Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

Eric Cantona

11 minutes ago, Padme said:

I saw the Han Solo movie, starring a younger actor. I didn't like ir at all!! :angry:   It is not about the actor's age. It was just a horrible movie.  I feel the same way about the Star Wars sequel trilogy.  Disney killed Star Wars!!! Until Filoni y Favreau brought it back to life with  Mandalorian and Star Wars Rebels

I am not too happy about digitally de-aging actors myself, either. The technology isn't all there yet. Better to gracefully accept that time catches up with all of us and instead introduce new talentful, actors to carry the torch of a franchise forward.

I have no opinions on Star Wars.

31 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I am not too happy about digitally de-aging actors myself, either. The technology isn't all there yet. Better to gracefully accept that time catches up with all of us and instead introduce new talentful, actors to carry the torch of a franchise forward.

I have no opinions on Star Wars.

I understand. But if the movie has bad actors, directors, producers or  the script just sucks. Age it's the least of problems. :shrugs:

5 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

I just wrote out a big articulate post that was even peppered with some humour and olive branchy shit in there but I've deleted it because at this point it's all just fucking futile innit? :lol:

I think people are so fed up with me stubbornly defending myself, they'd really rather I just didn't. Whether I'm justified, facts, context, none of that matters to anyone but me really.

Ultimately I must bow unquestioningly to things such as you and downzy's views, LGBTQ and the Disney corporation - which, to me, is like a dystopian joke - or I'm the bad guy. Well, I don't like that, motherfuckers. :lol:

I don't want to do iiiit.

Enjoy the movie.

they thought they'd make you, jump and be good :P

11 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Ultimately I must bow unquestioningly to things such as you and downzy's views, LGBTQ and the Disney corporation - which, to me, is like a dystopian joke - or I'm the bad guy. Well, I don't like that, motherfuckers. :lol:

Nah, you don't have to do anything. Just don't watch Disney movies if they aggravate you this much. Surely your life doesn't revolve around movies anyway, or you can just watch old movies that you like. It doesn't matter. It shouldn't matter. There are enough movies coming out every year, there is no need to watch movies you won't like, for whatever reason. Your life won't fall apart just because some movies are shitty. It's been like this since movies started to come out. No need to rage and rant about it. 

1 minute ago, Oldest Goat said:

What's fucked up is they're on the same page as me with most things. And like I'm probably 95% leftwing. I guess all that matters is *voice of a Chinese father* "Wuh happen to the other 5%?!" :lol:

Why do you have so much problem with people disagreeing with you on the last 5%? People rarely agree on things 100% anyways. Like my friends and I, there are areas were we disagree. Heatedly, at times. It's okay. It doesn't matter. We are still friends because we have enough areas where we see eye to eye and because we love each other. What does it matter? You are not hanging out with your mates at the pub now. You are at a discussion forum, that what's we do. We expose our opinions and people will disagree. It's all good. No need to take it to heart and talk about how people stab you in the back when it turns out they don't agree with you 100%. There is always so much drama with you and then you start with the ad hominem attacks. 

What's fucked up is they're on the same page as me with most things. And like I'm probably 95% leftwing. I guess all that matters is *voice of a Chinese father* "Wuh happen to the other 5%?!" :lol:

but why does it matter what anyone thinks about you? I don't get it, man. It's always the same shit with a few people including you that just don't see eye to eye on the same topics it seems? what's great about the internet is that you can just ignore those who you don't enjoy conversing with. It's as simple as that isn't it? especially if the end result is mostly you not getting what you want from the discussion.

it just feels way too personal to only be about movies, the lgbtq movement, and current culture for it to seemingly get on your nerves so much, but maybe I'm wrong. I just don't see the point of anyone getting worked up about any of this shit. It's not like we're changing world order here...

• Like 1

I have the old movies but I want even more good movies that are to my liking. Especially when they're already established IPs that I'm a fan of.

I'm a bit of a movie buff, film matters to me quite a lot but no my life doesn't hinge on movies and if this or that movie is ruined and turns out awful, that displeases me but as always I won't fall apart and obviously I'll have to stop watching.

I get that, and I accept that it is a bummer. Still, surely there must be heaps of movies coming out? Like independent movies, Korean movies, Scandinavian movies, Israeli? It's an ocean of movies, you can't possibly cover it all anyways. And I get it is a drag to see beloved franchises change in ways you don't appreciate, but surely there are lots of franchises elsewhere not made by Hollywood, which is a superficial cesspool anyway. You can't change Disney and Hollywood anyway, the quicker you adapt/move the shorter the agony. 

2 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

You just answered your own question, yes, it's unlikely we're going to agree on 100% so I shouldn't have to fucking hear about that 5% to the extent that I do.

Well, we might only disagree on 5% but you keep bringing those 5% up over and over. And you know me, I won't stop speaking me mind ;). As long as you keep railing against modern society I will keep posting my views. This is, after all, a discussion board.

