Good Western Movies?

adamsapple

Any western fans here? I'd appreciate some recommendations, I got time to kill on them nightshifts. :lol:

So far I've watched some classics and some modern westerns, I enjoyed Open Range, Dances With Wolves, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence, High Noon, Unforgiven (and some other Eastwood westerns) and all Sergio Leone films.

My favourite so far would be Rio Bravo with John Wayne and Dean Martin, that movie would be in my all time top 10 western or not.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2021 at 8:39 PM, ZoSoRose said:

I love the "new" 3:10 to Yuma with Christian Bale and Russel Crowe. 

While I prefer the original, just the race against the clock will make you sweat. But I enjoyed the remake too. Crowe and Bale are great but the guy who played Charlie Prince nailed it.

I liked the True Gritt remake too and that’s coming from a big John Wayne fan. The little girl and Jeff Bridges give it their all.

Another with Jeff Bridges that is kinda overlooked is Wild Bill. You can def tell the series Deadwood was inspired here. And it’s different too, lots of trippy opium induced scenes.

On 9/23/2021 at 6:45 PM, adamsapple said:

Any western fans here? I'd appreciate some recommendations, I got time to kill on them nightshifts. :lol:

So far I've watched some classics and some modern westerns, I enjoyed Open Range, Dances With Wolves, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence, High Noon, Unforgiven (and some other Eastwood westerns) and all Sergio Leone films.

My favourite so far would be Rio Bravo with John Wayne and Dean Martin, that movie would be in my all time top 10 western or not.

Rio Bravo is definitely one of his best. Dean is great. My top Duke would be Liberty Valance, besides everything else about it, I like how it looks. One of the last b&w movies, but it looks really sharp. The Cowboys is a good one too.

I watched Open Range again not long ago and it’s still good. Another with Costner is Hatfields & McCoys. With Bill Paxton. It was a History channel mini series and turned out way better than I thought. Not a true western but same era and feel.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lame ass security said:

Blazing Saddles.😄 There's also an old one from 1958 called Cowboy starring Glenn Ford and Jack Lemmon.

Saddles is funny everytime.

Tombstone is hilarious even though it’s not a comedy. Val Kilmer should’ve won an award for that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J Dog said:

Rio Bravo is definitely one of his best. Dean is great. My top Duke would be Liberty Valance, besides everything else about it, I like how it looks. One of the last b&w movies, but it looks really sharp. The Cowboys is a good one too.

The Cowboys is great, loved it. Red River and Stagecoach are amazing too. So many gems in that genre, I feel stupid for having waited so long to watch these, but also like a kid in a candy store discovering one treasure after another. They don't make em like these anymore.

9 hours ago, marlingrl03 said:

Lonesome Dove is my all time favorite!  A classic..

It was between Lonsome Dove or Yellowstone for binge watching, but due the Beth and Rip characters in Yellowstone, the Costner show won me over. Guess I'll have to check out Lonesome Dove too, I suppose it's more of a real/old school western and it looks like it has very good actors too.

11 hours ago, J Dog said:

How can you beat Tommy Lee Jones and Robert Duvall, on top of their game, going at it for 6 hours?

Exactly this! B-)

7 hours ago, adamsapple said:

Guess I'll have to check out Lonesome Dove too, I suppose it's more of a real/old school western and it looks like it has very good actors too.

Oh, the very best of actors...indeed!!! 

• Like 2

On 9/26/2021 at 6:24 AM, adamsapple said:

The Cowboys is great, loved it. Red River and Stagecoach are amazing too. So many gems in that genre, I feel stupid for having waited so long to watch these, but also like a kid in a candy store discovering one treasure after another. They don't make em like these anymore.

There’s so many hidden gems.

One Eyed Jacks

Winchester ‘73

The Professionals

Day of the Outlaw

Death Rides a Horse

just a few oldies but goodies.

