Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

Eric Cantona

On 12/9/2022 at 5:40 PM, jamillos said:

Who cares, we're all gonna watch it, let's not pretend otherwise. It's Indy. It's not the 80s any more, but... fuck, it's Indy. HF back at it again. We're basically still just kids, only now we have cars and responsibilities and all this bullshit. But the magic is still there. 

Sometimes I still surprise myself. 

Coming this summer, June 30th I think. That was the announcement in the Star Wars celebration last weekend :headbang:

• Like 2

On 12/10/2022 at 2:45 AM, AxlisOld said:

Watch like the first, I dunno, 40 minutes-hour. Then just...end it. It'll hold up as a shittier Indiana Jones movie, but an Indy movie nonetheless.

That movie did start out pretty good, the fridge scene is when it got weird, and continued to go down that path.

I have to admit I watched it after not seeing it since it came out a year or two ago, and it aged better than expected.

there's a new trailer, and by god the rumours were true. More woke shit.

looks like the new movie will go on a full assault destroying the legacy, with mind numbing, brain cell destroying "anti white male" drivel

makes kingdom of the crystal skull look like a bloody masterpiece

the new mario movie looks a thousand times more badass than this upcoming indy movie. Bury it already. I fucking hope it flops, i'm sure it will.

17 minutes ago, action said:

looks like the new movie will go on a full assault destroying the legacy, with mind numbing, brain cell destroying "anti white male" drivel

the new mario movie looks a thousand times more badass than this upcoming indy movie. Bury it already. I fucking hope it flops, i'm sure it will.

I don't think so. I mean the trailer looks great with action scenes. Sure there are women. But that was always the case since the first Indianna Jones movie.  There will be also another Star Wars movie, starring Daisy Riddle. That one could be worst than woke. I pass on that one.

• Haha 2

On 12/9/2022 at 4:40 PM, jamillos said:

Who cares, we're all gonna watch it, let's not pretend otherwise. It's Indy. It's not the 80s any more, but... fuck, it's Indy. HF back at it again. We're basically still just kids, only now we have cars and responsibilities and all this bullshit. But the magic is still there. 

Sometimes I still surprise myself. 

Could not have said this any better.:lol:

Nice little thread topic.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, action said:

Maybe they will have Indy have a daughter, only for us to learn it was his son who had sexual reassignment surgery, with one of the themes of the film being about not only discovering artifacts, but discovering one's sexual identity as well. :P 

5 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Looks like an Indiana Jones film very much made by The Disney Corporation, that will most likely have their typical - for lack of a less triggering word "woke" - agenda. Which they have actively confirmed, expressed and demonstrated in the media they produce.

You're into modern Disney and their political agenda. I can't relate to that but okay whatever fair enough, what can I do, I have no desire to stop you going to the cinema or to pry the bluray out of your hands. That being said, since you're getting what you want doesn't it make you a bit of a douchebag if getting things your way isn't enough and you have to also compulsively heap scorn upon the fans who are unhappy with the new direction? Surely with that attitude at least don't have the gall to continuously complain about the 'us vs them' cultural climate, since you apparently want to also cultivate it.

I don't have a clue what political agenda you're talking about. I also don't know what it is that you think I want that I'm apparently getting. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

*Jw224 boldly wanders into the colosseum.*

Also Jw224...

*immediately surrenders* "What am I talking about? Whose talking and what are they talking about? Where am I?"

:lol:

Yeah ,no. You can't just project what's going on in your head onto me and act like I should somehow give a shit or know what you mean. I said that people who are getting angry about a trailer for an Indiana Jones movie for unexplained "woke" reasons should go outside, and I stand by that, lol.

