No Holds Barred Thread - Post Anything That Is On Your Mind, Even the Politically Incorrect!

Ace Nova

3 hours ago, soon said:

If you agree with a technocracy and then give other policy suggestions, I guess that means that you believe you would be "one of the best among us?" Or else, one would think, you'd only state your support for a technocracy?

I'd settle for simply removing voting privileges from anybody who voted for Brexit at this point.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I didn't vote Brexit because I am so cynical (and lazy) I'm rather post-political (i.e., I believe we are stuffed either way) but wish I had voted Brexit just because the people who are pro-EU get on my tits.

I wouldn't say I'm pro EU. I'm just anti bollocksing up the country for no other reason than a distaste for darkies. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I'd settle for simply removing voting privileges from anybody who voted for Brexit at this point.

I really dont think that voters would act in such a negative way if people like you and I did a better job making small, personal examples of an alternative view.  And if we both made more contributions to educating the people it couldn't hurt either. Many trade agreements have amounted to attacks on workers and the poor. Anger is a natural product of that betrayal. To be sure theres lots of hatred and bigotry being voiced in leu of an informed assessment of the situation, too. I think we need to aim to collectively move beyond the current conversation and work as a unified body to find solutions to the actual issues. While also working to put to rest the imagined and harmful issues.

1 hour ago, Oldest Goat said:

@SoulMonster

Personally I'm 'pro-choice' but I also feel like it would be wrong if it ever ends up like "lololol gonna go get my 20th abortion #yolo". You know? It shouldn't become a trivial thing. 

I am not worried that abortion is going to be a trivial thing. I have never heard of anyone who likes the procedure or who doesn't find the choice difficult and filled with some amount of dread. 

But on the other hand, if someone had no problems with the physical and mental invasiveness of abortions, then I would have no reason to object to their decision to go through dozens of them.

2 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

@SoulMonster 

Also, eugenics is bad. 

Eugenics in the form of a state-sponsored effort to create a master race where people are subjected to forced sterilisations, is of course very bad. 

But eugenics in a broader sense where it is meant simply as the human race evolving in some way because abortion on medical grounds have been allowed, and where parents have the option and the government stays far away from it, isn't necessarily bad. Let's just consider the possibility of prenatal screening for Huntington's disease resulting in its heritability dropping to zero (an eradication of this syndrome), I can't really find any problems with that at all. 

But it must be would-be parents who make that choice based on an individual assessment, not a state out of some idea of what humans as a species should be like. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

@SoulMonster explain your technocracy idea, don't be such a pussy. :lol: 

I don't know what else I have to say besides what I already wrote. 

The point wasn't so much to elevate technocracy to be the ideal form of government, but to point out that democracy is vastly trumped up. People seem to think democracy is flawless. Mostly moronic Americans, though. But democracy is simply just the best out of many bad alternatives that we have. And yes, it is the best so I don't want any alternative. 

So what is bad with democracy? Well, if everybody gets to have a say in a desicion-making process, the entire population, warts and all, then the outcome will tend to be mediocre. The votes of the informed will be negated by the votes of the uninformed. The stupid will cancel out the smart. And the outcome will never rise beyond mediocrity, above the average. We counter for this in various ways, mostly by educating people, by having a press that originally was meant to inform us and help us make good desicions, by granting freedom of speech to stimulate discourse, by having representative democracies so the popular vote isn't used too frequently, etc, which will all help to make democracies rise above this curse of the average, this mediocrity. 

But then we have forces pulling in the other direction, like when morons manage to get in office by exploiting flaws in the system and general voters' malaise. When cynical politicians directly exploit populist issues to get elected. 

So it is not perfect.

But the good outweigh the bad. And the primary good thing with democracies is that it makes people happy because everybody gets to have their say, their vote, and there is one vote per man regardless of who you are. It's egalitarian. It stabilises populations. So it prevents conflicts and in worse case civil wars. When properly set up, it works really well and is remarkably stable. And history has shown that. But the desicions made in democracies are rarely brilliant, and that is the flipside to it. 

So we got to have democracies because humans are what humans are. But we shouldn't fool ourselves into thinking it is perfect. 

But if we consider a hypothetical scenario where people would be okay with outsourcing desicions to experts on the matters, where people would realize that by giving up their freedom to vote they would get better desicions in return, so there would be no conflicts as a result, then that society would outperform any democratic society in having increased growth, securing happiness for all, reacting in more efficient ways to threats like global warming, etc. Again, this is purely hypothetical, it wouldn't work because people would never be okay with it. 

So again, my point wasn't to argue that we should switch government to technocracies, but to throw some cold water on all those morons who considers democracies to be flawless. 

