I Feel Good Discussion Thread

Axl is sounding fantastic on this one. Why he doesnt sing like this on every other track and instead chooses his annoying clean voice is beyond me. Hopefully he is saviing his voice for a GNR reunion.

Slash's guitar playing is kinda nice. Not spetacular by any means. But yeah, its ok.

Now everything else -- I mean everything else and specially the arrangements -- is really, really, really horrible.

To everyone saying they "GNRed" this song, well I disagree completely.

Guns n Roses was the band tha "GNRed" and made it better every cover they played when they existed -- from Dylan to Rose Tattoo, from the Stones to ACDC and everything in between.

Now what this band did to this song has nothing to do with what GNR used to do with covers.

This sounds more like Slash and Axl guesting on a Las Vegas band or something. It sounds truly awful and grooveless -- except for Axl and Slash.

This awful cover version -- again, with the exception of a very good Axl and a passable/OK Slash -- is just one more evidence -- along with that "Better" intro, along with what these people been doing to Rocket Queen and pretty much every other GNR song, along with every "new" thing this band does -- that it is very, very unlikely that any good thing will come out of this band while the aliens remain in the lineup. Yes, they need Izzy to get a song "GNRed" like they used to do.

• Like 1

I remember being at the Rock in Rio Lisbon show.

i believe he did part of it there- kind of spontaneously came out of some jamming.

Axl said something like, "see, we are a real fucking hand"

sorry if I confused the show with another- I just remember it being a cool moment 

Amazing that Axl is hiding this voice. I mean realistically he doesn't have many more years left, it's sad to consider but why preserve a voice that's going to be lost to the ages soon enough? Why not give us a time capsule of incredible endurance and talent? People might consider his voice lost after 2002...but we have proof in 2017 that something great was still there. 

10 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

Amazing that Axl is hiding this voice. I mean realistically he doesn't have many more years left, it's sad to consider but why preserve a voice that's going to be lost to the ages soon enough? Why not give us a time capsule of incredible endurance and talent? People might consider his voice lost after 2002...but we have proof in 2017 that something great was still there. 

Either he's saving it for working with Angus and making an album..or he legit thinks the falsetto voice sounds great.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ludurigan said:

Axl is sounding fantastic on this one. Why he doesnt sing like this on every other track and instead chooses his annoying clean voice is beyond me. Hopefully he is saviing his voice for a GNR reunion.

Slash's guitar playing is kinda nice. Not spetacular by any means. But yeah, its ok.

Now everything else -- I mean everything else and specially the arrangements -- is really, really, really horrible.

Guns n Roses was the band tha "GNRed" and made it better every cover they played when they existed -- from Dylan to Rose Tattoo, from the Stones to ACDC and everything in between.

Now what this band did to this song has nothing to do with what GNR used to do with covers.

This sounds more like Slash and Axl guesting on a Las Vegas band or something. It sounds truly awful and grooveless -- except for Axl and Slash.

This awful cover version -- again, with the exception of a very good Axl and a passable/OK Slash -- is just one more evidence -- along with that "Better" intro, along with what these people been doing to Rocket Queen and pretty much every other GNR song, along with every "new" thing this band does -- that it is very, very unlikely that any good thing will come out of this band while the aliens remain in the lineup. Yes, they need Izzy to get a song "GNRed" like they used to do.

Agreed. Sad but true. 

Its one think for Axl to jokingly sing this song inbetween songs but to actually cover it with this really lame arrangement? 

I love James Brown but I can think of a million other funk and rock songs that would come off better. 

But they need less covers not more. Frank is a great guy but he's just not up to par next to Slash, Axl & Duff. Which is so odd because no one knows the importance of playing with the right drummer than those guys

16 hours ago, ludurigan said:

Agreed. Sad but true. 

Its one think for Axl to jokingly sing this song inbetween songs but to actually cover it with this really lame arrangement? 

I love James Brown but I can think of a million other funk and rock songs that would come off better. Wichita Lineman is a great tribute to Glen and it replaced BHS. They should've stopped there.

But they need less covers not more

Edited by Top-Hatted One

10 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Either he's saving it for working with Angus and making an album..or he legit thinks the falsetto voice sounds great.

Yea it's like singing in your car or shower. You sound good to yourself, or in your head. But what is being projected isn't so pleasant. 