• Like 2

it's made by disney. says enough.

had it been made by nintendo, a japanese company who still does not give a fuck about "modern audiences", then there'd be at least a chance this could be salvaged

but disney, by this point, is run by groomers and closet pedophiles who want to impose their moronic ideals to our children

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

But if the script rumours are true, that this random woman who so far is unfortunately unendearing and cringe, is going to 'replace' Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones...then what you say here will just be like saying "There have always been women in James Bond films who James Bond saves and sleeps with...ergo the next 007 should be a woman."

Harrison Ford, and hence Indiana Jones, is an old man now. They need someone younger to accompany him in an adventure/action movie. And yes, this person is a woman. I realize you are outraged about this but you shouldn't be. 

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1
  • Confused 1

Besides, there is nothing new with there being a female lead role in Indiana Jones movies. They have tended to be more of the "damsel-in-distress" type, though, as a yin to the machochism of Jones. I understand such modern female empowerment can be a hard pill to swallow for a certain kind of men and that they feel it "ruins" their art. Well, they could always go back to watch old western movies where men rule and women don't instead of whining about it. Or just take a leaf from the stoicism of these primitive men they paradoxically fawn over. 

21 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Harrison Ford, and hence Indiana Jones, is an old man now. They need someone younger to accompany him in an adventure/action movie. 

you clearly didn't watch the trailer. he looks young in it; that's what the plot is about; going back in time and be young again.

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Besides, there is nothing new with there being a female lead role in Indiana Jones movies. They have tended to be more of the "damsel-in-distress" type, though, as a yin to the machochism of Jones. I understand such modern female empowerment can be a hard pill to swallow for a certain kind of men and that they feel it "ruins" their art. Well, they could always go back to watch old western movies where men rule and women don't instead of whining about it. Or just take a leaf from the stoicism of these primitive men they paradoxically fawn over. 

hollywood, and disney in particular, seem to display contempt for white hetero male roles in any of the movies they make these days.

the new Indy does not seem to be an exception.

like star wars before, the movie seems to go in a disrespectful direction. disrespectful, to white male heterosexuals. It is purely racist / sexist propaganda.

modern female empowerment is a cancer. most females do not support this extremist, hatefull movement. Let alone a white male like yourself

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, action said:

like star wars before, the movie seems to go in a disrespectful direction. disrespectful, to white male heterosexuals. It is purely racist / sexist propaganda.

I guess I'm a sexist racist because I have no respect for you.

1 hour ago, action said:

modern female empowerment is a cancer. most females do not support this extremist, hatefull movement.

Lol, as if you know what any female supports.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, action said:

you clearly didn't watch the trailer. he looks young in it; that's what the plot is about; going back in time and be young again.

No, that's just in the start of the movie. It starts in the 1940s with a youngish Jones, but the majority is set in the 60s with an old and retired Jones. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

NOTE: Instead of being abrupt with you guys I'm going to put a little effort in. Will it pay off? If you edit what I say and take anything out of context I'll just bail.

You'll be pleased to hear you are mistaken. I'm of course not outraged by him being accompanied by a woman. In and of itself I have no problem with that. Please stop trying to extrapolate what I'm saying into hidden meanings that simply aren't there. I am enough of an outspoken prick that if I did have some strange bigoted view such as never wanting females or blacks or whatever depicted in films; I would just outright say that.

What I do have a problem with though is things like bad writing, tokenism, Disney etc constantly pushing their politics - which is an absolute fact btw this isn't some kooky conspiracy, it's a thing they openly admit they do and demonstrate it over and over. And to be clear I'd have a problem with it if it were a rightwing political agenda; I simply do not want to be bombarded with 'any' agenda all the time, I really don't understand why that's so problematic for people like you and so difficult to comprehend.

There is a negative precedent that has been consistently set by entities such as Disney. There's the script rumours about them travelling back in time and literally erasing Indy and replacing him with this random actress. There's the two trailers Disney have released which look kind of terrible and this may shock you but people are allowed to react negatively to trailers, the only options aren't unwavering joyful compliance or silence lmao. In my opinion, things don't bode well but I am good enough to be balanced and think well rumours are rumours and trailers are only trailers, so I won't make up my mind before seeing the film.

