THE OFFICIAL PROPER FOOTBALL THREAD 2020/21

Len Cnut

8 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

My mind was permanently made up on him when he was asked to describe his feelings towards Arsenal and what he came up with was ‘hatred’.  

Can't blame the guy for accurately describing his feelings :) You would probably give an equally dismissive and negative view, although likely longer, if you were to summarize what you think of Manchester United. And you are just a fan.

4 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I'm not taking it to a human rights tribuneral or anything, I'm just saying the feelings mutual.

He's definitely a miserable cunt, as I believe you described him. Something of a curmudgeon. I don't necessarily he is comfortable with himself, either. But hating Arsenal is par for the course and should be a requisite for playing at ManU, at least back in the 90s. I kind of miss that intense rivalry although I have nothing against Arsenal as a team these days.

44 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

He's definitely a miserable cunt, as I believe you described him. Something of a curmudgeon. I don't necessarily he is comfortable with himself, either. But hating Arsenal is par for the course and should be a requisite for playing at ManU, at least back in the 90s. I kind of miss that intense rivalry although I have nothing against Arsenal as a team these days.

Yeah, you got a point.  That sort of shit fuels a kind of intensity doesn't it?  Intensity, I hate that word as a character descriptor.  Along with 'doesn't suffer fools gladly' its another one of those things you often call someone who is a bit of a cunt or whoose behaviour is slightly cuntish.

But anyway, its all petty really, the older I get the less important it really all is to me but its like a reflex thing almost, old habits die hard and that.  I mean Keanes doin' alright, isn't he, in the house(s) that prawn sandwiches built, what do I look like a 37 yr old man still carrying these school yard grudges, like it actually matters to anyone.  Bit hypocritical of me too cuz I love Brian Clough and he had a similar acerbic-ness to him, though he carried a lot of charm too, which is missing from the likes of Keane and Fergie.  For as much as Cloughie could be a mean sod he also was incredibly likeable. 

The only United fella I can tolerate is Georgie Best, loved that bloke but its probably as much to do with what he represented than anything else (actually thats unfair, he was a fantastic player too)

Edited by Len Cnut

I rather like Keane but I like anyone who is un-pc like that, but am not immersed in the whole footballing thing, the thing with Arsenal. I just remember the whole 2002 World Cup saga, Keano walking his dog all the time. T' Mick Macarthey aye 'oop. 

I read a good quote by Best the other day: ''I spent a lot of money on booze, birds, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered''.

George Best was a charismatic fellow. Everybody would like suck a larger than life character. But I like Keane, too, not personality-wise -- he's not the first player I would like to have a beer with -- but for the role he filled on the field and in the dressing room. We needed a cunt on the team. I think every team needs someone to make everybody else go the extra mile, especially these days when most players are at a club because of the salary and not a love for the club. These days I feel more pity for him, really, because that cuntish personality doesn't work so well in real life.

15 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I rather like Keane but I like anyone who is un-pc like that, but am not immersed in the whole footballing thing, the thing with Arsenal. I just remember the whole 2002 World Cup saga, Keano walking his dog all the time. T' Mick Macarthey aye 'oop. 

I read a good quote by Best the other day: ''I spent a lot of money on booze, birds, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered''.

A cousin of mine once dropped a delivery to Georgie Bests house.  He wanted to give him a tip but didn't have any cash with him but offered for him to like, take anything in the house, apparently there were some old medals or awards or whatever...he thanked him and refused. 

• Like 1

Keano was truly one of the greats. He set the standard for his peers and led by example. At the heart of every success United had during his time there and when they dominated English football for the most part. Even up here, some of the younger boys at Celtic used to get a hard time off of the veterans like Lennon, Thompson, Hartson etc during training - Keane went mental at them if they misplaced a pass and the fringe players were loving it. Man of the match display at Ibrox still sits in my mind, him and Lennon in the middle doing the graft. 

If none of you have seen it, I highly recommend watching the BT Sport documentary on Viera and Keane. Amazing watch and you can tell the respect they had for one another, yet didn't let it be known when they were both playing! 

Keane is asked who the greatest manager he worked under was:

"Without doubt...Brian Clough."

• Like 1

On 9/15/2020 at 5:13 PM, Graeme said:

I don't know much about him from his playing days, even his time in Scotland, but literally every quote I see from him, he comes across as a fucking horrible human being :lol: like the kinda guy nobody would want to be around.

Don't be like that just because he went to Celtic. You have to admire this for the creativity if nothing else.. You're a fucking wanker and you can stick your World Cup up your arse. The only reason I have any dealings with you is that somehow you are the manager of my country! You can stick it up your bollocks."24 Aug 2006

• Haha 1

Just now, Len Cnut said:

A part of you cares deep down, tell the truth.  A little bit?  Wouldn’t you want to see em do well given the choice?

I am a disinterested spectator. Thing is I need to know how well (or not so) Newcastle and Sunderland are doing because, normally, their fortunes will occupy a significant amount of discussion among acquaintances - I am going to hear about this tedious stuff irrespective so I may as well follow it.

Whenever the Toon get relegated: tears on Tyneside. Hardened men weeping.

Could plonk this in any sport thread but considering this is most active...

Phased return of spectators, commencing 1st October, ditched and  potentially delayed by six months? This is truly disastrous for British sports. It will almost certainly see the demise of lots of lower/non-league football and rugby clubs, devoid of ticket revenue! Probably a few bigger ones also will be pulled into financial difficulties.

For us? No live sport!! I like to go to a handful of Rugby games over winter, and even find the time to attend the odd non-league football match.

This will have disastrous consequences.