Which Axl should be using a chest voice anyways. His clean voice is fine if it has a nasally fill in it. I know Axl hated his Lies voice but it's actually a really good example of what his clean voice should be. And also what he's done recently with Witchita Lineman is brilliant...it's nasally but has a pleasant sound.

that falsetto mickeyish voice is completely foreign to his natural voice. It makes no sense why he makes such a strong effort to incorporate it

Wouldn't be my first choice for a cover song but it's an extra song in an already lengthy set and I wouldn't ever want to complain about that. Can't say the guys are phoning it in when they're playing for 3 hours. They could literally play for an hour less per night and no one would ever say they felt ripped off. As for his voice, it's SOOOO good on this. Would kill to hear the end of Estranged, or the end of Rocket Queen get this treatment on a regular basis.

On 01/09/2017 at 11:55 PM, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Good to get a POV from someone who was there.  Why was it a fail?  I'm guessing wrong type of song for this band.  What was the vibe of the crowd around you?  Were they into it?  

It just didn't work. It was like enjoying a 10 course gourmet meal and then the waiter comes out with chicken fingers. Odd analogy, I know. I like chicken fingers as much as the next guy, but WTF? 

I am all for artistic freedom, but isn't it time to do so with new music?

Edited by richardbc

On 2/9/2017 at 9:16 PM, ericy210 said:

I remember being at the Rock in Rio Lisbon show.

i believe he did part of it there- kind of spontaneously came out of some jamming.

Axl said something like, "see, we are a real fucking hand"

sorry if I confused the show with another- I just remember it being a cool moment 

This is awful.  Terrible arrangement, Axl all over the place with his scream (trying to replicate his L&LD yell at one point), and just completely off-rhythm.

I think some people in this forum are way too insulated when it comes to Gn'R. I've seen them numerous times over the past 30 years.  But show this to any casual fan, and I'll bet 9/10 hate it.  "But you weren't there!  People were into it!" Well, from what I saw, people on the floor weren't dancing, and a ton of people in the other sections were getting up to leave for concessions or whatever.

Let's just call a spade a spade. This wasn't good. Anywhere. Any performance. 

On 02/09/2017 at 8:01 PM, IncitingChaos said:

That's what I kept hearing too 

2:50-3:07 - Goosebumps.....Great sign , towards the end of the note, the Rasp just hits even harder ! That's just as good as old Axl....
Life in the old dog yet ! This MUST stay for that Rio stream, please ! 
I hope it will...

On 9/2/2017 at 10:24 PM, IncitingChaos said:

I have been repeating the same thing over and over again since 2003. However, few have listened. Axl turns his "rasp" on and off. Evidently, he is doing this to preserve vocal stamina. Back in the early 1990s, he did not have this ability. He has been doing this since 1999 or so (perhaps earlier). This is most likely the biggest difference between his heyday and post-Y2K vocal techniques.  

58 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

2:50-3:07 - Goosebumps.....Great sign , towards the end of the note, the Rasp just hits even harder ! That's just as good as old Axl....
Life in the old dog yet ! This MUST stay for that Rio stream, please ! 
I hope it will...

That's criminally insane that he knows and can hit that note...all the while sounding completely off key, out of tune, broken on songs that require less. 

He sounds deaf at times on some of the notes he misses but then clearly shows the capability to hit far superior notes like the one you pin pointed. 

Only time I've seen him on point like this on a gnr song is Coma from Houston 3:12

On 02/09/2017 at 8:55 PM, ludurigan said:

Great post, man. I totally agree. Axl sounds great, Slash is OK, Duff is forgetable - and the rest is awful. Amazing how they turn such a groovy tune into this dull mess. Well, like they do with every other track that calls for some groove, as you said, Rocket Queen, and also Mr. Brownstone, to name a few.

On tracks like this, Frank and Fortus are embarrassingly bad. Completely mechanical and spineless. And it's a shame, not to say stupid, that they have TWO keyboard players in the band yet we can't hear some strong piano this song could use.

It's true, they need Izzy back, and they should definetly get rid of Frank. The drummer's job is to find the groove within the groove, he can barely find the groove. Bring back Adler, or get Brain out of retirement. Anything.

