Why I think Shadow of Your Love is re-recorded!

Inb4: I apologize to those who have already seen this in other threads.

This topic concentrates exclusively on Slash and his involvement in re-recording, or lack thereof.

--

I came to this realization upon the 2nd or 3rd listening of Shadow of Your Love. 

It's pretty simple - if you take a look at the comparison below, you would notice a significant semblance between two guitar licks/patterns that appear on both songs. I am almost 100% sure that Slash DID NOT play like this in 1986. This style of playing resurfaced in the early stages of his solo career and has progressed in that direction ever since. 

As far as the sound production and mixing goes - this is definitely not only remastered. but layer-modified so to speak... It definitely is NOT a raw, untouched version of a 1986 recording (as Meegan says).

What do you think?

I think its a 1986 recording produced by Mike Clink that has been remastered and cleaned up as much as possible like every official source says and fans are so desperate for "new" recordings that they look too deeply into things. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, History2010 said:

fans are so desperate for "new" recordings that they look too deeply into things. 

I don't get it. Why woud that be a reason? What's the difference in remixing and retooling it to sound that fresh and just adding an overdub or too?

I see a lot of people with some knowledge in sound/music production saying the same. I did have some amateur experience in mixing and music and I agree that Slash's lead guitar (not only the solo, the small lick in the intro too) sounds new. 

• Like 1

i listen all 1985 and 1986 bootlegs, audios and demos.. Slash never played these licks before Axl kicks in. Why in this? Same with Duff McKagen.. he doesn't do the backing vocals during the chorus (which is cool, i like it. it makes the song dark)

Slash and Duff is new... They re-recorded new Slash licks and keep the intro to stretch the song over the 3 minute mark

Axl Rose and Izzy's layer is untouched.. Izzy still do the little lick 0:34 - 0:37

Wouldn’t surprise me but honestly I only care if Axl’s vocals are redone. His instrument is the one that changes over time and is the rarest sighting in a recording studio. It would be nice knowing that he had returned to record vocals but it’s not the case here and the last evidence we have of him in the studio is 8 years ago 

48 minutes ago, History2010 said:

I think its a 1986 recording produced by Mike Clink that has been remastered and cleaned up as much as possible like every official source says and fans are so desperate for "new" recordings that they look too deeply into things. 

I disagree, I am not desperate nor willing to let anything get in the way of objective facts.  But the guitar solo to me definitely sounds modern tone-wise and in terms of what is characteristic for Slash in modern times contrasted with the tone, guitars, and phrasing he did on even the SOYL demos around the same time period that are not this one

It fits well because the song just hasn't been remastered - it has been remixed, hence the production value is a lot cleaner and more modern sounding in general, but the guitar is too modernized both in tone and in Slash's style to be nothing but new

Edited by WhazUp