and you know what you're getting at a GNR concert, it's not necessarily a bad thing, it's just different. 

He still commands the stage, and an audience, hence the big crowds still turning up for a band that is well past their prime! 

2 hours ago, bucketfoot said:

Does Axl have stage presence and charisma? Does a bear shit in the woods?

A stupid one.

Totally agree man - I was so upset by how stupid this question was that I cried. Will definitely check with you and brownstone first before I ask a question again. I know you guys are really smart. :heart:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Totally agree man - I was so upset by how stupid this question was that I cried. Will definitely check with you and brownstone first before I ask a question again. I know you guys are really smart. :heart:

Hey, no offence, Ronin. It seemed a strange question to ask that's all, he's probably in the top 5 frontmen of all time in terms of stage presence (Jagger, Mercury, Roth.... top 5 or 10 certainly) As others have said in AC/DC he's obviously very mindful that it's the Angus show and adjusts his performance accordingly. AC/DC fans are always going to compare him unfavourably to Brian as well.

54 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

Hey, no offence, Ronin. It seemed a strange question to ask that's all, he's probably in the top 5 frontmen of all time in terms of stage presence (Jagger, Mercury, Roth.... top 5 or 10 certainly) As others have said in AC/DC he's obviously very mindful that it's the Angus show and adjusts his performance accordingly. AC/DC fans are always going to compare him unfavourably to Brian as well.

Ha no worries man - just having a little fun with you. :lol:;) I know it's a super obvious question to us GnR fans but apparently this is actually an issue with a lot of AC/DC fans...:blink:

He's actually pretty underrated as a frontman on non-gnr music forums. I think his reputation has overshadowed his accomplishments in the minds of a lot of people which is a shame. I think Axl between 87-93 is the greatest frontman I've ever seen. He's still pretty damn good right now. Only thing I'm not into is that he sort of choreographs his moves a lot these days. Like someone else pointed out earlier, it almost seems like Axl forgot how to be Axl if you see his mikestand moves. All in all though, I don't know who is out there doing it better right now. 

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Tadsy said:

Read the first 2 pages and not the last 3 so apologies if I say something that's already been said: 

IMO Axl in his hey day was untouchable! The bands reputation as a whole as being dangerous and not giving a f*** about anything enhanced Axl's reputation and he brought that to the stage! He was mesmerising because we hadn't seen it quite like this before and the crowd loved feeling like they were going to watch something that could explode at any given moment, Axl fed on that, hence the rants, the late starts, the tantrums, you got it all with AXL and the stage precense just stemmed from the fact that he was in his prime, supremely talented and most importantly he had a screw loose which meant the crowd and axl fed off each other! 

Looking at now, it was almost always going to be impossible for Axl not to grow out of that, he's matured, and now we have a band that is finely tuned and you know what you're getting at a GNR concert, it's not necessarily a bad thing, it's just different. 

He still commands the stage, and an audience, hence the big crowds still turning up for a band that is well past their prime! 

Agreed

5 minutes ago, RONIN said:

I think Axl between 87-93 is the greatest frontman I've ever seen.

Yeah, he was right up there.

6 minutes ago, RONIN said:

I think his reputation has overshadowed his accomplishments in the minds of a lot of people which is a shame.

That's definitely the case as well. Some people just don't like him and never will because of his diva antics. I don't mind all that stuff because I quite like rock stars to be absolute arseholes but strip away the bullshit and there's not many better in terms of performance, especially during the period you mention.

1 minute ago, Its Tino said:

Axl purposely steps back with AC/DC out of respect, imo. It's the angus young show and he knows it. If he did have more "stage presence" with AC/DC people would call him selfish. 

This

• Like 1

I had to stop lurking and post for the first time because this question completely confused me. Like, why is such question even being asked??? :lol::facepalm: Axl Rose has charisma just like the sky is blue.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Inbox said:

I had to stop lurking and post for the first time because this question completely confused me. Like, why is such question even being asked??? :lol::facepalm: Axl Rose has charisma just like the sky is blue.

Haha! I feel your pain. I have avoided posting in this thread. Had to tell myself, 'back away from the keyboard, it's just people on the internet...don't get upset'.  :lol:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Haha! I feel your pain. I have avoided posting in this thread. Had to tell myself, 'back away from the keyboard, it's just people on the internet...don't get upset'.  :lol:

Right??? How DARE they?? :lol:

12 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

I agree. I find myself doing that a lot ?

On 30/07/2017 at 4:47 AM, Tourettes2400 said:

At the same time when I look at pics from last year it makes me laugh when I see things like this

20160709_214334.jpg

Whoa, how he's managed to avoid the wrath of meme makers with pics like this out there from only last year is a miracle in itself! ;-D

• Like 1