All of this is okay, the problem is really that you get so worked up over it. It's like you just can't take people disagreeing with you without losing it. Every time you end up spewing ad hominems before dramatically announcing you will leave unless the admins back you up. Oh, the drama! Yet here we are, again. Don't get me wrong, I don't want you to leave, I want you to realize that it is okay if people disagree with you, and it doesn't mean people don't like you.

People disagreeing with you aren't villains out to get you. You get so worked up about it that the only explanation to you is that they must be fucking with you. They must "lie and do retarded shit", because that's the only explanation for why you feel the way you do. You can't accept that it is just people disagreeing, they must be fucking monsters, because why else would you feel the way you do? It is a coping mechanism, it allows you to reconcile the strong emotions you feel. So you take normal disagreement and your own abnormal reaction to that disagreement, and you repair this cognitive dissonance, this gulf between what happens and your reaction to what happens, by convincing yourself that they are not simply disagreeing with you, they are fucking doing dirty things to get you, they are fucking lying to you, they are fucking out to get you. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Haha. Jesus Christ. Ya know, if you mindlessly repeat "You have a problem with rage you can't handle being questioned you have a problem with rage" to anyone, eventually, yeah, most people will indeed have a problem with rage lol. Is that fair? Do you really not grasp that?

Are you seriously going to claim that I am the only one pointing out you get a tad but emotional at times? You have admitted to it yourself, multiple times. Why does your curtains drop when I state the obvious? 

12 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

How do you explain this one and not only example of how full of shit your very hyperbolic sensationalized summary of me is? That's rhetorical btw because the point is you can't.

What exactly do you want me to explain? You lost me. You want me to explain why you defend downzy? Why should I have to explain that? It is no way in disagreement with anything I have stated. 

As for what you refer to as my "hyperbolic sensationalized summary of" you - I think I was spot on. But regardless of whether you agree or not, the main point is still that I think you should chill and that what you perceive as people being unfair to you is still you just reacting reacting absurdly passionately to that 5% disagreement. Just get over it. We are still in 95% agreement and I still like you. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

You want me to chill, I get it, fair enough. I can get behind that. But it's retarded of you to demand I be chill while also harrassing me and going out of your way to piss me off lol.

See, this is exactly what I am talking about. No one is harassing you, no one is going out of their way to piss you off. People disagree with you, and you can't take it.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

If they cut the cgi monkey and bug shit then Crystal Skull would have been fine. I don’t care if there are aliens, there were God ghosts and a million year old knight in the old ones

still more likely to exist irl compared to the Crystal Skull fridge. I've never tried so hard to suspend my disbelief at how shit a script was. Can't wait for this next one though. 

26 minutes ago, Rovim said:

still more likely to exist irl compared to the Crystal Skull fridge. I've never tried so hard to suspend my disbelief at how shit a script was. Can't wait for this next one though. 

Oh yeah that was dumb. It was just an excuse to have a CGI mushroom cloud

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Fuck it, I thought it was fantastic

I love Indiana Jones, it's my childhood. One of, if not my earliest actual memory is watching Temple Of Doom, and I remember being hooked immediately. With this one I really made a conscious choice to avoid everything that I could - I watched the first teaser a single time when it dropped, and that's it. I wanted to go in with as open a mind a possible. That said, it's very hard to zone out the negative press it's been getting and it all manages to boil down to social media "lol this movie is a mess and it's gonna tank" shitposts. I didn't actually read any reviews before seeing it, but I knew the general perception of it was not positive going into it. With that in mind, I didn't have particularly high expectations. 

I really, really enjoyed it. I had a few nitpicky things that I can critique, but I'm talking small elements. Big picture, I think they hit most of the marks. The story had some emotional gravitas about it - something that I think was really appropriate given that it was written as Indy's swan song. The dialogue is much better than KOTCS, and there were some really touching moments in the film. The third act did not totally shit the bed like KOTCS, despite similarly going a bit off the deep end. Ford turned in a hell of a performance in this one, one of his best performances in a long time. The MacGuffin worked a lot better than I expected given the little bit I knew about where they were heading with this movie. The de-aging was not perfect I'll admit, but it was a lot more serviceable than we got of a certain character in the Star Wars Disney+ series' for example. It was not overused the way so many people expected. But most importantly - it felt like an Indy film. 

All that said, I do understand most of the criticisms others have about the movie. The third act, while it didn't shit the bed, was a bit hard to follow and certain events feel...a little open to interpretation, or at least poorly explain (More in the spoilers below). The character development between Indy and Helena could've been fleshed out a bit more. Mikkelsen was good, but definitely underutilized. It's hard not to draw comparisons between Teddy and Short Round as a child sidekick and let's be honest - Short Round wins all day long. 

