Are GNR the new Rolling stones?

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

What Zep cooler than The Stones or the other way round?  i hope you mean the fuckin' other way round!

I believe Zeppelin was considered cooler back in the 70s. I wasn't born yet but that's the impression I got.

6 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I believe Zeppelin was considered cooler back in the 70s. I wasn't born yet but that's the impression I got.

Do me a fuckin' favour!  Those wankers more cooler than The Stones in the 70s, the fuckin' Exile Stones!  Pfft!  The Stones were fuckin' G'ed up in the 70s.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Do me a fuckin' favour!  Those wankers more cooler than The Stones in the 70s, the fuckin' Exile Stones!  Pfft!  The Stones were fuckin' G'ed up in the 70s.

I have no idea what ''G'd up'' means, but maybe you're right? I was born in the 80s so I can't possibly know, but I thought that Zeppelin had a bit more street cred compared to the guys wearing make-up.

Edited by EvanG

38 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I have no idea what ''G'd up'' means, but maybe you're right? I was born in the 80s so I can't possibly know, but I thought that Zeppelin had a bit more street cred compared to the guys wearing make-up.

Make-up was cool in the 70s in Europe, the whole glam thing, Bowie, T-Rex etc., but not in America (unless it was Alice Cooper or Kiss kind of make-up) except for underground circles.

Regardless, I think that until Exile On Main St., or maybe until Goats Head Soup, the Stones were still seen as cooler, although Zeppelin was the newer and heavier thing. But after that, at the time, they were seen as an aging band, although in retrospect they weren't. And Zeppelin became more grandiose and progressive, which was the trend at the time, so probably in the mid-70s they were considered cooler.

Edited by Blackstar

2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Make-up was cool in the 70s in Europe, the whole glam thing, Bowie, T-Rex etc., but not in America (unless it was Alice Cooper or Kiss kind of make-up) except for underground circles.

Regardless, I think that until Exile On Main St., or maybe until Goats Head Soup, the Stones were still seen as cooler, although Zeppelin was the newer and heavier thing. But after that, at the time, they were seen as aging band, although in retrospect they weren't. And Zeppelin became more grandiose and progressive, which was the trend at the time, so probably in the mid-70s they were considered cooler.

That's what I thought, they were very cool in the 60s, but in the 70s they turned a bit theatrical, which wasn't considered cool by everyone, while Zeppelin was the new raw band and what you see is what you get. I'm sure still cool, but I don't know if they were cooler than Zeppelin. But again, I wasn't there, so maybe Len is right... he is after all, wise beyond his years.

6 minutes ago, EvanG said:

That's what I thought, they were very cool in the 60s, but in the 70s they turned a bit theatrical, which wasn't considered cool by everyone, while Zeppelin was the new raw band and what you see is what you get. I'm sure still cool, but I don't know if they were cooler than Zeppelin. But again, I wasn't there, so maybe Len is right... he is after all, wise beyond his years.

I wasn't there either (not old enough to be). It's secondhand "knowledge" for most of us.

But even if you were there, it depends on a lot of things: where you lived, how old you were, etc. For example, for a 13 year old kid in the early 70s Zeppelin were probably cooler (and probably Sabbath even more) but for an older person it was the other way around.

• Like 2

Stones were actually at their absolute peak in the earlier years of that decade, the ''Mick Taylor era''; two of their greatest albums were released, Sticky Fingers (1971) and Exile on Main St. (1972), and as a live band they were truly magnificent as demonstrated on 1970's Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!.

The Stones reached heights on those tours (1969-1973) few bands have done, and certainly no band since. 

57 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Regardless, I think that until Exile On Main St., or maybe until Goats Head Soup, the Stones were still seen as cooler, although Zeppelin was the newer and heavier thing. But after that, at the time, they were seen as an aging band, although in retrospect they weren't. And Zeppelin became more grandiose and progressive, which was the trend at the time, so probably in the mid-70s they were considered cooler.

While I am more of a Stones fan, it is true that Led Zeppelin's 1972 American tour outsold the Stones' 72 tour. Zeppelin was the band of high schoolers and young adults in the 70s whereas the Stones were more your big brother's band.  The Stones' arguable peaks of popularity here in the States were 65-66 (Satisfaction was #1 for almost a whole month) and 78-81 (Some Girls is their highest selling Anerican release)

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Stones were actually at their absolute peak in the earlier years of that decade, the ''Mick Taylor era''; two of their greatest albums were released, Sticky Fingers (1971) and Exile on Main St. (1972), and as a live band they were truly magnificent as demonstrated on 1970's Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!.

The Stones reached heights on those tours (1969-1973) few bands have done, and certainly no band since. 

Theres no doubt about this. I was born in '76,but didnt Zep hit their commercial peak at the same time between Zep 4-Physical Graffiti? 

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Evan would love the scene when he is in Paris on the Great Rn'r Swindle, wouldn't he? It truly shows the impeccable sophistication of the Englishman abroad. 

Come to think of it, I've never had a good experience with an English person abroad. While traveling through England I found them quite pleasant, but abroad they are nothing but trouble.

I know that Rolling Stone Magazine panned Zeppelin on almost every review. And I know that Jan and Jagger had a bad relationship. But I cant recall how RSM reviewed the Stones?

Im saying that at the time whatever magazine one subscribed to no doubt influenced which band they preferred.

Hipgnosis album designers and other high art figures mocked Zeppelin as well - even as they designed their album covers. Whereas its my impression that The Stones were kinda given entry into the high culture world?

13 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Come to think of it, I've never had a good experience with an English person abroad. While traveling through England I found them quite pleasant, but abroad they are nothing but trouble.

Yes but you do not like all such good things in life such as sunshine, birds and little children playing.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fashionista said:

While I am more of a Stones fan, it is true that Led Zeppelin's 1972 American tour outsold the Stones' 72 tour. Zeppelin was the band of high schoolers and young adults in the 70s whereas the Stones were more your big brother's band.  The Stones' arguable peaks of popularity here in the States were 65-66 (Satisfaction was #1 for almost a whole month) and 78-81 (Some Girls is their highest selling Anerican release)

They were playing places like Madison Square Gardens, Winterland Ballroom and The Forum during the Mick Taylor era and also had US #1s with Honky Tonk Woman, Brown Sugar and Angie.

1 hour ago, soon said:

I know that Rolling Stone Magazine panned Zeppelin on almost every review. And I know that Jan and Jagger had a bad relationship. But I cant recall how RSM reviewed the Stones?

Im saying that at the time whatever magazine one subscribed to no doubt influenced which band they preferred.

Hipgnosis album designers and other high art figures mocked Zeppelin as well - even as they designed their album covers. Whereas its my impression that The Stones were kinda given entry into the high culture world?

With help from wikipedia:

The Stones were generally given positive reviews by RS magazine (the funny thing is that Exile had gotten a lukewarm one). In other outlets the reviews for the albums post Exile were mixed.

RS had given positive reviews to Led Zeppelin IV (it had generally very positive reviews) and Physical Graffiti, and mixed/poor reviews to their other albums until then.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, EvanG said:

so maybe Len is right... he is after all, wise beyond his years.

Leonard does sound wise and knowledgable a great deal of the time. But eventually he slips up by mentioning the Sex Pistols as a great band. And they're absolutely shite. 

Edited by username
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Yes but you do not like all such good things in life such as sunshine, birds and little children playing.

Not in summertime, you've got that right!

Nevertheless, English people abroad are a mess.

37 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Isn't he like 35 years old?

I used to think he was in his 50's though...

I thought he was a teen because of the slang. Or is that how most English people speak?