The Religion/Spirituality Thread

Ace Nova

4 minutes ago, soon said:

God reveals Godself to me daily.

Said the choir boy to the psychiatrist! :lol:  

1 minute ago, soon said:

Jesus said it actually, among others.  

Also, I wish youd come across better elders.  Theres lots of answers.  And questions are encouraged

The only answer I'm interested in is god literally appearing in public and saying hi. 

5 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Said the choir boy to the psychiatrist! :lol:  

I didnt know I was viewed as a choir boy... I thought I was viewed as a volatile zealot.  :lol:

Also, though, I might be good for a choir because i note your phrasing would perfectly fit into the song "do you hear what I hear?"

Like; "Said the choir boy to the psychiatrist/ do you hear what I hear (echoed)"

Edited by soon

What I wonder, from the Atheist persons point of view, who say God(s) and the afterlife and such, does not exist because there is no "scientific proof" of it... well what about previous scientific discoveries that were vehemently denied by other scientists and the scientific establishment, that were later shown to be true? Such as the earth being round, or even more recently, that ulcers were caused by a bacteria, and not just "stress". If all those other scientists were proven wrong, just because that bacterium hadn't been discovered to cause ulcers "yet"...couldn't it also therefore be possible that "science" is also wrong about God not existing, just because there hasn't been the so called "a-ha" discovery yet?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

Ask yourself "what would happen to humanity if God appeared?" Would people belive him? If he proved himself to be God, yes. But then what? People WOULD obey, but out of fear, not out of love. He doesn't want that, that's why he gave us FREE WILL. We have the RIGHT to follow or not follow. Those that do are following out of love, not blind devotion. 

That's ridiculous. If he came and was great then we WOULD follow him out of love. It would still be our choice, just now there would actually be a good reason to believe in him. 

And why do you love a god that created smallpox? 

3 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

This thread hurts my brain. I am not religious...i think i might be a bit thick actually. What's the difference between being atheist or agnostic? @soon

Atheist believe there is no God.  Agnostics are unsure or open to possibility.  Sometimes an agnostic might not believe in the possibility of a God but none the less remain open and choose to identify as agnostic.  Agnostic translates to 'wth out knowledge / with out divine knowledge.

I think this thread hurts all our brains!

Edited by soon
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Whiskey Rose said:

What I wonder, from the Atheist persons point of view, who say God(s) and the afterlife and such, does not exist because there is no "scientific proof" of it... well what about previous scientific discoveries that were vehemently denied by other scientists and the scientific establishment, that were later shown to be true? Such as the earth being round, or even more recently, that ulcers were caused by a bacteria, and not just "stress". If all those other scientists were proven wrong, just because that bacterium hadn't been discovered to cause ulcers "yet"...couldn't it also therefore be possible that "science" is also wrong about God not existing, just because there hasn't been the so called "a-ha" discovery yet?

Scientists literally live to prove other scientists wrong.  That's kinda their job.  To think that there are any sacred truths in science is to completely misunderstand the scientific method. What scientists will never do is make a claim without evidence and that evidence will always be published for peer review. 

1 minute ago, soon said:

Atheist believe there is no God.  Agnostics are unsure or open to possibility.  Sometimes an agnostic might not believe in the possibility of a God but none the less remain open and choose to identify as agnostic.  Agnostic translates to 'wth out knowledge / with out divine knowledge.

Thank you. I am an atheist then. Are we still mates now?

5 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Is that supposed to explain why there isn't any miracles anymore? Because god said to stop bothering him and his followers obey? 

I know you say theres no miracles. 

The God revealed in Christ is far more loving and liberatory then you sometimes express

5 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

This thread hurts my brain. I am not religious...i think i might be a bit thick actually. What's the difference between being atheist or agnostic? @soon

Agnostics are fannies basically. :lol: 

Edited by Dazey
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Well, you might not, but most christians ask for signs and wonders regularly as part of their prayers. Some even claim he hears them, and communicates with them. 

Feeling Gods presence isnt something we/I would call a miracle.  Having answer to prayer isnt really either.  God most certainly hears our prayers

Edited by soon

10 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Is that supposed to explain why there isn't any miracles anymore? Because god said to stop bothering him and his followers obey? 

There aren't any miracles anymore because cameraphones. :lol: 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, janrichmond said:

I dunno how strict the rules are for those that believe.

I live under zero rules, just am happy to fall into the love of God.  And knowing Gods love Im not opposed to the wisdom of scripture.  Im glad to embrace the path of Jesus.  No one forced me.

Most people I know arent believers.  

I like you a lot.  One of my top picks of the entire world wide web!

6 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Scientists literally live to prove other scientists wrong.  That's kinda their job.  To think that there are any sacred truths in science is to completely misunderstand the scientific method. What scientists will never do is make a claim without evidence and that evidence will always be published for peer review. 

Ok, makes sense, but you and soulmonster are making claims (of belief :lol:) based on "lack of evidence" from science. Or am I misreading you. So my question still remains, using my above example, is it not possible that the view that you hold, which is based on science, be wrong? Especially since you just say there is no sacred truth.

I am getting myself confused now.. @janrichmond help me :lol:

• Haha 1