One In A Million being erased from history

1 minute ago, killuridols said:

You can't back up your stuff, then?

Wow, I never thought I'd see the day when DieselDaisy can't counter argue something :lol:

Why on earth were you asking whether or not I ''have a problem with black people, immigrants and gays?''. Totally irrelevant. 

13 hours ago, Original said:

Too bad  “Guns n Roses” circa 1994-2015ish can’t be erased.  Way more offensive than OIAM in my opinion.  

At the very least the Ashba years.

People talk about artistc integrity when that ship sailed long ago.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Why on earth were you asking whether or not I ''have a problem with black people, immigrants and gays?''. Totally irrelevant. 

Because it is really hard to understand what constitutes "PC non-sense" about OIAM or about this thread, since you are just replying one liners and whinging about it. You are not being clear (at least not to me) about what bothers you, so that leaves me to think inanities about you.

I'm sorry, it's your fault! :P

18 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Because it is really hard to understand what constitutes "PC non-sense" about OIAM or about this thread, since you are just replying one liners and whinging about it. You are not being clear (at least not to me) about what bothers you, so that leaves me to think inanities about you.

I'm sorry, it's your fault! :P

Maybe he's sick of white knights like you judging everyone.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

8 minutes ago, Tonto said:

Maybe he's sick of white knights like you judging everyone.

Uh. Huh. Really? Where's my OIAM? :lol:

I am trying to understand where DieselDaisy is coming from or what exactly bothers him. I value his opinion. I don't have the same feeling for yours, though. So you can say whatever you want, just don't get between me and the Diesel guy.

3 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Uh. Huh. Really? Where's my OIAM? :lol:

I am trying to understand where DieselDaisy is coming from or what exactly bothers him. I value his opinion. I don't have the same feeling for yours, though. So you can say whatever you want, just don't get between me and the Diesel guy.

Take it to PM then (if you don't want anyone to get between you). You can peddle your white knight, PC hero nonsense, in peace. Keep fighting for those equal rights!

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, killuridols said:

You stop the ignorance because in this department, you will lose badly. And no, women don't have equal rights in the USA, more over so black and latin women have a lot to conquer still. Besides, the USA is not the whole world and I usually tend to speak of a global situation, so sew it :lol:

What rights do men in the USA have that women in the USA don't have?

We're talking about an English speaking band from the USA. I don't think One In a Million had much of an impact in Iraq for example.

I'm waiting to lose badly... come on, hot shot, one RIGHT men have in the USA that women do not. Just name ONE.

• GNFNR 1

3 minutes ago, Tonto said:

Take it to PM then (if you don't want anyone to get between you). You can peddle your white knight, PC hero nonsense, in peace. Keep fighting for those equal rights!

I will not take it to PM because I think DieselDaisy (or anyone else) is a person of his own, with enough brain to defend himself or explain himself or argue, counter argue and even ignore me by himself. He doesn't need a virtual rottweiler coming into his defense.

Don't talk to me anymore, I'm putting you on block, I am not interested in your ignorant comments and your silly personal attacks are utterly embarassing.

Goodbye.

Just now, killuridols said:

I will not take it to PM because I think DieselDaisy (or anyone else) is a person of his own, with enough brain to defend himself or explain himself or argue, counter argue and even ignore me by himself. He doesn't need a virtual rottweiler coming into his defense.

Don't talk to me anymore, I'm putting you on block, I am not interested in your ignorant comments and your silly personal attacks are utterly embarassing.

Goodbye.

Of course, you're not talking to me because you can't defend your position. You're scared and now you're going to run and hide under the guise of taking the moral high ground.

6 minutes ago, Tonto said:

Of course, you're not talking to me because you can't defend your position. You're scared and now you're going to run and hide under the guise of taking the moral high ground.

This is not a thread about women's rights. It is about the song OAIM and its derivated discussion of why it was not included in the recently released AFD box set.

If you are unable to understand the basic rules of a thread, that tells me you will just make me waste my time if I decided to go on debates with you.

You do not qualify.

9 minutes ago, killuridols said:

This is not a thread about women's rights. It is about the song OAIM and its derivated discussion of why it was not included in the recently released AFD box set.

If you are unable to understand the basic rules of a thread, that tells me you will just make me waste my time if I decided to go on debates with you.

You do not qualify.

The mods should get that blocked function fixed for you.

You're right it's not about women's rights, not sure why you brought it up while discussing the song in the first place? Do you not understand the basic rules of a thread?

• GNFNR 1

2 minutes ago, Tonto said:

The mods should get that blocked function fixed for you.