Isn't the fact that crickets still enjoy some popularity just a manifestation of the inherent insecurity and self-loathing you find in people who self-identify as "working class" yet dream they were something else so they adopt the curios pasttimes and habits of the upper classes to escape the dread of their lives even going so far as to mimic more posh vernicular and behavior? They prancy about on the fields in some colonial ritual, enjoy high tea, and talk silly, only to return back home to the depressing monotony of their council houses and welfare checks? 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Isn't the fact that crickets still enjoy some popularity just a manifestation of the inherent insecurity and self-loathing you find in people who self-identify as "working class" yet dream they were something else so they adopt the curios pasttimes and habits of the upper classes to escape the dread of their lives even going so far as to mimic more posh vernicular and behavior? They prancy about on the fields in some colonial ritual, enjoy high tea, and talk silly, only to return back home to the depressing monotony of their council houses and welfare checks? 

Cricket began as a peasants' sport actually. 

6 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Eugenics in the form of a state-sponsored effort to create a master race where people are subjected to forced sterilisations, is of course very bad. 

But eugenics in a broader sense where it is meant simply as the human race evolving in some way because abortion on medical grounds have been allowed, and where parents have the option and the government stays far away from it, isn't necessarily bad. Let's just consider the possibility of prenatal screening for Huntington's disease resulting in its heritability dropping to zero (an eradication of this syndrome), I can't really find any problems with that at all. 

But it must be would-be parents who make that choice based on an individual assessment, not a state out of some idea of what humans as a species should be like. 

This statement falls flat to me because it makes no mention of the actual built in power broker. In omitting reference to the Medical Industrial Complex your post just reads as utopian and overly simplistic.

The MdIC has systemic issues related to race, class, gender, sexuality, colonization, disability and more. Individual Drs can, and likely do, carry beliefs that perpetuate and/or allow for some of these ills as well.

And then theres the gendered aspect of medicine, with men still being over represented as Drs and in positions of power in the medical hierarchy. In todays gender norms a middle class, minimally educated man might be easily dictated to by a male Dr. The potential Dad might well get hard from the notion that he is on cordial terms with the Dr, gunning in vain for an invite to the Christmas party. And both men might really fancy viewing themselves as the heroes who will rid the world of disease. So then the potential mother has the entire MdIC and her partner barring down on her. And every micro-agreesion from the techs taking blood who heard she's a breeder and is gonna "selfishly" bring to term a viable child that she wants and is ready to care for to what ever extent its health requires.

In your outline the unavoidable interventions of the MdIC simply don't exist.

11 minutes ago, soon said:

This statement falls flat to me because it makes no mention of the actual built in power broker. In omitting reference to the Medical Industrial Complex your post just reads as utopian and overly simplistic.

The MdIC has systemic issues related to race, class, gender, sexuality, colonization, disability and more. Individual Drs can, and likely do, carry beliefs that perpetuate and/or allow for some of these ills as well.

And then theres the gendered aspect of medicine, with men still being over represented as Drs and in positions of power in the medical hierarchy. In todays gender norms a middle class, minimally educated man might be easily dictated to by a male Dr. The potential Dad might well get hard from the notion that he is on cordial terms with the Dr, gunning in vain for an invite to the Christmas party. And both men might really fancy viewing themselves as the heroes who will rid the world of disease. So then the potential mother has the entire MdIC and her partner barring down on her. And every micro-agreesion from the techs taking blood who heard she's a breeder and is gonna "selfishly" bring to term a viable child that she wants and is ready to care for to what ever extent its health requires.

In your outline the unavoidable interventions of the MdIC simply don't exist.

Because it is better to have the option to terminate a pregnancy when the fetus suffers from some severe condition, even if it means the parents might find themselves in a horrible dilemma with outside people attempting to influence that desicion, than to not have the option and instead just have to do what the politicians say. 

And don't tell me you were sober when you wrote that. 

Edited by SoulMonster

3 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Because it is better to have the option to terminate a pregnancy when the fetus suffers from some severe condition, even if it means the parents might find themselves in a horrible dilemma with outside people attempting to influence that desicion, than to not have the option and instead just have to do what the politicians say. 

Why are you so terse? Its 8 am here. I am very sober. Whats the connection between being sober and pointing out your glaring omission? :lol:

Also, I didnt speak to abortion being available. I only spoke to the simplistic and utopian vision for how it comes about that you put forward.

23 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Thats it Soulie, put the mongos down, we can't be spending all that money on padded rooms, bibs and shitbags :lol:

1 minute ago, Oldest Goat said:

The concept of "micro-aggressions" is beyond stupid and so is the idea that every profession must hire an equal number of genders or races or whatever. Some roles hire more men, some hire more women etc, as long as there's no one actually standing in their way IF they want to buck the trend; there's no issue.

And you're a 911 Truther so we all know to take you very seriously.