With this new arrengement and the Better intro - which is completely empty and honestly feels like a bunch of school musicians trying to sound METAL - , I feel like Axl and Slash could very well work together right now, but there's not much in between to glue'em together, musically. Axl sounds good when he wants, so it's a matter of getting him interested. But everything Slash does with a weak band just sounds dull and heavy. Like he doesn't know where to go and just shreds infinetely, adding more weight as the phrases go by.

Edited by ManetsBR

1 hour ago, IncitingChaos said:

That's criminally insane that he knows and can hit that note...all the while sounding completely off key, out of tune, broken on songs that require less. 

He sounds deaf at times on some of the notes he misses but then clearly shows the capability to hit far superior notes like the one you pin pointed. 

Only time I've seen him on point like this on a gnr song is Coma from Houston 3:12

Honestly, I think there's a lot of things to it...one, sometimes he just feels it, another, he's bored of singing the same songs...
Solution : RELEASE SOME FUCKING MUSIC !!

6 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

Honestly, I think there's a lot of things to it...one, sometimes he just feels it, another, he's bored of singing the same songs...
Solution : RELEASE SOME FUCKING MUSIC !!

Great solution! However his feels are too consistent. He constantly nails and misses the same songs. And yet we know it's not from a lack of ability 

1 hour ago, ManetsBR said:

Great post, man. I totally agree. Axl sounds great, Slash is OK, Duff is forgetable - and the rest is awful. Amazing how they turn such a groovy tune into this dull mess. Well, like they do with every other track that calls for some groove, as you said, Rocket Queen, and also Mr. Brownstone, to name a few.

On tracks like this, Frank and Fortus are embarrassingly bad. Completely mechanical and spineless. And it's a shame, not to say stupid, that they have TWO keyboard players in the band yet we can't hear some strong piano this song could use.

It's true, they need Izzy back, and they should definetly get rid of Frank. The drummer's job is to find the groove within the groove, he can barely find the groove. Bring back Adler, or get Brain out of retirement. Anything.

With this new arrengement and the Better intro - which is completely empty and honestly feels like a bunch of school musicians trying to sound METAL - , I feel like Axl and Slash could very well work together right now, but there's not much in between to glue'em together, musically. Axl sounds good when he wants, so it's a matter of getting him interested. But everything Slash does with a weak band just sounds dull and heavy. Like he doesn't know where to go and just shreds infinetely, adding more weight as the phrases go by.

EXACTLY. Musically, these 2 guys are embarrassingly bad indeed, there is no better way to describe them. I would say they are embarrassingly bad on EVERY GNR SONG, but on some of them their disgusting musical abilities are "covered up" and it goes unnoticed. But it clearly gets exposed on so many other songs. Seriously. These guys should have the decency to walk away. They had their fun. Its not like they are there for only 3 months or for 3 years. They have travelled the entire planet multiple times and they are likely having the time of their lives for more than a decade in a gig that they absolutely dont deserve (musically) to be part of. I cant understand for the life of me why these people stilll have their "jobs". These 2 guys must be really nice, pleasant, good-heart, hard-working people because thats the only possible explanation for them to stay on this band for soo long. Musically they are despicable. They destroy this band to the point that it can'tt be recognized as GNR while they are on it.

Your description of the "better" intro should appear on the giant screen right before the song starts...

Yes, Axl just needs to be interested to sound great. It's been proven on several occasions. Slash is playing allright -- and great at times. But to reach that GNR-magic level both of them really need that glue, that groove, that rhythm, you know, it has a name, the name is Izzy (and Steven)

Problem for the few of us who would love to be able to listen to the magic GNR sound (be it playing old songs, cover songs or, specially in my case, NEW SONGS) I just dont think they care about that. AT ALL.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BKinNYC said:

This is awful.  Terrible arrangement, Axl all over the place with his scream (trying to replicate his L&LD yell at one point), and just completely off-rhythm.

I think some people in this forum are way too insulated when it comes to Gn'R. I've seen them numerous times over the past 30 years.  But show this to any casual fan, and I'll bet 9/10 hate it.  "But you weren't there!  People were into it!" Well, from what I saw, people on the floor weren't dancing, and a ton of people in the other sections were getting up to leave for concessions or whatever.

Let's just call a spade a spade. This wasn't good. Anywhere. Any performance. 

Cheese city embarrassing really they need to never play it agian