You're right it's not about women's rights, not sure why you brought it up while discussing the song in the first place? Do you not understand the basic rules of a thread?

@RONIN brought it up when he compared OIAM to UTLH. Also @Blackstar responded to it.

Thanks for confirming that you do not really qualify for this sort of debate. You can't even back up your attacks. Lame and oh.... one last thing  :heart:

A piece of advice: if you are so eagerly wanting to discuss women's rights and patriarchy, then open your own thread about that topic. You can use any GN'R song as a trigger (you've got plenty to choose from :lol:)... UTLH, Back Off Bitch, It's So Easy, anything..... and make it available to the whole forum.

Because since you call me a coward, I assume you will have the balls big enough to confront a whole forum with your own thread, instead of hijacking this one, where chances of other people willing to discuss the new topic are reduced and that gives you the advantage of not having your vision confronted by differing opinions. Is there anything more coward than that? I don't think so but that's how you play. LOL.

• GNFNR 1

3 minutes ago, killuridols said:

@RONIN brought it up when he compared OIAM to UTLH. Also @Blackstar responded to it.

Thanks for confirming that you do not really qualify for this sort of debate. You can't even back up your attacks. Lame and oh.... one last thing  :heart:

You brought it up when you stated that "women are still fighting for their rights", you are the only one to make that BS statement.

I know you'd like to be able to post something and then never have anyone judge the validity of that post but that's not how it works. You post shit someones going to have something to say about it.

My interest is not in women's rights, it's in people like you, PC snowflakes, attacking others and then posting nonsense like above.

Edited by Tonto
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, killuridols said:

You do not qualify.

Umm wut? 

2 hours ago, soon said:

Interesting.  Sounds like a very Axl Rose the visionary type of concept.  To cause a stir once by releasing and then cause a stir 30 31 years latter for removing it.  It gives good character development for the myth that is Axl Rose.

Its actually been only 30 years, not 31. But yeah I get your point.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Its actually been only 30 years, not 31. But yeah I get your point.

Oh right, its the AFD 30th anniversary box set being one year late that lead to me mis-speaking.  Which highlights how theres no reason for OIAM to even be a mandatory track on this box set

3 minutes ago, soon said:

Oh right, its the AFD 30th anniversary box set being one year late that lead to me mis-speaking.  Which highlights how theres no reason for OIAM to even be a mandatory track on this box set

The box set is not late, this is the 30th year since Appetite was released. It's not one year late at all, it's on time.

3 minutes ago, Tonto said:

The box set is not late, this is the 30th year since Appetite was released. It's not one year late at all, it's on time.

AFD was released in 1987.  That is why most of us anticipated that the Apollo show on July 20th, 2017 was the 30 year anniversary show - that at midnight it would be the 30th anniversary of the albums release.  Rocknroll41 was correct to point out that since the Lies EP was released in 1988, that the track OIAM was only 30 years old.  31 years since Appetites release.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, soon said:

AFD was released in 1987.  That is why most of us anticipated that the Apollo show on July 20th, 2017 was the 30 year anniversary show - that at midnight it would be the 30th anniversary of the albums release.  Rocknroll41 was correct to point out that since the Lies EP was released in 1988, that the track OIAM was only 30 years old.  31 years since Appetites release.

It's not been 31 years since Appetite was released, that's a fact. It will be 31 years in July, this is the 30th year since appetite was released. It's only maths mate, don't let it stress you out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Who gives a shit?? If the band no longer stands behind the song, that’s their choice. If Axl has changed his opinions and adjusted accordingly, that’s his choice. Anyone who is actually upset that One in a Million was left off this box set needs to take a few mins (at least) to re-evaluate their life and the things they find to be important.

The band owes you nothing. The song is juvenile. I liked it when I was 10 years old. At 35, it’s pretty cringeworthy. If I never heard the song again in my life, I wouldn’t lose any sleep over it, and neither should anyone else. 

• Like 4

We knew way back in the early 2000's Axl intended to remove it from future album pressings. It's something he no longer cares to defend or explain and as he's grown into an adult, he probably identifies with little of the song anymore.

I say, let the guy remove a song. It's not being "erased." It still exists for the people who want to find it, who like it, who can hear it whenever they want.

After 1990, Prince didn't want to perform a large selection of his eighties songs anymore because of the sexual nature of them. He probably didn't stop feeling sexy but an artist reaches a point when controversy just isn't worth it anymore.