A few modern ones,

Appaloosa

The Long Riders

Silverado

Geronimo American Legend

Quigley Down Under

• Like 1

Some older ones that are great. Stagecoach, Ox-Bow Incident, Red River, My Darling Clementine. Red River is probably my favorite of the John Wayne era. This was the film that proved that Wayne could act and not just be John Wayne all the time. He played a more villainous role and even has an alternate ending where things were more bleak 

• Like 1

On 10/14/2021 at 5:30 PM, Georgy Zhukov said:

Some older ones that are great. Stagecoach, Ox-Bow Incident, Red River, My Darling Clementine. Red River is probably my favorite of the John Wayne era. This was the film that proved that Wayne could act and not just be John Wayne all the time. He played a more villainous role and even has an alternate ending where things were more bleak 

Red River is powerful, maybe the best movie from director Howard Hawks, along with Rio Bravo. Hawks is the reason I can't take Tarantino seriously. And that big action scene in Stagecoach? They couldn't even do that with CGI nowadays, John Ford was one hell of a great director.

John Wayne was amazing, love his voice, timing and delivery, an icon but also a fine actor, especially in those the darker films like Red River, Liberty Valance or The Searchers. I also enjoyed his more lighthearted stuff like The Quiet Man. Funny how he got academy award for True Grit of all things, that one isn't even in my top 10 of his best performances, even though it's a much better film than the remake. Just recently I saw She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, such a great performance from him, even though that movie was a bit too meandering for my liking, John Wayne's performance (and the scenery/photography) made me enjoy it.

Thanks for pointing me towards Ox-Bow Incident and My Darling Clementine, haven't seen those yet but I'll check them out!

Edited by adamsapple

On 10/18/2021 at 4:02 PM, adamsapple said:

Red River is powerful, maybe the best movie from director Howard Hawks, along with Rio Bravo. Hawks is the reason I can't take Tarantino seriously. And that big action scene in Stagecoach? They couldn't even do that with CGI nowadays, John Ford was one hell of a great director.

John Wayne was amazing, love his voice, timing and delivery, an icon but also a fine actor, especially in those the darker films like Red River, Liberty Valance or The Searchers. I also enjoyed his more lighthearted stuff like The Quiet Man. Funny how he got academy award for True Grit of all things, that one isn't even in my top 10 of his best performances, even though it's a much better film than the remake. Just recently I saw She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, such a great performance from him, even though that movie was a bit too meandering for my liking, John Wayne's performance (and the scenery/photography) made me enjoy it.

Thanks for pointing me towards Ox-Bow Incident and My Darling Clementine, haven't seen those yet but I'll check them out!

Agreed with all of this, and I loved Rio Bravo as well. Supposedly it was a conservative reaction to High Noon, another film I recommend. 

Ox-Bow and Clementine both star Henry Fonda with the latter being directed by John Ford. Speaking of John Ford, his films also inspired Kurowsawa to make his Samuri films like Yojimbo, Seven Samurai, Hidden Fortress, ect which inspired more Westerns. Shane is also great, the character Alan Ladd personafies the Western Hero who killed to civilize the West yet can't be accepted in civilized society because he was a killer

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

Agreed with all of this, and I loved Rio Bravo as well. Supposedly it was a conservative reaction to High Noon, another film I recommend. 

Ox-Bow and Clementine both star Henry Fonda with the latter being directed by John Ford. Speaking of John Ford, his films also inspired Kurowsawa to make his Samuri films like Yojimbo, Seven Samurai, Hidden Fortress, ect which inspired more Westerns. Shane is also great, the character Alan Ladd personafies the Western Hero who killed to civilize the West yet can't be accepted in civilized society because he was a killer

Shane sounds interesting, thanks! :) I saw My Darling Clementine the other night...wow, such an amazing movie! That scene where Henry Fonda turns around and drops his characters name and then everyone goes silent as if all hell is about to break lose....than tension, the timing, just amazing! Compared to My Darling Clementine, Tombstone now seems like a shallow bubblegum version to me. Watched a John Ford documentary right after and it said as a young man John Ford actually met the real Wyatt Earp in real life and with slight alterations put most of that film together according to what Wyatt Earp himself told him...blew my mind. Those films are so much more than just entertainment.

• 2 months later...

I've recently started watching Westerns so thanks all for the huge list of recommendations already given in the thread :D Of those mentioned "3:10 To Yuma" has been my favourite that I've seen.

I'm currently on my 2nd watch through of "Godless" series on Netflix, would definitely recommend if you haven't seen it yet, fantastic cinematography throughout :)

Also "There Will Be Blood" is great. It's about a silver-miner-turned-oilman on a ruthless quest for wealth during Southern Californias oil boom of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Not a western exactly as its set slightly later, but it has that old wild west feel to it.

Edited by willl

• 2 weeks later...