Shadow of Your Love, Izzy and Paul

so some questions...

Is it known why Shadow of Your Love was left off AFD or the Illusions? I would argue SOYL is a stronger track than Anything Goes and the electric version of Crazy, and that it is stronger than Back Off Bitch and some other songs off the UYIs. It has a catchy chorus and a hard driving groove, even if it is a bit one dimensional. It was apparently written in 1982 by Axl, Izzy and Paul Huge. These three were apparently a team of sorts at one point. Axl knew Paul from the age of 12 and Izzy from his teens so it is likely the three were friends and maybe has some early Lafayette groups together.

Which leads me to: Has Izzy ever commented on Paul Huge? I would be interested to know Izzy's sentiments on him re GNR and in general. Paul is kind of a mystery as we really only have Slash and to a lesser extent Matt's word to go on as regards Paul's abilities and personality. So has Izzy ever mentioned him?

Just now, Sosso said:

I don't think that he ever spoke about PHT. The only known quotes are from Axl, Slash, Duff, Matt and Chris.

on the other hand, these 3 have been in one band together, also with Dave Lank (see Don't Damn Me) back then in the original AXL band in Lafayette (1976-9).

source: http://ladydairhean.0catch.com/Axl/stats.htm

1 minute ago, angriestwhopper said:

Its a generic track. It sounds just like reckless life. 

They needed different songs, thats what makes appetite so good - the variety.

kind of agree. all HR songs sound very similarly. 

4 minutes ago, zombux said:

on the other hand, these 3 have been in one band together, also with Dave Lank (see Don't Damn Me) back then in the original AXL band in Lafayette (1976-9).

source: http://ladydairhean.0catch.com/Axl/stats.htm

The history stuff on that site might be accurate but their financial info isn't.  No way Axl is a multi BILLIONAIRE.

3 minutes ago, Gnrcane said:

The history stuff on that site might be accurate but their financial info isn't.  No way Axl is a multi BILLIONAIRE.

of course, that info needs to be taken with not a grain of salt, but a huge pile :)

anyway, this shows what Axl meant, when he introduced Paul as "the original guitar player" in HOB 2001.

30 minutes ago, Sosso said:

The A.X.L. line-up from 1983 isn't really accurate for me. I always thought that Tracii & Izzy first played together in L.A. Guns / Guns N' Roses

true, even Wikipedia says a bit different thing (that Tracii wasn't playing in the 1983 AXL/Rose lineup, but while Tracii was in LAGuns, he connected Izzy and Chris Weber https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_Rose and Tracii only joined the band - already called Hollywood Rose - later.)

I dont get the whole 'SOYL sounds like Reckless' thing. Does it all stem from Adler saying recently that the drum patterns are basically the same? I never heard it said prior to that. And drum patterns can be similar with out the song being similar (see: AC/DC). To my ears they arent any more similar to one another then they both are to any other Guns rocker.

I too think its pretty flat and one dimensional. Toss in that Izzy plays a lick thats very reminiscent of his WTTJ intro lick, similar drums, and it has the least 'stand out chorus' of, possibly, their entire catalogue. Wasnt needed for AFD or Lies.

As for UYI it strikes me that SOYL is similar to Ain't Going Down in many ways: static riff with out much flare, lacks a stand out chorus (which again just repeats the song title), flat one dimensional arrangement. I bet that only one was in the running to make album.  And in the end neither were needed to round out the albums.

But the simplest explanation might be: Slash honestly hates Paul, and it started way before SFTD. Therefore he refused to put work into the track (like how he opted to have Izzy play lead intro to BOB, for example). But the Slash of NITL couldnt give a damn and played on it again.

It is natural the AFD lineup would prefer songs they had written instead of releasing songs from other writers and having to split royalties. And it didn't really stand out enough compared to the rest of the material thet had at the time.

Personally, I wish it had replaced Anything Goes on Appetite, which in my opinion isn't a good song at all, and which also had an outside writer (Chris Weber).

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

It is natural the AFD lineup would prefer songs they had written instead of releasing songs from other writers and having to split royalties.

