UYI boxset will be released 11/11/22. In Slash We Trust. * Now available *

6 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I think Slash said only that he should have gotten credit for the guitar work he did on Axl's piano songs. Izzy said he got the due credits for what he wrote. So it's basically Duff who probably felt under-credited.

Slash mentioned NR and Estranged I think as examples iirc. I can't tell for sure. But he talked about Don't Cry being a band effort and also said things like Locomotive was written with Izzy which he didn't got credit for or that credits were given randomly when Axl and Izzy weren't even there during the sessions in Chicago.

Based on what I read over the years and from listening to the songs I feel like the information on the liner notes isn't as accurate as I first thought. But like I said... what is songwriting, what is song structure?

I think a band like GNR which is bigger than the sum of their members and where everybody is involved in creating the songs, crediting everyone is probably the best thing to do.

55 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I don't know, but I don't think Axl determined those credits on his own. I guess Duff should have gotten credits for Don't Damn Me and Garden Of Eden, and a bigger share for Get In The Ring if he was credited only for the part of the lyrics he wrote (which we don't know), since they were among the songs written in Chicago.

I don't remember if Slash mentioned Don't Cry, but we have proof that it was fully written before he was in the band - of course his leads and solo elevated the song (Tracii's solo was dreadful), but it was a completed, fully structured song.

As far as I know, what counts as songwriting, strictly speaking, is chord progression, riffs, lyrics and melodies. The rest, like writing instrumental parts on an existing composition, are considered arrangement and accompaniment. However, arrangement can transform a song significantly and that's why many bands take it into account when they split the credits. I remember reading about the case of Procol Harum's A Whiter Shade Of Pale: the organist wasn't given a co-writing credit, went to court years later on the grounds that the organ was a very important part of the song, and won the lawsuit.

I think Slash said Don't Cry was the first song they have worked on as a band. That doesn't mean necessarily that it was written as a band but that statement leaves room for negotiations. To a professional musician this might be simple but to me it's not as easy to understand. Like when Slash gets thanked for the guitar melodies in Estranged then I think he's written them. Melodies are part of the songwriting... but he wasn't credited as a songwriter in the liner notes.

The solos on NR were just solos and solos aren't considered songwriting but they're essential to the song and there's clearly guitar interplay during the verses which could be songwriting... There's no clear rule to what is an arrangement and what is songwriting... yeah I know you listed some elements but it's overlapping at times.

Claptons Layla was rearranged and became a completely different song when it was played unplugged. Arrangement can change everything.

I just don't get where the borderline is but that's probably because I don't play instruments myself and have no clue about music theory.

When I search on google all the tracks appear on you tube already. The Ritz & Las Vegas. But they are not available in my country. I suppose they are available in New Zeeland only. 

Even the bonus tracks from London, Paris and Rio appear.

Edited by vicson
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, vicson said:

When I search on google all the tracks appear on you tube already. The Ritz & Las Vegas. But they are not available in my country. I suppose they are available in New Zeeland only. 

Even the bonus tracks from London, Paris and Rio appear.

can you give me a link? I know it's useless for me but i want to try somethin

5 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Holy shit I actually won a ticket to the Berlin Ritz showing, can’t believe it. I’ll be there in 7 hours in my Axl UYI shirt, life’s so strange. I’m so stoked to be seeing this on the big screen!

:headbang:

3 minutes ago, TheSlashrose said:

They are putting on some channels on the Internet full HD snippets of San Diego and Indiana, with quality not seen before.

Where are you seeing this? Indiana 91 is awesome!

• Like 1

some interesting stuff about lengh:

Live And Let Die - NY '91 on UYI I Disc 2 is 3:24 long
Live And Let Die - NY '91 on SDE Disc 3 is 5:19 long

it seems Axl talking about LALD is cut on CD2 bonus tracks

For Drum Solo Fans:
Drum Solo New York: 4:52
Drum Solo Las Vegas including band introduction: 6:35
Drum Solo Paris: 7:22

Wild Horses Paris is 3:18
Sail Away Sweet Sister is 1:10
No hidden tracks like Patience or Sweet Child O' Mine :-(

Double Talkin' Jive London: 5:33, so no dedication to some magazines like Kerrang

15 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Holy shit I actually won a ticket to the Berlin Ritz showing, can’t believe it. I’ll be there in 7 hours in my Axl UYI shirt, life’s so strange. I’m so stoked to be seeing this on the big screen!

HERZLICHEN GLÜCKWUNSCH. würde ja mitkommen wenn die Aufführung auch mit Tickets zu kaufen gibt aber auf der Cinestar Seite sehe ich nichts. Ich gönne dir das. VIEL SPAß  :--)

Edited by t-p-d-a
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Awesome! Glückwunsch! 

BTW, I got a response from the local Cinestar cinema, the regional manager or whatever he's called said that there are no such events or more screenings planned. 

Edited by Spoon87
  • Like 1