Street Performers in Covent Garden

spunko12345

In the 'Spoons I go to, it looks like it takes ages for the pint to arrive anyhow using the whole lazy buggers app experience. Easier to just go to the bar.

To digress, I prefer the Czech system of pub etiquette: sit down; put beer mat out in front of you; fella or barmaid comes up to you and says ''pivo''; reply ''prosim''; a glass of nectar arrives, which is replenished whenever you run dry with the merest ''prosim''. You then pay £4 or something absurdly cheap at the end. The hardest thing about drinking in the Czech Republic is knowing when to stop! 

49 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

In the 'Spoons I go to, it looks like it takes ages for the pint to arrive anyhow using the whole lazy buggers app experience. Easier to just go to the bar.

To digress, I prefer the Czech system of pub etiquette: sit down; put beer mat out in front of you; fella or barmaid comes up to you and says ''pivo''; reply ''prosim''; a glass of nectar arrives, which is replenished whenever you run dry with the merest ''prosim''. You then pay £4 or something absurdly cheap at the end. The hardest thing about drinking in the Czech Republic is knowing when to stop! 

Its great isn't it. A little slip of paper with a few ticks on it then just settle up. It would be abused here though, the sad truth is we can't be trusted with a system like that.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, spunko12345 said:

Its great isn't it. A little slip of paper with a few ticks on it then just settle up. It would be abused here though, the sad truth is we can't be trusted with a system like that.

Apparently in real traditional places they literally just bring you a beer without asking. Glorious. Because every place has their ale so there is none of this choice. It goes without saying that their establishment's beer is the greatest so why would you need to choose? You of course just sit down, in eateries also. The dopey ones standing at the door for a waitresses are the tourists. 

In this cellar place I was in, these two ruddy faced guys came in and started playing traditional Bohemian songs - they didn't want money or anything? Just a brilliant place. 

Edited by DieselDaisy

3 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Pagan Queen. Don't like Ruddles, for although it is about £1.70.

I never cared about being fashionable or trendy when I was in my teens/early twenties, so I don't suppose I will start caring now. I like history and country cricket for crying out loud.

It is not really about being fashionable or trendy, either, I don't give two fucks about that either. It is about choosing convenience. What you might get away with as cute idiosyncrasies today can quickly evolve to village moron proportions as the world moves forward and the gulf between you and modern world because uncrossable. My grandmother had the same problem, being left out, out of touch, confused, but she was in her 90s. 

15 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

It is not really about being fashionable or trendy, either, I don't give two fucks about that either. It is about choosing convenience. What you might get away with as cute idiosyncrasies today can quickly evolve to village moron proportions as the world moves forward and the gulf between you and modern world because uncrossable. My grandmother had the same problem, being left out, out of touch, confused, but she was in her 90s. 

I am not inconvenienced in the slightest by using cash though. It is Len who seems to have some sort of mental breakdown whenever he has a bit of loose change in his pocket. And even in London I didn't stumble upon one of these infamous pubs which only uses cards, and in the north east where I live, cash is a far more prevalent form of currency. Cash is still the prevalent currency for over the counter purchases in the United Kingdom - NB., contactless behind cash,

cash-Vs-contactless-payments-2-600x548.j

And as has been pointed out, it is the preferred form of currency throughout much of the world. You are rather left with your dick in your hand without it in some countries. 

The card vs cash debate, If you work in retail you will find that card payments are used much more in the first 2/3 weeks of the month, then the last 10 days or so it will be more cash payments. I pay for around 90% of the time using my card but i always have at least a tenner in cash for emergencies, like getting a cab or putting money in a donation box etc.

I don't like uber, i prefer taxi's.

On topic, I like street performers except for those mime artists, they're shit.

6 hours ago, spunko12345 said:

Oh your not one of them idle cunts in Spoons who order a pint and get it taken to you are you, like a pampered prince 😂 Get off your fat arse and get to the bar you lazy bastard.

Why would I do that when I can simply press a button and have it brought to my table? :lol: 

6 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Or you could simply order when you have about five minutes of pint left and the whole thing works seamlessly. ;) 

7 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I am not inconvenienced in the slightest by using cash though. It is Len who seems to have some sort of mental breakdown whenever he has a bit of loose change in his pocket. And even in London I didn't stumble upon one of these infamous pubs which only uses cards, and in the north east where I live, cash is a far more prevalent form of currency. Cash is still the prevalent currency for over the counter purchases in the United Kingdom - NB., contactless behind cash,

And as has been pointed out, it is the preferred form of currency throughout much of the world. You are rather left with your dick in your hand without it in some countries. 

I believe that graph shows that card is used more than cash in the UK ;) Do you know what contactless payment with card is? You just tap the card and the transaction is done. Quite fantastic.

But really, frequency of forms of payment is entirely irrelevant for the argument that it is cumbersome to pay with cash, just as it is entirely irrelevant what people do in other countries. That the infrastructure for payment with card is not fully developed across the world does not mean using cards in the UK isn't the most convenient form of payment.

Regardless, I think it is somewhat charming that people stick to what they are used to. It will change, though, and sooner or later card will have replaced cash entirely. 

10 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Cash is still the prevalent currency for over the counter purchases in the United Kingdom

Err, that graph doesn’t say that. In fact it shows that card payments (28) are nearly double that of cash payments (17).

_107291124_spending-nc.png

Edited by Dazey

4 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

''Card payments'' also include online transactions. The dark blue is contactless. 

But contactless accounts for a minority of all card transactions in stores. Most people still jam their cards into the slot and don't tap. "Contactless" doesn't mean you use it online ;)

Edited by SoulMonster

5 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

But contactless accounts for a minority of all card transactions in stores. Most people still jam their cards into the slot and don't tap. "Contactless" doesn't mean you use it online ;)

Well then that graph includes online transactions so I suppose it is useless pertinent to the conversation.

You will all be happy to know I use online debit card transactions! 

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

Well then that graph includes online transactions so I suppose it is useless pertinent to the conversation.

Maybe, maybe not. But considering that contactless account for at least 2/3 as many transactions as cash as per your graph, and knowing that contactless is still used much less than normal sticking-in-the-slot card use, that would imply that cards are far more used in store transactions in the UK.