One In A Million being erased from history

I read a political correctness story yesterday. A woman received a nasty letter from her bank saying she had used ''racism'' towards a member of staff; it turns out that she mentioned Bradford ''being the curry capital'' upon receiving news that a member of staff was from that aforementioned place. He must have decided to be offended at some point posthumous to their conversation.

The world is literally going bonkers. 0

Presenting media made-up stories does not take away from the fact of OIAM having offensive words that discriminate minorities.

There's nothing in the OIAM case that is comparable to the fake news you people read on FB newsfeed.

Overcoming obstacles in life has nothing to do with being segregated, stigmatized and harassed, just so you can justify that others must suffer in order to grow a thicker skin.

The main character of OIAM it is not a school kid bully. It is a twenty-something guy, prejudiced and selfish, spitting venom on people he doesnt know at all. He probably shared with those people much more than he knew at the time, but somehow he felt he didnt belong with them.

Edited by killuridols

This thread title is so dramatic and a complete overreaction.

14 hours ago, Kwick1 said:

The millinials grew up in a everyone's a winner environment. Every kid gets a trophy whether or not the kid is on the winning team. I'm surprised schools even give grades. But given that these kids who are now young adults haven't known challenges of overcoming obstacles for the most part is it surprising that they believe an ugly history can be forgotten by removing such things as statues, school / street names or songs? 

What part of removing statues/street names etc of offensive figures is erasing history? If statues and street names of people who fought for the enslavement of others are the only way to educate then you've got a bigger problem than them being taken down.

No one wants to erase the ugly aspects of history but statues/having a street named after you are honours, and honours need not be given to people like that.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

14 hours ago, Kwick1 said:

The millinials grew up in a everyone's a winner environment. Every kid gets a trophy whether or not the kid is on the winning team. I'm surprised schools even give grades. But given that these kids who are now young adults haven't known challenges of overcoming obstacles for the most part is it surprising that they believe an ugly history can be forgotten by removing such things as statues, school / street names or songs? 

1) The millennials who grew up in this environment were introduced to it by prior generations. 2) OIAM caused significant controversy at the time of its release. While it would undoubtedly cause controversy today, let's not pretend that 1989 was without its social justice bullshit. 3) This song was likely excluded from the boxset at the request of the band or its record label - it's not the fault of 'the millennials'. 

Edited by Live Like a Suicide

49 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

1) The millennials who grew up in this environment were introduced to it by prior generations. 2) OIAM caused significant controversy at the time of its release. While it would undoubtedly cause controversy today, let's not pretend that 1989 was without its social justice bullshit. 3) This song was likely excluded from the boxset at the request of the band or its record label - it's not the fault of 'the millennials'. 

In fact you need to go right the way back to the 1950s to escape that shit, pretty much snowflakes from that point on, thats what the American anti SJW brigade are harking back to, crew cuts and segregation :lol:  The world was so much better in them days, I know I seen it on the telly, right after Sesame Street :lol:

• Like 1

From that Rolling stone interview with Axl in 99

"Rather than simply create a work that's negative and vengeful, though, Rose seems anxious to make something "positive." Along these lines, he recently decided to remove the two most controversial G n' R tracks, "One in a Million," from 1989's GN'R Lies – with its lyrics disparaging "hooray for tolerance!s," "immigrants" and "hooray for tolerance!s" – and the cover of Charles Manson's "Look at Your Game Girl," which ends 1993's The Spaghetti Incident?. While he's always been reluctant to explain or justify his art, Rose has come to believe that "they're too easily misinterpreted." Starting in February, the tracks will be deleted from future pressings."

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/axl-speaks-20000203

Not sure why this was a surprise to anyone.   🤔 

1 hour ago, Bitchisback said:

From that Rolling stone interview with Axl in 99

"Rather than simply create a work that's negative and vengeful, though, Rose seems anxious to make something "positive." Along these lines, he recently decided to remove the two most controversial G n' R tracks, "One in a Million," from 1989's GN'R Lies – with its lyrics disparaging "hooray for tolerance!s," "immigrants" and "hooray for tolerance!s" – and the cover of Charles Manson's "Look at Your Game Girl," which ends 1993's The Spaghetti Incident?. While he's always been reluctant to explain or justify his art, Rose has come to believe that "they're too easily misinterpreted." Starting in February, the tracks will be deleted from future pressings."

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/axl-speaks-20000203

Not sure why this was a surprise to anyone.   🤔 

That's the fourth or fifth time someone posts it in the thread :lol:

He didn't do what this article from 2018 ago said eventually, as the song has never been removed from the original album.

Edited by Blackstar

38 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

That's the fourth or fifth time someone posts it in the thread :lol:

He didn't do what this article from 2018 ago said eventually, as the song has never been removed from the original album.

I'm aware the songs have not been removed but it should be painfully obvious that they aren't going to be rereleased and why. 

2 minutes ago, Bitchisback said:

I'm aware the songs have not been removed but it should be painfully obvious that they aren't going to be rereleased and why. 

I think it's safe to say that Lies won't ever be officially re-issued, so the original album will still be there in all forms.

The important thing here is that the so-called censorship is not coming from any "SJW" or PC groups but the band themselves. Well, I don't know if it can be called auto-censorship but they've made a decision and it should be respected by the fans.

We don't know exactly why OIAM was not included in the AFD box set, we are only assuming things here but probably we are close to the truth.

