Should keyboards and piano be excluded from rock?

Fashionista

It depends on what kind of song/band. If youre in a Rock n Roll band like Guns N Roses, a piano is very welcome. Keyboards not that much... But theres the kind of band that can benefit from that, just not what GNR is (or was, I dont know anymore).

1) Would there even be rock n roll with out piano? Seems to me that we'd only have the country and skiffle elements and not the Rhythm and Blues aspects of R&R if there were no piano.

Not only Little Richard, Fats Domino and Jerry Lee Lewis demonstrate this, but also Chuck Berrys pianist Jonnie Johnson - the name sake and original inspiration for Jonny B Goode. And on that track the piano rolls of Lafayette Leake carry the tune. (btw, whats in the water in Lafayette?!?!?!)

"Written by Berry in 1955, the song is about an illiterate "country boy" from the New Orleans area, who plays a guitar "just like ringing a bell", and who might one day have his "name in lights". Berry acknowledged that the song is partly autobiographical and that the original lyrics referred to Johnny as a "colored boy", but he changed it to "country boy" to ensure radio play. As well as suggesting that the guitar player is good, the title hints at autobiographic elements, because Berry was born at 2520 Goode Avenue, in St. Louis. The song was initially inspired by Johnnie Johnson, the regular piano player in Berry's band, but developed into a song mainly about Berry himself. Johnson played on many other recordings by Berry, but Lafayette Leake played the piano on this song."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_B._Goode

2) The piano is the most common instruments for Producers, arrangers and co-writers to use when working with rock bands to flesh out ideas. And very frequently after working things up on piano, the piano remains a new addition to the arrangement. Or in the case of Aerosmith, the formula is often that Whitford and Perry are one hand of the piano part each.

3) The Rolling Stones, The Band, Grateful Dead, to add to the names already in thread.

4) No boogie-woogie; no Slash. No honky-tonk; no Izzy.

5) And who's afraid of a little synthesizer? 

See what I did there... because he plays "a little synthesizer" hehe

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silverburst80 said:

Piano no never, the keyboard can fuck off though...........unless Ray Manzereks involved.

4 hours ago, default_ said:

It depends on what kind of song/band. If youre in a Rock n Roll band like Guns N Roses, a piano is very welcome. Keyboards not that much... But theres the kind of band that can benefit from that, just not what GNR is (or was, I dont know anymore).

1 hour ago, Fashionista said:

Dust N' Bones has keyboards. 

The main driving saloon style playing sounds like piano to me though it could be a keyboard, i know theres some organ/synth in the mix on the "thats alright" part in the verses but i don't think the song would miss it if it wasn't there. Keyboards and synth have probably not been a positive inclusion to GNR overall, i mean you put AFD and Chinese Democracy side by side and there's only one clear winner.

Edited by Silverburst80

1 minute ago, Silverburst80 said:

The main driving saloon style playing sounds like piano to me though it could be a keyboard, i know theres some organ/synth in the mix on the "thats alright" part in the verses but i don't think the song would miss it if it wasn't there. Keyboards and synth have probably not been a positive inclusion to GNR overall, i mean you put AFD and Chinese Democracy side by side and there's only one clear winner.

I have to agree with your opinion on Dust N' Bones, although it's one of my favorite songs I wouldn't miss this part. Can be different for others, though.

And about Appetite and CD: for most of the GNR fans at least (me included) but there are also some who prefer the CD style, I'm thinking about e.g. my sister, she likes most songs on Appetite but she likes most CD songs better (no pun intended).

22 minutes ago, Dusty Bone said:

I have to agree with your opinion on Dust N' Bones, although it's one of my favorite songs I wouldn't miss this part. Can be different for others, though.

And about Appetite and CD: for most of the GNR fans at least (me included) but there are also some who prefer the CD style, I'm thinking about e.g. my sister, she likes most songs on Appetite but she likes most CD songs better (no pun intended).

Yeah different strokes for different folks and all that.

7 hours ago, Fashionista said:

Keyboards are a great accent. Where CD goes wrong is they are overused. The bits on DNB add texture to the song, flavor. I liked the live piano on Think About You in 2001 and organ on SCOM. I don't think AFD would've flopped with those touches.

The CD album originally had a lot more synthesizers than the final product. Just compare the first live performance of the title track with the studio version.

Edited by Sosso

In addition to what @soon said about the piano, organ/keyboards were very common in 60s rock (garage rock/proto-punk, blues rock, psychedelia...), even essential to some of the most iconic and influential songs.

I don't think the keys take away any of the rawness here:

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1