Eddie Van Halens Son just released his debut album (Mammoth WVH)

StrangerInThisTown

How is there no thread here? This album is #1 on itunes across every genre right now. So good to see junk like Maroon 5 take a backseat to an actual artist.

First impression after one listen: wow! Seriously wow! You can tell this was worked on really hard for a long time and it shows, not one song was what I would call bad in any way, and it's not a short album by any means, it's actually really hard to digest all at once. Hard to pick a favourite, Don't Back Down has a Royal Blood sized riff, there's some acoustic, some psychedelic stuff going on, and Stone is a 6 minute Black Sabbath-y epic that is probably the heaviest thing on the album, what an ending. Who else has songs like that on an album that also has some really pop-y hooks?

No copying of Eddie Van Halen in any way on this album at all. It's funny, I thought this is the type of album Myles would release, his album completely pales in comparison to this, the songs are instrumentally way more interesting. Both had the same producer Michael Baskette (Alter Bridge), but this album has all the fat guitars and diversity that that album was missing. The guitars on the heavy songs sound amazing, and there's no "showing off" with solos, they're just there sometimes and fit the song when they come up.

This is no half baked effort, I heard no clunker (and it's 58 minutes long), I think I liked something about every song on first listen, my favourite right away is probably The Big Picture, I had to relisten to it 3 times before I moved onto the next song. Really heavy with a groove and meaningful lyrics. Gives off AIC vibes.

At parts it reminds me of Soundgarden Superunknown-Badmotorfinger era with the drums and bass, one song gave off a heavy RATM/Audioslave feel. He also rips a couple great solos, one really reminded me of Slash, I think it was Resolve.

I think this is the strongest album by a child of a famous musician I have ever heard. Definitely my top rock album this year by far, this is so incredibly diverse and some really catchy hooks in there. I can't wait to really sink my teeth into this album.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 1

I listened the other day. His voice records so well and the arrangements are really well done. I was super impressed overall.

Some the riffs are really derivative, and most of the lyrics are beyond basic. BUT the same can be said about most "modern hard rock."

I think it's the best hard rock radio album in a long, long, long time. I'm excited to hear where he takes it next.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mr. address said:

I listened the other day. His voice records so well and the arrangements are really well done. I was super impressed overall.

Some the riffs are really derivative, and most of the lyrics are beyond basic. BUT the same can be said about most "modern hard rock."

I think it's the best hard rock radio album in a long, long, long time. I'm excited to hear where he takes it next.

I think at this point, in 2021, and for the rest of time onwards, Rock music really has nowhere "new" to go since Grunge, that was the last "new" style left you could make out of rock. People have been writing guitar riffs for like 70 years at this point and every possible style you could come up with has been made already, so it's bound to be derivative. We will probably never hear another rock album that isn't derivative or sounds like something else, so I can't really knock this album for that. All what's left to do is find the style you identify with most, and write great songs. As soon as you write a heavy riff people are going to put it in a box of "this sounds like..!", there is no escaping it.

I already love it on first spin and think this will grow on me even more as I take the songs in more. I do agree the lyrics could be better maybe, but I like them mostly, and that's just bickering at this point when you realize this is a one man album, Wolf played every single instrument, sang the songs, wrote all the music and all the lyrics by himself, then it seems silly to crticize the lyrics for not being poetic masterpieces.

17 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

How is there no thread here? This album is #1 on itunes across every genre right now. So good to see junk like Maroon 5 take a backseat to an actual artist.

First impression after one listen: wow! Seriously wow! You can tell this was worked on really hard for a long time and it shows, not one song was what I would call bad in any way, and it's not a short album by any means, it's actually really hard to digest all at once. Hard to pick a favourite, Don't Back Down has a Royal Blood sized riff, there's some acoustic, some psychedelic stuff going on, and Stone is a 6 minute Black Sabbath-y epic that is probably the heaviest thing on the album, what an ending. Who else has songs like that on an album that also has some really pop-y hooks?

No copying of Eddie Van Halen in any way on this album at all. It's funny, I thought this is the type of album Myles would release, his album completely pales in comparison to this, the songs are instrumentally way more interesting. Both had the same producer Michael Baskette (Alter Bridge), but this album has all the fat guitars and diversity that that album was missing. The guitars on the heavy songs sound amazing, and there's no "showing off" with solos, they're just there sometimes and fit the song when they come up.

This is no half baked effort, I heard no clunker (and it's 58 minutes long), I think I liked something about every song on first listen, my favourite right away is probably The Big Picture, I had to relisten to it 3 times before I moved onto the next song. Really heavy with a groove and meaningful lyrics. Gives off AIC vibes.

At parts it reminds me of Soundgarden Superunknown-Badmotorfinger era with the drums and bass, one song gave off a heavy RATM/Audioslave feel. He also rips a couple great solos, one really reminded me of Slash, I think it was Resolve.