So if the band considers they no longer want to give attention to that song, there's no reason for us to try to do the opposite. Personally, OIAM does not represent me, it is not my story, not my experience, not my feelings, hence I have no business appropriating Axl's intentions, for good or for bad. 

Streisand Effect, a classic example of why censorship is self-defeating, it only drawing attention to the very thing being censored. If ''One In A Million'' was included, we wouldn't be having this debate, and resurfacing these old arguments again pertaining to Rose and racisim. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Streisand Effect, a classic example of why censorship is self-defeating, it only drawing attention to the very thing being censored. If ''One In A Million'' was included, we wouldn't be having this debate, and resurfacing these old arguments again pertaining to Rose and racisim. 

Obviously, just my opinion, but had it been re-released, the backlash would be massive and everybody would be after them wanting to know why they are rekindling an old fire.

In a few days, this little controversy will dissipate. If it wasn't for a couple of overreacting cry babies that brought attention to it, media (or very few) would have not noticed the absence. 

Edited by killuridols

1 minute ago, killuridols said:

Obviously, just my opinion, but had it been re-released, the backlash would be massive and everybody would be after them wanting to know why they are rekindling an old fire.

In a few days, this little controversy will dissipate. If it wasn't for a couple of overreacting cry babies that brought attention to it, media (or very few) would have noticed the absence. 

I'm clueless in this politically correct age. People seem to get offended by just about everything. 

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

I'm clueless in this politically correct age. People seem to get offended by just about everything. 

I think most people live their lives normally. Media make up stories and fake news in order to keep the status quo.

1 minute ago, killuridols said:

I think most people live their lives normally. Media make up stories and fake news in order to keep the status quo.

Well I'm about as politically correct as Attila the Hun so you are talking with the wrong person here haha. I can however say from experience it is not all media generated. The children in the primary school near me sing, ''bah bah Rainbow sheep''.

For fear of offending ehh black sheeps apparently!

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Well I'm about as politically correct as Attila the Hun so you are talking with the wrong person here haha. I can however say from experience it is not all media generated. The children in the primary school near me sing, ''bah bah Rainbow sheep''.

I don't know about that.....

But rainbow sheep sounds much better than black sheep! :lol: and its more fun having to draw a rainbow sheep than a black one :P

Rainbow sheep is still an odd sheep but cooler and unloaded of negative charge. 

Police n' Rainbow people, that's right 
Get outta my way
Don't need to buy none of your 
Rainbow-colored wool today

:rofl-lol:

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, killuridols said:

I don't know about that.....

But rainbow sheep sounds much better than black sheep! :lol: and its more fun having to draw a rainbow sheep than a black one :P

Rainbow sheep is still an odd sheep but cooler and unloaded of negative charge. 

Police n' Rainbow people, that's right 
Get outta my way
Don't need to buy none of your 
Rainbow-colored wool today

:rofl-lol:

They also prohibited the three wise men and Joseph from wearing a Keffiyeh or similar scarfed headdress - an utilitarian head covering in arid regions, protecting against heat and sand - because it might offend, ehh, Islamic-Arabic people!!

50 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Thats ridiculous!  But, if one takes that as an example of SJW logic wherein an issue is created where there isnt an issue, then it gets awkward for this thread...

OIAM is a Lies track and people are upset it was one of many tracks not included in a AFD box set.  Are people triggered over nothing and asking that society maintain a safe space for them to hear slurs against marginalized people - even though they already have that?

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

They also prohibited the three wise men and Joseph from wearing a Keffiyeh or similar scarfed headdress - an utilitarian head covering in arid regions, protecting against heat and sand - because it might offend, ehh, Islamic-Arabic people!!

Aww :lol:

Is that in the entire UK or what? 

Just now, killuridols said:

Aww :lol:

Is that in the entire UK or what? 

Just my nephew's primary school but Britain is riddled with political correctness. Not as bad as Australia though; in Melbourne they replaced green/red men (for crossing the road) with women to deter, ''unconscious gender bias''.

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

Just my nephew's primary school but Britain is riddled with political correctness. Not as bad as Australia though; in Melbourne they replaced green/red men (for crossing the road) with women to deter, ''unconscious gender bias''.

We have many of those here in my place (green/red female light). Its been like 5 years since they were implemented and I dont think anyone protested. At this point, I dont even notice them with detention anymore :shrugs:

What I dont like is receiving the newsletters from the University with some words changed, because our language (Spanish) is full of genderized sustantives and adjectives, so instead of "amigos" (as a plural for both genders) they write it as "amigxs". The 'O' and 'A' are replaced by an X.

I dont like it because it makes it difficult to read and I consider it a butchering of the language :shrugs:

3 minutes ago, killuridols said:

We have many of those here in my place (green/red female light). Its been like 5 years since they were implemented and I dont think anyone protested. At this point, I dont even notice them with detention anymore :shrugs:

What I dont like is receiving the newsletters from the University with some words changed, because our language (Spanish) is full of genderized sustantives and adjectives, so instead of "amigos" (as a plural for both genders) they write it as "amigxs". The 'O' and 'A' are replaced by an X.

I dont like it because it makes it difficult to read and I consider it a butchering of the language :shrugs:

Indeed - Latin heritage (singular nominative case: -a, feminine, -us, male).

When the Spanish prohibit their classic initiation ritual of the male giving the female a big hearty slap on the backside, then we know we have problems!