I'm being very reasonable and I can come to terms with you and downzy not sharing 100% of my opinions to the extent that I don't do things like making shit up. The great irony to you and downzy frantically getting on my dick is I have a history of trying to defend downzy and even you. Are you balanced enough to stop being hellbent on sensationalizing what I say and do? We shall see.

The only lead role in the Indiana Jones films so far is Harrison Ford. He's ancient now and so in my opinion they should probably not make any more but if they are going to replace him, my pick would be Ke Huy Quan aka 'Short Round' from Temple of Doom, going forward with him as the new lead adventurer while staying true to the spirit of 'Indiana Jones'. He doesn't look like a young Harrison Ford but like Harrison's character, I'd still have him get a fair amount of female attention through his charm and a lot of them thinking he's cute. He'd be a legitimate capable adventurer who is cool in his own right but also respects his friend Indiana Jones and wears his hat after he takes up the mantle because he loves him and shares his heart for adventure. Meaning not Hollywood's go-to of "Hi I'm a horrible, uncharismatic, sarcastic grating bitch and btw I'm here to retcon your beloved character. Anything he can do I can do better." My standards are higher than that especially when it's an already established beloved IP.

But as I've said, only judging from the script rumours and trailers, maybe things will work out. There's rumours they've frantically done re-writes to try to not be so shit, fingers crossed.

You focus a lot on my masculinity lol. Please stop. I'm quite happy for female characters to not just be damsels in distress, perfect easy example, Ripley in the Alien franchise - so there goes that theory which I've already addressed multiple times before. I'm an intelligent, sensitive, guy who's a huge admirer of 'Stepford Wives' for fuck sake I literally watch that film and think "Oh my god! Kill them! Kill those Men's Association psychos!" haha. But I'm somehow a bad man because I don't go around being a white knight simp like you and downzy - which is absolutely about your masculinity btw, your incessant public espousing of your so-called progressive views while desperately chastising me, trying to show what advanced men you are. It's as funny as it is annoying.

I'm a big fan of Westerns. I love them but not because "men rule and women don't" lol. Also, it's worth noting that I feel very critical of how Native Americans have often been portrayed and how John Wayne aka Marian was a racist little shit. My two favourites are 'High Noon'(I relate a bit to Gary Cooper's character whenever I'm here lol) and 'Unforgiven'.

"You and your goaty friend" lol...wtf.

I don't agree with everything action thinks. He knows that. I agree with him on this. I don't mind having both agreements and disagreements with people I think that's healthy. It's weird how you try and act otherwise. When I agree with you, do you fantasize that I have become you? You know, until I agree with action or whoever and become them lmfao. Jesus Christ.

You amp up, extrapolate and sensationalize what I say. If you stopped, if you didn't imagine me totally fragile beside myself consumed with rage then you'd find a lot less irony. I suggest reading my response to Soul Monster.

I don't think "everyone is out to get white straight men" I think some people are lol.

Anyway, hopefully the film turns out well.

I think you can relax, the rumours aren't true: Indiana Jones is not replaced by a woman, this is the final installment in the series, Harrison Ford still is the main focus although Jones is accompanied by his goddaughter through large parts of the movie. 

You let yourself get worked up about rumours. 

But who knows, maybe Disney will change their minds and decide to make a sixth movie? Ford is too old so it is not unlikely they will shift focus to his goddaughter, who undoubtedly is a woman. Would that be so terrible? I have no problems with the franchise shifting focus to a woman now that Ford is too old, but I guess I agree with "Disney politics" and don't care if "art is ruined". 

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

I show how I'm not worked up, that I know rumours are rumours and that I'll reserve judgement, I waste my time writing my very reasonable post...and you just circle back to being a reductive bullshitter "Duuuhhh you're very worked up over rumours duuuh" etc.

