No Holds Barred Thread - Post Anything That Is On Your Mind, Even the Politically Incorrect!

Ace Nova

"The traditional story is that poutine originated in the 1950s in Warwick, Quebec, at a restaurant called Le Lutin qui rit. Upon being asked to add cheese curds to a customer's fries, owner Fernand Lachance responded, “Ça va faire une maudite poutine,” or, “That's going to make a dreadful mess.

Poutine wasn’t always called poutine. At first, poutine was simple a 50-50 mixture of cheese curds and fries. When gravy got added somewhere along the way, it was called “mixte.” “Poutine” was adopted when large chains started selling the concoction—cheese, gravy, and all."

The Poutine I had today:

aZcbgONh.jpg

4 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

It has a Japanese style presentation (scallions of course) but with chips! And cheese I suppose but the Cheese reminds me of Tofu.

I've got to say.  I've tried it once and it's pretty damn good. 

4 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

Cheese with gravy?? That ain't right!!

I'm surprised you didn't say ''chips and gravy'', instantly rekindling the North-South debate?

(I heard it once said that the North begins, not at the Watford Gap, but where there are people who believe it is alright to put gravy on chips, and vice versa). 

9 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I'm surprised you didn't say ''chips and gravy'', instantly rekindling the North-South debate?

(I heard it once said that the North begins, not at the Watford Gap, but where there are people who believe it is alright to put gravy on chips, and vice versa). 

I don't do chips n gravy, it's Heinz ketchup or salad cream on chips :P

My son in law is from up north and when he moved down here he was so gutted when he went to the chippy and they didn't have gravy :lol:

1 hour ago, janrichmond said:

I don't do chips n gravy, it's Heinz ketchup or salad cream on chips :P

My son in law is from up north and when he moved down here he was so gutted when he went to the chippy and they didn't have gravy :lol:

I'm a salt and vinegar ''fish and chip purist'' myself, but yes gravy is a prevalent condiment here. The chap who does the BBC commentary for Durham CCC puts gravy on fish and chips!! 

23 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

There are three amalgamated things drastically wrong with that foodstuff, firstly that there are chips on a pizza, secondly that the chips are cheesy chips, and thirdly, that the entire concoction is frozen. It is a mistake compounded with a mistake compounded with a mistake. 

Asda has a donner kebab pizza in the same range. Whether they should be prosecuted for selling it is an argument for another day but you can't argue that it's very much a British "dish" (😂) the Turkish and Italian shouldn't feel in any way responsible.

Here's the link if anyone wants to buy one

https://groceries.asda.com/product/boxed-pizza/asda-take-away-beef-kebab-mega-pizza/1000003093569

25 minutes ago, spunko12345 said:

Asda has a donner kebab pizza in the same range. Whether they should be prosecuted for selling it is an argument for another day but you can't argue that it's very much a British "dish" (😂) the Turkish and Italian shouldn't feel in any way responsible.

https://groceries.asda.com/product/boxed-pizza/asda-take-away-beef-kebab-mega-pizza/1000003093569

Doner Kebab pizzas are fuckin' bangin' though.  Never had one out of an ASDA but I mean one from your local kebab shop/pizza place.  Fair dues though I've only had one once and I was high as a cunt at the time but I remember it being the fuckin' bollocks.  

1 hour ago, spunko12345 said:

The British however seem to have an extra propensity to create frozen supermarket variants of foodstuffs, although I appreciate this is a global phenomenon - N.b., the height of culinary laziness,

IDShot_540x540.jpg

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

The north begins at Leeds as far as I'm concerned. 

Just now, Len Cnut said:

There's more than a few northerly candences to Dickens work too.

It surely would be intentional though - Hard Times in particular, his ''Northern novel''? Dickens was from Portsmouth.

With Shakespeare it is more a sense of his Warwickshire country bumpkin roots lingering. Understand also that English was more changeable in Shakespeare's day than during the 19th century. 

5 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Try saying,

"Neither a borrower nor a lender be,
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry."

With the up-and-down rhythm of a Birmingham accent.

It is a theory.

i can't imagine Barry from Auf Wiedersehen Pet saying that, that's who i base my attempts at Brummie on.

On a side note, do you notice how many people can't spell rhythm?  I'm far from perfect at spelling but its that word that always sticks out to me....or is it just me?