I think this is the strongest album by a child of a famous musician I have ever heard. Definitely my top rock album this year by far, this is so incredibly diverse and some really catchy hooks in there. I can't wait to really sink my teeth into this album.

LOL. Actual artist? I haven't listened to a Maroon 5 album since the first two but basically every song on them was more inspired and creative then this dimestore Creed album.

1 hour ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

LOL. Actual artist? I haven't listened to a Maroon 5 album since the first two but basically every song on them was more inspired and creative then this dimestore Creed album.

You go listen to your Maroon 5 albums then bro, I won't disturb your sessions of listening to She Will Be Loved under candlelight in a bubblebath.

• Haha 1

I'm also surprised there wasn't a thread on Mammoth WVH before this one, especially considering this is GNR's opening act for the summer. 

After a first listen I really dig the album, very impressive debut from a one-man band. Some of my favorites are the opener "Mr. Ed", "Mammoth," "Don't Back Down" and "You're to Blame." 

I think Wolf is a much-needed shot in the arm for the rock industry. He'll be winning over lots of new fans on tour with GNR. Especially because he is writing, recording and releasing new music, an unfamiliar concept to Guns fans. He said he's already working on songs for the follow-up. 

22 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Rock music really has nowhere "new" to go since Grunge, that was the last "new" style left you could make out of rock. 

''Grunge'' isn't a music genre. It's a term made up by a journalist, but all those so-called ''grunge'' bands sounded rather different, except for the obvious similarities. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I don't really get the hype, I've heard a few songs and they weren't really anything special, none of them made me want to listen to the full album...

To me it's kinda similar with what Word on Fire is, it's not special by any means, but it's a consistently good album, the type that don't come around often. I think you should definitely check it out in full, I don't know what you listen to, but it's a pretty safe bet you'll like atleast a few songs if you're a rock fan. It's not like WOF in that way, where you can hear one song and immediately know what the rest of the album sounds like, each song is pretty different on here, and of course he's not gonna pick a song like "Stone" as a single for people to hear, I don't trust singles these days anymore anyway, bands just put out what has the best chance of getting played on radio, not the best songs.

12 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I don't really get the hype, I've heard a few songs and they weren't really anything special, none of them made me want to listen to the full album...

I was sold when I first heard "Distance" late last year. I didn't listen to any of the other singles that were released between that and when the album came out last week. After hearing Distance, I wanted to just wait to hear the whole album front to back. 

I listened to it twice in its entirety between Friday and Saturday. It's what I expected and wanted: it's a solid rock album. 

Yes, it's impressive that he wrote everything and played every instrument, but that doesn't make it the second coming of rock that many are making it out to be. 

It IS a sold rock album and a great debut for sure. This is coming from a person who doesn't claim to hate Nickleback, so take it for what it is but when my friend asked what I thought I said "this is what Nickleback could do if they were just a hair more talented" 

average material. he can play all the instruments but nothing stands out. the Distance music video was touching though and I like Wolfie. there just wasn't anything special or memorable for me but I only listened to the album once. Cool that he's opening for Gn'R.

I'd like him to collaborate with others, like a real band perhaps it could yield better results.

• 2 weeks later...

The cynic in me says if his dad had unreleased music, why not use it and say it was you who made it?

On 6/13/2021 at 8:42 PM, StrangerInThisTown said:

You go listen to your Maroon 5 albums then bro, I won't disturb your sessions of listening to She Will Be Loved under candlelight in a bubblebath.

Moron 5

On 6/14/2021 at 12:42 AM, StrangerInThisTown said:

A lot of rock and pop songs are way more similar than people think. Verse/catchy anthem chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus. 

Songs About Jane was a solid record :shrugs:

• Like 1

On 6/13/2021 at 10:04 PM, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Dimestore Creed. Lol. Does it sound that bad?

On 7/2/2021 at 11:52 AM, ZoSoRose said:

A lot of rock and pop songs are way more similar than people think. Verse/catchy anthem chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus. 

Songs About Jane was a solid record :shrugs:

Did you enjoy the new Greta album?

5 minutes ago, Ixtlan said:

Dimestore Creed. Lol. Does it sound that bad?

Did you enjoy the new Greta album?

Yes, I did. I have a weird relationship with that band. I get 100% of the criticism, and think their image and pretentiousness are annoying. They should wear their influence on their sleeve instead of saying away from it. 

Still, I like about half of their material and it's nice to hear a cleanish Marshall tone in a band, again

1 hour ago, ZoSoRose said:

Yes, I did. I have a weird relationship with that band. I get 100% of the criticism, and think their image and pretentiousness are annoying. They should wear their influence on their sleeve instead of saying away from it. 

Still, I like about half of their material and it's nice to hear a cleanish Marshall tone in a band, again

It is nice to hear such tone. Hopefully they do great work one day. They might be the last real rock band for awhile.