Live Era detailed analysis

On 3/25/2024 at 6:55 AM, t-p-d-a said:

can you remember if Axl Rose told the crowd to take a step back. The speech of Axl after "Mr. Brownstone Live Era Version" ?

It's unknown where the speech came from. But the "probably a year or so", (Omaha 1993) and "step back" (Live Era with a layer fake crowd over the speech and real crowd) sounds similare... atleast in my subjective opinion and ears

I know this sounds crazy, but I swear I remember reading that the "take a step back" thing was actually recorded in the studio.  I'll see if I can find the article. 

• Like 1

You need to learn to put some effort in....

2 hours ago, Sweersa said:

I wonder if some of the Axl vocals from AFD from '99 (or whatever) was used for the Live Era release. 

Well Sweet Child "Big Daddy" is all we've officially gotten from that, right? Wonder where in the world the locker that contains those cd-r's are....

2 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

You need to learn to put some effort in....

Well Sweet Child "Big Daddy" is all we've officially gotten from that, right? Wonder where in the world the locker that contains those cd-r's are....

Yes, that is correct. I wish they had released the full version of that track. The live performance part of it didn't sound good at all. It has long been rumored the rerecorded AFD is out there. Some (can't recall who) claim to have it. For me, it would be a neat curiosity. But I value it less than actual "new" or even older mixed of released/leaked tracks with Axl vocals. (Seven, Berlin, Zodiac, Soul Monster (Buckethead), The General (Buckethead) etc.) 

Aside from a bonus/anniversary release of CD, our best bet of hearing the Robin and Buckethead CD mixes would be another large leak, much like the Village leaks, but of material from 2001-2004 if we are lucky (pre-Bumblefoot), but I'd take the latter stuff too, as I'd imagine the material Bumblefoot played on still has a bulk of Robin/Bucket material, much like the 2008 album did. 

On 3/27/2024 at 4:25 PM, Sweersa said:

I wonder if some of the Axl vocals from AFD from '99 (or whatever) was used for the Live Era release. 

Possible BUT I think he'd have to re-record specifically for the live vibe and try and match what he did at the time but without flaws....who knows though...Not the case if you see the difference between Sweet Child live morphing into new studio....

On 3/28/2024 at 1:46 AM, evilfacelessturtle said:

Many here seem to think so. But there are also overdubs on UYI tracks, so Axl had to have recorded vocals specifically for Live Era as well.

Wouldn't surprise me if Axl record a lot more of the catalogue with the new band...probably all live tracks that were to be the early live sets....he did tell us even they had done YCBM too, didn't he?

Edited by colonizedmind
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

Wouldn't surprise me if Axl record a lot more of the catalogue with the new band...probably all live tracks that were to be the early live sets....he did tell us even they had done YCBM too, didn't he?

This thread has the info you seek. :) You Could Be Mine and Patience replaced two of the songs on rerecorded AFD. I really wished they released this as a bonus, even if download only, or on some tacky flash drive from the Guns store. I'd happily pay good money for an official version of that. Easy money for the band to help with legal issues. :P  

• Like 1

On 3/27/2024 at 12:25 PM, Sweersa said:

I wonder if some of the Axl vocals from AFD from '99 (or whatever) was used for the Live Era 

Well the Live Era and Big Daddy vocals are different takes as far as i remember

• Like 1

I haven't listened to it in a dog's age, but isn't the Big Daddy version pitched up slightly (ie. not quite a half step down)? That could explain why the vocals sound slightly different in tonality, but probably the same take. At least until it morphs into the "new" version halfway through the solo. Still such a bizarre inclusion for a film.

18 minutes ago, James Bond said:

At least until it morphs into the "new" version halfway through the solo. Still such a bizarre inclusion for a film.

The live performance in the first part of that song sounds horrible. I wish they used the full studio version instead for the movie.

1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

The live performance in the first part of that song sounds horrible. I wish they used the full studio version instead for the movie.

There were suggestions on fan sites and rock music blogs way back in the day that it being a half live and half studio version was a compromise. If I remember right the idea was that Axl wanted a full studio rerecorded version in the movie and soundtrack, but Slash and Duff objected hence it's not on the soundtrack at all and is half and half. Who knows if that's true or not. It's one of those weird things the band has done and then basically pretends never happened.

• Thanks 1

On 3/24/2024 at 9:21 PM, ChristianGNR said:

Aren’t the Live Era vocals coming from AFD 99 sessions?

I was listening to Sweet Child from Big Daddy soundtrack and it sounds exactly the same vocals from Live Era. 

The Live Era vox were done in the summer of '99, I think. The AFD redux was put on tape a year earlier. Axl never confirmed or denied re-recording the lead vocals specifically for AFD redux.

The BD SCOM was said to be a mashup of an old live and a redux version (w/ Live Era lead vox). The new WTTJ (which almost got on the Black Hawk Down OST) would've likely been similar.

• Like 1

I just listened back to SCOM from Big Daddy and I'm struck by how amateurish the mixing is considering all the money that was thrown at Axl in those years.

Another thought that occured to me is how obviously inferior Fink's soloing is to the original. People think technical skill just means speed, but his runs are nowhere near as fluid as Slash's, and his attempt to do the classic Slash revolving lick is just not even close.

On 4/4/2024 at 10:18 AM, ChristianGNR said:

Dont think so. I remember hearing those 2 versions weeks ago and sounded exactly the same vocal take.

Dead give away is the chorus. Big daddy he does the long "oooooohh oh oh oh sweet love oh mine", live era he goes "a short "oh oh oh sweet love of me"