Foo Fighters

Trin9498

only ever listened to the first album.  Which was a cracker btw.  Never really got too into the rest but they got some alright singles, Times Like These, Learn to Fly, All My Life.  Dave Grohl was part of a triumvirate that I grew up idolising so he was always goin' to have some mileage for me.  And then Pat Smear, shit, those who know will know what I mean.

I saw the Foo tour come through Australia earlier this year, and to me this is the Foos equivalent of GN’R’s UYI tour. They had backing singers, solo spots, cover songs (Queen, Alice Cooper) and it was all very over the top and grandiose rock n roll. I loved it. 

I agree that their music isn’t for everyone, but as far as putting on a big stadium rock show? They absolutely nailed it. 

Oh, and Taylor Hawkins is an absolute beast on that drum kit. He didn’t let up all night.

I cant be havin' three hour shows.  Of anybody.  Even 2 and a half is too much.  40 mins to an hour, that'll do me.  Starts to fuckin' drag on a bit for me.  Its kinda not as impactful too.  Thats why I love the punk dynamic, if nothing else they make a fuckin' impression.  Of rock n roll shows anyway.  Certain types of music lend themselves better to that kinda shit, like Jazz or what have you.  Jimi Hendrix, I could handle 3 hours of him.  The Beatles maybe, in a non stadiumey setting anyway.  I think the smaller the venue the longer I could hack off of certain performers.  I think stadiums tend to be longer because, in a weird way the performer is kinda more detached from the audience so you're more comfortable.  A lot of performers say that, that intimate gigs are more nerve-wracking than the big stadiums cuz on the big stage you're kind in your own world almost. 

On 21/07/2018 at 8:22 PM, EvanG said:

I think they're awesome live. Good musicians. The only thing I don't like is Grohl screaming 'HERE WE GO', 'OOOOOHHHH YYYEEEEAAHHHH', 'LET'S GO', 'OH SHIT', 'WHOOOOOOOHOOOOOO' in every song. I'm not kidding.

He does that?  Thats very un-Dave Grohl of him.  Then again I'm vision of him is probably hugely out of date.

3 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

He does that?  Thats very un-Dave Grohl of him.  Then again I'm vision of him is probably hugely out of date.

Probably... during the first years of the Foo Fighters he wasn't comfortable with being a frontman yet and he wasn't very vocal or whatever, but since the 2000s he changed in that aspect. 

It's not a big deal, but personally I don't care for singers that scream stuff like ''ALRIGHT, HERE WE GO'' before every chorus in almost every song.

14 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Probably... during the first years of the Foo Fighters he wasn't comfortable with being a frontman yet and he wasn't very vocal or whatever, but since the 2000s he changed in that aspect. 

It's not a big deal, but personally I don't care for singers that scream stuff like ''ALRIGHT, HERE WE GO'' before every chorus in almost every song.

Agreed 100%

But imo James Hetfleid can get away with his version of it. Like in For Whom The Bell Tolls. Instead of singing the title line himself he yells "What is it man?!?!" The audience chants "For whom the bell tolls" and James responds "Abso-fucking-loot-lay" 

Its funny but it works for me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, soon said:

Agreed 100%

But imo James Hetfleid can get away with his version of it. Like in For Whom The Bell Tolls. Instead of singing the title line himself he yells "What is it man?!?!" The audience chants "For whom the bell tolls" and James responds "Abso-fucking-loot-lay" 

Its funny but it works for me.

I agree, it's fine when a singer gets the crowd going by saying or screaming something like that every now and then in the songs, like for example Axl in 'Knockin' On Heaven's Door' because he wants the crowd to sing along. But you can check any Foo Fighters concert on youtube and you will hear Grohl screaming shit like that between the verses and the choruses in most songs, and that's a bit too much.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I agree, it's fine when a singer gets the crowd going by saying or screaming something like that every now and then in the songs, like for example Axl in 'Knockin' On Heaven's Door' because he wants the crowd to sing along. But you can check any Foo Fighters concert on youtube and you will hear Grohl screaming shit like that between the verses and the choruses in most songs, and that's a bit too much.

Yeah, I agree about Grohl and that whole thing. And Axl's definitely good at it :headbang:

• Like 1

I really like their first couple of albums. After that they got a bit too by the numbers or something. I'll always be a Grohl fan though.

My Hero and Monkey Wrench are a couple of personal favs, especially these acoustic versions...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...