No Holds Barred Thread - Post Anything That Is On Your Mind, Even the Politically Incorrect!

Ace Nova

14 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

That is truly politically incorrect. I tend to be PC on the matter: the US got the best craft beer in the world. 

I hate PC culture! lol. Have you tried much of our craft beer? It's incredible. The US has the second best no doubt, but what they would bottle as their permanent flag ship brew is what a local brewer here would do one batch of before moving on to the next incredible brew. This is a rivalry that runs deep, going all the way back to when Canadian Cream Ale knocked off US Cream Ales market share following the end of Prohibition. US brewers, where Cream Ale was invented, reluctantly took on our recipe :headbang:

20 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

What the hell is a poutine?

Craft ales are for studenty hipster hippies with bumfluff 

Poutine is french fries and cheese curds smothered in Chicken gravy. Curds dont melt but get nice and soft. Its from French Canada, the Quebecois iirc.

One day hipsters and hippies will peacefully co-exist... but not today. 

Here, craft beer is the only type of beer at our local Baseball Diamonds concessions. Baseball being very much supported by working class boomers. They make a craft take on a Coors to appease them, lol. 

1 hour ago, soon said:

I hate PC culture! lol. Have you tried much of our craft beer? It's incredible. 

Only been to Canada once, so unfortunately no. But US beer craft is widely considered the best in the world according to ratings at untapd, beer advocate etc. And the best breweries from regions like North California, Portland, Colorado. Then again, you will usually find really good craft beers all over, and many breweries have some really brilliant brews. Personally, I am not a huge fan of IPAs and prefer Belgian triple and quadruple, Trappist, and sour varieties. 

Craft beer does have its appeal to hipsters, true, but if you just like variety of beer the whole beer renaissance had been wonderful. Here in Norway we only had lagers, now, because of craft breweries and micro brews, we have all kinds of beer types available, and the larger breweries have been forced to follow suit and releasing their own specialty brews. Increased awareness of beer has also led to a revival of old and almost forgotten varieties and styles, further adding to the selection we can choose from. Lastly, the openness and friendliness of craft brewers is just amazing. Visiting breweries and tap rooms to talk and taste is just a very unpretentious experience with people who love their craft, and love good food and drinks. 

7 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

You are quite possibly correct.

PS

Never underestimate Britain's ability to create truly naff and revolting food,

cheesy-chips-pizza-1.jpg?w=960

I cant even... that is just wrong 

Cheesy fries with cheese the melts is more of an american thing, but also tasty. I was somewhat alright with this monstrosity, even as my mind calculated the Glycemic Index in horror, until I read the Sweet Chilli Sauce, that just does not belong!

2 minutes ago, soon said:

I cant even... that is just wrong 

Cheesy fries with cheese the melts is more of an american thing, but also tasty. I was somewhat alright with this monstrosity, even as my mind calculated the Glycemic Index in horror, until I read the Sweet Chilli Sauce, that just does not belong!

There are three amalgamated things drastically wrong with that foodstuff, firstly that there are chips on a pizza, secondly that the chips are cheesy chips, and thirdly, that the entire concoction is frozen. It is a mistake compounded with a mistake compounded with a mistake. 

39 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Only been to Canada once, so unfortunately no. But US beer craft is widely considered the best in the world according to ratings at untapd, beer advocate etc. And the best breweries from regions like North California, Portland, Colorado. Then again, you will usually find really good craft beers all over, and many breweries have some really brilliant brews. Personally, I am not a huge fan of IPAs and prefer Belgian triple and quadruple, Trappist, and sour varieties. 

Im fairly familiar with Portland and Colorado beers, and they are fantastic. And San Fransisco is kinda where it all began so Ive had some of the more popular stuff which is sold here. Meh, lots of IPAs. Im with you in not being too keen on IPAs. I had that phase but the bitterness wars got out of control, imo. We really do have some incredible brewers here though, hope you get to enjoy them some time.  I like all your Triples and Trappists too. Now that its autumn its time for Kellerbier or Scottish Wee Heavies!