THIS is the most likely reason, for sure

oh, an My Way Your Way is absolutely fantastic, how can you not like THIS, every LA hair band from the 80s would kill just to have that intro, or that riff, these hooks, its a crazy good rocker man!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soon said:

But the simplest explanation might be: Slash honestly hates Paul, and it started way before SFTD. Therefore he refused to put work into the track (like how he opted to have Izzy play lead intro to BOB, for example). But the Slash of NITL couldnt give a damn and played on it again.

Slash said in his book though that SOYL was the song he had liked the most the first time he had seen Hollywood Rose, which means that he at least liked it more than Anything Goes, Reckless Life and Back Off Bitch. Unless in the meantime he met Paul, didn't like him and as a consequence disliked the song too; or he didn't like it originally, but he had changed his mind by the time he wrote his book.

• Thanks 1

Just now, AxlRoseCDII said:

SOYL would have fit in pretty nice on UYI I in my opinion.

I was going to write "dude, buy a new pair of ears!"

but actually you might have a point. the first half of UYI I is very pre-UYI songs-heavy. SOYL wouldn't probably fit in there very well, it would be much more Suicide/Lies thing, but it's actually not THAT far from other UYI stuff...

8 hours ago, Fashionista said:

so some questions...

Is it known why Shadow of Your Love was left off AFD or the Illusions? I would argue SOYL is a stronger track than Anything Goes and the electric version of Crazy, and that it is stronger than Back Off Bitch and some other songs off the UYIs. It has a catchy chorus and a hard driving groove, even if it is a bit one dimensional. It was apparently written in 1982 by Axl, Izzy and Paul Huge. These three were apparently a team of sorts at one point. Axl knew Paul from the age of 12 and Izzy from his teens so it is likely the three were friends and maybe has some early Lafayette groups together.

Which leads me to: Has Izzy ever commented on Paul Huge? I would be interested to know Izzy's sentiments on him re GNR and in general. Paul is kind of a mystery as we really only have Slash and to a lesser extent Matt's word to go on as regards Paul's abilities and personality. So has Izzy ever mentioned him?

It was left for GN'R lies; You can hear the version that'd be there in the EP live from the jungle. 

41 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

is there any evidence that paul tobias helped writing shadow of your love?

i always thought it was an izzy-axl-weber song

Axl: Shadow Of Your Love was… I wrote the lyrics kinda influenced by Thin Lizzy. And that was one of the songs that I wrote with Paul Huge, he was original guitarist from Indiana with Izzy and I, and now he’s in a band called Mank Rage. And we just wrote that like in 7 minutes, you know, we did it in 7 minutes years ago and it is something we're really proud of, you know, it’s my friend Josh’s favourite song. […] I pondered the words years before that and then when the song hit it was just like it went to the (?) mental road. It was "hey, let's go!". We had 7 minutes to jam, we didn’t have any equipment so it’s like we didn’t have a choice [Rockline radio interview, 1991].

Here is Duff talking about why it didn't end up on the record: I can't really say for sure why it didn't make the record in the end. It was just a real simple, good rocking song, but I guess it wasn't as "seasoned" as a lot of the other material. And probably Axl didn't quite see the potential in it [Guitar World, 2007 (?)].

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

it’s my friend Josh’s favourite song

:facepalm:

I can easily imagine the situation. a few months ago, Axl & co were sitting on a meeting, and he was like...

"so what would be our next single? what does the guy staying in the back say, new song? NEW SONG??? YOU GONNA DIEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!! SECURITY, THAT GUY, GONE! YEAH IN THAT SHIRT! thank you. okay guys, this new idea of mine is just brilliant. we did a song about 35 years ago and my friend Josh liked it, so this is gonna be the thing. bye, see you again before the next cabaret show."

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by zombux
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, zombux said:

:facepalm:

I can easily imagine the situation. a few months ago, Axl & co were sitting on a meeting, and he was like...

"so what would be our next single? what does the guy staying in the back say, new song? NEW SONG??? YOU GONNA DIEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!! SECURITY, THAT GUY, GONE! YEAH IN THAT SHIRT! thank you. okay guys, this new idea of mine is just brilliant. we did a song about 35 years ago and my friend Josh liked it, so this is gonna be the thing. bye, see you again before the next cabaret show."

you stole the words from my mouth.

Axl must have a INFINITE DESPISE for new songs. geez