• Like 2

I told you I'm about the most un-political correct person on earth. To simply talk in a political correct manner is like a red rag to a bull with me (especially if it is in an estuary accent haha). ''Ee' quality n' Dye versity'', 'Elf N' Saef' Tee''. I've been forced to attend their courses. I hate their rubbish. I hate their newspaper, The Guardian. I hate their sour hatchet faces and their humourless dispositions.

I have made my feelings clear about ''One in a Million'' on multiple occasions here: it is hypocritical and putrid garbage (great guitar solo mind). But all this does is produce the Streisand Effect. People will be alerted to the omission of the track and consciously seek it out, either by downloading or picking up a cheap copy of Lies. In England we had the video nasties, banned films (we had heavy film censorship in those days), and every kid would go to excessive lengths to seek these films out even though most of them were trash. The very act of censoring publicised the thing. 

Similarly Rose tried to ban his fat memes, cue, a proliferation of yet more fat memes!

But it is their work of course. They can delete it if they want. 

On ‎04‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 1:27 PM, Tom-Ass said:

I am sure this was mentioned somewhere already but I think it deserves it's own thread since it is a pretty highly regarded Gn'R song.

Well I called this in another thread the other day. I said they should add Shadows of Your Love to Live like a Suicide which they did and it was a great move.. Then I said they would probably counter that with the shitty move of removing One In A Million.. That is exactly what they did..

How does everyone feel about that? One In A Million is probably in my top 5 Gn'R songs of all time and this kind of bums me out.  Take the racial slurs out and there are still some very powerful lyrics in that song. Take the lyrics out all together and the guitars are a perfect mesh of clean and dirty with an amazing solo. Slash and Izzy at their finest..  Go out and buy your copies of LIES now because that will surely be phased out now.  Good or bad, that song song made a statement.  If Axl stands by his defense of the lyrics, there really shouldn't be an issue.. Just another case of people trying to erase history in this overly political correct world.  Unless it is a rap song with racial lyrics about white people.. That is ok...

Well some say I'm lazy
And others say that's just me
Some say I'm crazy
I guess I'll always be
But it's been such a long time
Since I knew right from wrong
It's all the means to and end I'm 
I keep it moving along

I'll just leave it at this for now. A ton more to say but need to get to work...

I agree, as somebody who'd already decided to travel after a troubled youth, inspired by Beats like Kerouac, I really liked the youthful hobo travel narrative, and wish it had been written more politically correctly. 

On the road you can feel like you're alone and everyone's against you sometimes, and I think that's what Axl was trying to capture.

They were partly inspired by punk, which was often intentionally as offensive as possible, with Nazi names and symbols etc; while rap uses the n-word and is sexist and homophobic.

Reading Slash's autobiography I found him very sexist and perhaps homophobic, but haven't really heard him criticised for it.

Axl was wearing a Manson t-shirt then, which is even worse really, as people were killed. 

I watched a Genderquake debate this week, and legendary feminist Germaine Greer was being castigated for not being trans enough by some young militant trans people, so I think that shows how there'll always be people criticising 'free speech'; in the next generation if not the current.

In twenty years there'll probably be cyborgs criticising whole humans for not caring enough about robots and cyborgs, and Blade Runner will be considered archaic and robotish or something!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Axl's Agony Aunt said:

I agree, as somebody who'd already decided to travel after a troubled youth, inspired by Beats like Kerouac, I really liked the youthful hobo travel narrative, and wish it had been written more politically correctly. 

On the road you can feel like you're alone and everyone's against you sometimes, and I think that's what Axl was trying to capture.

I agree thats what he was trying to capture.  Yet as another kid who also grew up quick and rough Ive had to fight this stigma most of my life.  From both sides.  Other street youths considered me an outsider because I dont call women b!tch3s or speak crudely.  Then on the other hand, well-to-do-people assume that I am those stereotypes.

A narrative that has been mentioned through this thread is about how Axls lyrics reflect an accurate picture of what a small town white boy would naturally view the world as and how he would be shocked to meet the big city.  If we take the lyrics and the various explanations by Axl and Duff as a whole; I would say that this song is by far is primarily derogatory, stigmatizing and prejudiced against small town white boys.  It does not portray the general reality.  Its a small town white boy who also says bigoted bull shit, just like a big city cosmopolitan type can also say bigoted things.  As a small town white boy who met the cruelest realities that city life has to offer at a young age, I am rather disappointed to see this false narrative placed on us.

Im really just using your post as a jump off point to some thoughts Id been having previously.  Not disagreeing with you, but just adding my angle onto part of your analysis.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1