American Ninja 2 movie - Move to the City

American Ninja 2 movie came out on May 1, 1987 before the release of AFD. 

in the 7 minute mark of the movie, while a car is driving they are playing Move to the City

is this common knowledge amongst the gnr fans? At this point, only Live Like A Suicide was released locally in LA. 

wonder how this song ended up in the movie?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Wow 5

50 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

I'm remembering this film scene. It was one of these stupid movies with Michael Dudikoff but I never realized that the movie was released prior to AFD :lol:

Does Dudikoff mean shithead in German? 😂

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, ryanf23 said:

In the credits, it shows Izzy Stradlin, DJ and Chris Weber as the writers

i assume DJ is Del James

This thing keeps coming up - I’m 90% sure DJ is not Del James. From my fading memory DJ was a bass player that was with Hollywood Rose or another of those early bands at some stage and only briefly. I’m also pretty sure Marc Canter confirmed this on the forum at some stage. 

4 hours ago, Euchre said:

This thing keeps coming up - I’m 90% sure DJ is not Del James. From my fading memory DJ was a bass player that was with Hollywood Rose or another of those early bands at some stage and only briefly. I’m also pretty sure Marc Canter confirmed this on the forum at some stage. 

It is a bit confusing. In his biography, Steven mentions that a guy called DJ was playing bass in Hollywood Rose when he saw the band for the first time with Slash, and that he believed this bass player had also helped write the song. Yet, Del James is credited as one of the song writers. Thus, it is natural to assume DJ and Del James is the same person. But if it was Del James Steven saw playing bass with Hollywood Rose back then in 1984, wouldn't he later, when writing his biography, have realized it was James he had seen? Or was there really two people, Del James who helped write the song and DJ who played bass for a short time in Hollywood Rose? If Marc says confirmed the latter, then I need to see this.

One problem I just realized with all this. Del James moved to Los Angeles in '85 and quickly hooked up with the band and their friends. Yet, Move To The City was written in early 1984, or earlier (Slash and Steven saw Hollywood Rose play the song in February 1984, with DJ playing bass). So maybe Del James didn't help write the song at all, it was this guy DJ and at some point someone made the mistake of thinkin git stood for Del James?

Can someone confirm that in the liner notes to LIve Like A Suicide or LIES, that "Del James" is listed?

15 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

One problem I just realized with all this. Del James moved to Los Angeles in '85 and quickly hooked up with the band and their friends. Yet, Move To The City was written in early 1984, or earlier (Slash and Steven saw Hollywood Rose play the song in February 1984, with DJ playing bass). So maybe Del James didn't help write the song at all, it was this guy DJ and at some point someone made the mistake of thinkin git stood for Del James?

Can someone confirm that in the liner notes to LIve Like A Suicide or LIES, that "Del James" is listed?

From a quick scan of Discogs, the name seems to be credited as D.J. on all vinyl issues of Lies as well as LLAS.

If D.J. does stand for Del James, why isn't he credited in the ISWC or BMI writing credit databases?

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, LlamaRenegade said:

From a quick scan of Discogs, the name seems to be credited as D.J. on all vinyl issues of Lies as well as LLAS.

If D.J. does stand for Del James, why isn't he credited in the ISWC or BMI writing credit databases?

Thank you!! This fits with Marc Canter, Steven's quote. Some guy called DJ played in Hollywood Rose in the early days and helped write MTTC. Del James has nothing to do with this. I will correct my database.

• Like 1

Loved this song back in the 80s. 

And it's funny that this movie was one of my first VHS rentals back in the day, but I don't really remember to recognize the song being played. I was a stupid kid, though. Now I'm just stupid.

9 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

This is hilarious, especially because it's the Brazilian Portuguese dub from the 80s, which have a very nostalgic and particular sound quality to me. Thanks for posting it. :)

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Loved this song back in the 80s. 

And it's funny that this movie was one of my first VHS rentals back in the day, but I don't really remember to recognize the song being played. I was a stupid kid, though. Now I'm just stupid.

This is hilarious, especially because it's the Brazilian Portuguese dub from the 80s, which have a very nostalgic and particular sound quality to me. Thanks for posting it. :)

Most likely, you saw the first American Ninja which was more popular in the VHS stores. MTTC appeared in American Ninja 2 which was less popular

10 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Yes, there is no credit for Del James on the performing rights organizations databases (ASCAP, BMI, etc.). It's only the five GN'R members and Chris Weber.

The liner notes of the Appetite Super Deluxe only list the song as “Written by Guns N’ Roses and Chris Weber”.

It sounds to me like they couldn’t figure out the identity of D.J. and thought it would be easier to remove his credit completely.

I wonder how much money this D.J. guy has missed out on royalties over the years.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Axl has been fastidious in listing song writers. For a song on UYIs a guy called Billy had participated in the writing. Axl did not remember the last name so he was credited as simply "Billy". Years later, the sister of the late Billy McCloud (?) thanked Axl for having insisted on crediting her brother despite not remembering his last name, which resulted in his kids getting royalties (McCloud died from cancer). 

It was Yesterdays: https://www.a-4-d.com/t122-yesterdays#140

21 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Another example of Axl being careful to get credits right, was Chinese Democracy. If I remember correctly, Chris Pitman was tasked with making sure everyone was listed. 

didn't Axl complement Paul Huge saying how he remembered which musician contributed and what to Chinese?

Edited by Rovim