After a single viewing, I'd rank this one firmly in the middle for me. Temple Of Doom is my personal favorite, Raiders in not far behind. Decent gap between Raiders and Dial, and I'd put Last Crusade just behind. Big drop off between Last Crusade and Crystal Skull. 

Now the juicy stuff...

Spoiler

- I mentioned a few nitpicky, missing elements. I really missed the Paramount fade into the opening shot, and the "where is Indy now?" text at the start of a new segment of the film (i.e. New York, 1969). They're both things that are so synonymous with an Indy film, that it feels incomplete without. Along the same lines, the single use of the travel map was too flashy, it didn't feel at all like the travel map cutscenes of the past. 

- The Antikythera actually worked quite well as a MacGuffin. When Voller first mentioned it's ability to predict fissures in space and time, it's hard to not think "oh fuck, here we go again just like the aliens". But it's not on the nose and it doesn't feel overused when the time travel eventually happens. It is however a bit jarring to have a MacGuffin that we do actually have known relics of discovered in real life. 

- Assuming I have interpreted the third act right (The Antikythera does possess the power to travel through time, but Archimedes only made it so it could bring time travelers back to the Siege of Syracuse, not that Voller miscalculated his time jump due to continental drift like Indy suggests), it's actually quite a clever spin on the perpetual time travel paradoxes so common in time travel films. By Archimedes making the Antikythera work on a closed loop, it writes out the possibility of a paradox happening - Archimedes tomb has the inscription of the propellers and he has Voller's watch because it always was destined to happen. It also means Indy was always destined to go back to the modern time - there is no choice involved in the time travel. It also changes the meaning of the title, it literally is the dial of destiny.

- It was great to see Salah and Marion again, however brief. I don't care how cheesy it was, I loved the callback to Raiders in the final scene between Indy and Marion. 

• Like 2

Watched it on premiere day in Edinburgh. This is a movie which requires certain expectations to be in check, and I found myself having a great time during it. The directing is different from the rest of Indy films, and the editing was weird at times. Harrison Ford does a great job as expected, really liked Phoebe Waller-Bridge in this.

Visually it’s a stunning film. Beautifully shot.

The story itself isn’t groundshaking, but still very fitting for Indiana Jones. Found myself loving the story climax, which I understood was controversial between others.

Very decent film. I think it’s gonna be appreciated more after some years have passed.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

24 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Seeing it this Sunday. I’m a fan of all the other ones, so hopefully I like this one too.

I saw it.  Make sure your expectations are incredibly low, lower than the lowest thing ever, then you might enjoy it.  At least the first 20 minutes anyway.  

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Oxford said:

I saw it.  Make sure your expectations are incredibly low, lower than the lowest thing ever, then you might enjoy it.  At least the first 20 minutes anyway.  

Sooo...care to say what you didn't like about it instead of just chiming in with "it sucks ass"?

48 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Still got to see it but why no George and Spielberg? :(

They are still credited as executive producers on the movie.

1 hour ago, Oxford said:

Uh oh…

9 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

Sooo...care to say what you didn't like about it instead of just chiming in with "it sucks ass"?

I don’t want to reveal any spoilers but…..

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS  

So now Indy is scared of insects and spiders, and PWB has to rescue him from a spider on his hat that he’s panicking about.  

He is belittled and outsmarted throughout the film. 

Dumb things just occur like the villain being hit by a steel girder in the head cleanly and smack on at 70 miles an hour on top of the train, and later pops up impossibly alive and unharmed   

Indy isn’t the main character in his own film and yet again we have a Mary Sue that is supposedly better at everything than Indy.  But, it’s a horrible unlikeable character that constantly tells us how good and clever she is without ever doing anything to get the audience to believe it first.  She steals artefacts to sell on the black market, but still takes the moral high ground by referencing Indy as a grave robber throughout.  And her introduction is to trap Indy in a storage place so that he gets accused of murder, and she doesn’t care a bit about that.

It’s more like Fast and Furious than an Indy film.   Vehicle chases are too long and too many  

It’s boring and things happen in the film just because the script says so rather than there actually being a logical reason for it to happen.  The bad guys constantly catching up to them for a start   

The main Nazi has a black sidekick who keeps calling white people crackers. I don’t think the script writer actually knows what Nazis are except that they’re bad people.  But nothing beyond that.  So it’s a bit weird .

The Short Round character introduced can suddenly fly a plane expertly after 5 minutes tuition in a bar using plates and cutlery tied together.

And worst of all. SPOILER……

Indy spends the last third of the film captured and dying and has to be rescued by PWB who then knocks him out with one punch and somehow off screen, gets him fixed up, back to the future and into his apartment, where everything is happy ever after. Despite him being wanted for murder.  

There are a ton more things, but I’ll be here forever.  It’s just awful.   But that’s just my opinion.   I love Indy, but this just wasn’t an Indy film for me in any way.  It just made me mad.  I didn’t like Crystal skull much either, but that’s a masterpiece compared to this  

Edited by Oxford