Nice to come across a fellow sour drinker! I love sours. We are getting decent at them here, but Europe still has the best. They can be incredibly pricey and hard to come by though. Any suggestions for a sour?

Edited by soon

4 minutes ago, Whiskey Rose said:

Not even a nice ciabatta? Put some blue cheese from France on that, and it would prob be perfect :lol:

Hm, yeah, true. Ciabatta is nice. But overall, I prefer French bread. Rather have goats cheese than blue cheese though. To each their own :)

34 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

There are three amalgamated things drastically wrong with that foodstuff, firstly that there are chips on a pizza, secondly that the chips are cheesy chips, and thirdly, that the entire concoction is frozen. It is a mistake compounded with a mistake compounded with a mistake. 

Youre right, I take back any positive comments. It would be right at home at a middle american dinner, but something about it being sold as frozen meal is truly off putting.

37 minutes ago, Lio said:

I'm Belgian. So your beer doesn't impress me either.

Our macro brew exports wouldn't be good, no. Have you had the pleasure of our craft beers though?

Belgian beer is top shelf and deserves its fame. One thing is that many popular Belgian brews get their most distinct qualities from the heritage yeasts and the aging barrels. Whereas beer here is more interested in exploring other elements that contribute to flavours like hops, malts, grains and adjuncts. These can be done on the fly, with out heritage yeast and aged barrels building flavour over decades. I embrace both tradition and experimentation!

Of course not all your beers are centred on the yeast. Rodenbach Grand Cru is one of the most delicious beers Ive ever had and it certainly has many factors, including the wine barrels, contributing to the final product. That beer is magical. I wouldn't put one of our sours against it, but Id put other beers up for a challenge.

46 minutes ago, soon said:

Im fairly familiar with Portland and Colorado beers, and they are fantastic. And San Fransisco is kinda where it all began so Ive had some of the more popular stuff which is sold here. Meh, lots of IPAs. Im with you in not being too keen on IPAs. I had that phase but the bitterness wars got out of control, imo. We really do have some incredible brewers here though, hope you get to enjoy them some time.  I like all your Triples and Trappists too. Now that its autumn its time for Kellerbier or Scottish Wee Heavies!

Nice to come across a fellow sour drinker! I love sours. We are getting decent at them here, but Europe still has the best. They can be incredibly pricey and hard to come by though. Any suggestions for a sour?

I really like the English brewery Wild Beer. They do a lot of spontaneous fermentation and Brettanomyces. And Cascade from somewhere in USA. And Cantillion from Belgium. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Oh yes, big thing around here. But you know me? I like woofter food like sushi, so there isn't much chance of me having tried it.

That's why they've called it Poutine instead of cheesy chips cuz it sounds fancier. For the poofter pound innit? ;):lol: 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dazey said:

That's why they've called it Poutine instead of cheesy chips cuz it sounds fancier. For the poofter pound innit? ;):lol: 

I ate a poofter dish today: Feta Salad (tomatoes, lettuce, spinach, red onion dressed in roasted seeds and olive oil, topped with two slices of feta). My own concoction - a spin on a Greek salad I suppose. 

43 minutes ago, soon said:

Our macro brew exports wouldn't be good, no. Have you had the pleasure of our craft beers though?

Belgian beer is top shelf and deserves its fame. One thing is that many popular Belgian brews get their most distinct qualities from the heritage yeasts and the aging barrels. Whereas beer here is more interested in exploring other elements that contribute to flavours like hops, malts, grains and adjuncts. These can be done on the fly, with out heritage yeast and aged barrels building flavour over decades. I embrace both tradition and experimentation!

Of course not all your beers are centred on the yeast. Rodenbach Grand Cru is one of the most delicious beers Ive ever had and it certainly has many factors, including the wine barrels, contributing to the final product. That beer is magical. I wouldn't put one of our sours against it, but Id put other beers up for a challenge.

No, haven't tasted any Canadian beers. I'm not really a beer connoisseur though, and I'm sure you have great beers, I was just being annoying :P

• Haha 1