It's extraordinarily tedious and pathetic. It's hilarious that you think you're smarter than me and morally superior.

But you didn't reserve judgment ;) Your posts in this thread have not been examples of reserving judgment but rather going off on rumours about the latest Indiana Jones movie, rumours that aren't true (at least not for this particular movie), and which wouldn't have been so bad even if they were true (Really, a woman following in Indiana Jones footsteps!?! Ooh, the anger!!)

You did the same thing with the new Tolkien series, I remember. You raged and vented because of rumours that the series would introduce homosexual characters, which turned out to be false (at least so far, but maybe in season 2). Granted, you also raged about them having hired black actors which did turn out to be true, though.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Like I said, it's hilarious that you think you're more intelligent than me and morally superior.

I have never said anything like that nor have I ever thought anything like that. This is all in your head.

Yes, I do believe you display a cognitive flaw by repeatedly being duped by things you watch on Youtube (like false rumours about Indiana Jones) but for most part I think you are quite intelligent. Maybe I just hide my cognitive flaws better, or maybe I am too stupid to realize I am not :lol:. Anyway, I don't think there are any grounds to believe I am more intelligent than you, and I have never thought that or stated it. I have said this to you many times now, yet you keep levelling that accusation on me. Again, this is all in your head.

I also don't think I am morally superior to you. I do find your raging against modern culture a bit disconcerting, but if you remember back, I have always stated that I don't think you are racist, or against women or people who aren't heterosexual. I honestly believe you only vent against these things because you have been duped to take sides in the silly "culture war", and that you are passionate about arts and don't like to see things change just to accommodate shifting cultural sensibilities if it means a corruption of how particular franchises used to be, and then you let your anger get the best of you. So no, I don't think I am morally superior, either. At least, I have no reason to take such a position.

Besides, with a few prominent exceptions, none of us are able to perfectly represent our morals or intelligence through posts on the Internet. Intelligence is so much more than what we bother to type down here in these discussions. Intelligence is so much more than rhetoric and the amount of time we are willing to give. We shouldn't conflate who others are to how they appear through a few posts (or in our cases, a few thousand posts :lol:, but still...) on the Internet. It doesn't display the depth of our personalities. 

So no, I have never thought I am superior to you, and I have absolutely never stated anything like it.  I wish you would stop thinking like this, it is not helpful to either of us. 

7 hours ago, downzy said:

And here you and your goaty friend sit around and complain about the sensitivities of progressive culture and yet you whine and complain that recent films offend your sensitivities.  

Congrats, another thread ruined by your incessant whining about how everyone is out to get white, straight men.  

everyone demands respect these days, but respect is not given it's earned.

deconstructing beloved franchises, calls for "vengeance" and generally holding contempt for white heterosexual males, is not going to earn lots of respect, certainly not by me.

And I'm not the only one with this view. What the "progressive" movements forgets, is that by and large, society does not support them. They can only survive by burning ridiculous amounts of money, leading to flop after hollywood flop. While movies that do not push this propaganda (puss in boots, mario movie) thrive and score millions of revenue. That is reality.

7 hours ago, downzy said:

Congrats, another thread ruined by your incessant whining about how everyone is out to get white, straight men.  

the strenght of a democracy, is the ability of opposing views being discussed. This means, both sides will have to cope with opinions they do not like to read. 

14 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Harrison Ford, and hence Indiana Jones, is an old man now. They need someone younger to accompany him in an adventure/action movie. And yes, this person is a woman. I realize you are outraged about this but you shouldn't be. 

I saw the Han Solo movie, starring a younger actor. I didn't like ir at all!! :angry:   It is not about the actor's age. It was just a horrible movie.  I feel the same way about the Star Wars sequel trilogy.  Disney killed Star Wars!!! Until Filoni y Favreau brought it back to life with  Mandalorian and Star Wars Rebels

Edited by Padme