The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

Sound checks can be used for tons of different purposes. Especially with stadium shows where the dynamics are different at every stop. Think of it like the final dress rehearsal, but not the only time they practice.  The fact that Perhaps has been sound checked means it's in the hopper. Maybe the reason they're no longer sound checking it is because it's good to go.  The lack of it being played shouldn't lead to too much pessimism. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, bmus1 said:

Do we know for sure that soundchecking is the only practice this band does? I'm a little confused why Perhaps not getting soundchecked anymore is a bad sign, especially since I'm sure the band's team is aware someone was able to get a very good instrumental recording of it last month.

Also, Foo Fighters soundchecked the title track from their new album seven times in a row last month, and it still hasn't been performed outside of their first show back in May. Apples to oranges, but using soundchecks as a definitive answer of something happening/not happening feels like a really weak link.

I disagree. But we only have a small sample size to go off of.

Absurd didn’t have any real leaks before it came out. It sort of just happened. 2nd show of the tour.

Hard Skool, we can assume is what a typical release looks like for them- practicing it and fine tuning it every soundcheck until it’s eventual release.

If we assume Hard Skool is how they go about releasing new music, Perhaps has deviated from that. We can theorize X and Y but at the end of the day for why but it’s just ultimately hopium with nothing that can back it- whereas Hard Skool we 100% have knowledge of how it worked.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bmus1 said:

Do we know for sure that soundchecking is the only practice this band does? I'm a little confused why Perhaps not getting soundchecked anymore is a bad sign, especially since I'm sure the band's team is aware someone was able to get a very good instrumental recording of it last month.

Also, Foo Fighters soundchecked the title track from their new album seven times in a row last month, and it still hasn't been performed outside of their first show back in May. Apples to oranges, but using soundchecks as a definitive answer of something happening/not happening feels like a really weak link.

We dont know, and Im pretty sure its not...Why??? Well, we've heard many songs from the older stuff that we didnt hear in any soundcheck, so that's enough proof.

As to when or how do they rehearse???? Dont have the minimum idea

2 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I disagree. But we only have a small sample size to go off of.

Absurd didn’t have any real leaks before it came out. It sort of just happened. 2nd show of the tour.

Hard Skool, we can assume is what a typical release looks like for them- practicing it and fine tuning it every soundcheck until it’s eventual release.

If we assume Hard Skool is how they go about releasing new music, Perhaps has deviated from that. We can theorize X and Y but at the end of the day for why but it’s just ultimately hopium with nothing that can back it- whereas Hard Skool we 100% have knowledge of how it worked.

or maybe there isn't a release pattern when it comes to music released by Axl/Gn'R so maybe in that case the release of HS is at least not 100% relevant and not enough to go by when trying to find out when this next release will take place or why it hasn't happened yet, etc.

could be wrong, just saying it's possible cause we only have 2 releases of single songs from the current lineup and they were somewhat different.

Just now, Rovim said:

or maybe there isn't a release pattern when it comes to music released by Axl/Gn'R so maybe in that case the release of HS is at least not 100% relevant and not enough to go by when trying to find out when this next release will take place or why it hasn't happened yet, etc.

could be wrong, just saying it's possible cause we only have 2 releases of single songs from the current lineup and they were somewhat different.

You could very well be right. I’m just going off of what we know based on the facts right now. It and The General were also removed from the setlist unless that photo was a fake, which would feel like a weird photo to fake.

The plan could've also been to play it live in advance of the single, but realizing they didn't want the first taste to be a live bootleg on YouTube. Hardskool was on the alternates list for over a month and didn't end up getting played til release.

If there's enough optimism in here, we might have a single before 2024!

Edited by bmus1

1 minute ago, 2020_Intensions said:

These ChiDem leftovers were worked on in 2020. In 2021 we got two of them. In Jan '22 and in Oct '22 Slash told us more were coming. It's now approaching Aug '23 and still nothing. Before 2021 the last new release was 2008. There is no rhyme or reason to anything this band does or does not do. Trying to make sense of anything they do or dont do is complete madness and a waste of your own time and sanity. You're searching song titles in streaming apps over and over again, you're contemplating the frequency of appearances in soundchecks, you're scanning through publishing data codes .... And then to top it all off, you get upset or distraught as every Friday comes and goes without anything happening .... 

what is your point, then? that it's pointless to discuss Gn'R in connection to new material and speculate about it? how does you telling others it's a waste of time is contributing more or in any way really to the discussion? the discussion itself seems to upset you enough to comment daily on this shit and in the new album thread.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

Once again - everyone is taking everything way too literally.

Mayhue, first of all, isn’t a band member or a decision maker. When he says “any day now,” some of you for some reason gave it a week’s worth of time and then immediately turned to “Perhaps is canceled! This fucking band, man!”

Relax. It’s coming. Either shortly before the NA tour or right after it starts, like Absurd and Hard Skool. “Any day now” can be 3 weeks from now. Jesus Christ.

I’m not even sure why anyone is clamoring for the song anyway. Perhaps is a piece of shit and it’s just going to take up another slot in a setlist that’s finally starting to get interesting.

I like those chi dem songs! I have no more interest in hearing Mr brownstone live for the 1500th time!

4 hours ago, Axls_Moustache_Rules said:

Does anyone think HS and Absurd really pushed ticket sales? I suppose it's hard to say but I'm doubtful.

It’s not the songs themselves that push ticket sales.

So much promotion is done via social media these days. If you’re a hard rock fan, your phone and social networks likely know that, or you might follow an account like Stereogum or Rolling Stone or something of that ilk. So, once Guns drops Perhaps, there will inevitably be a variety of news articles on it, and in each news article there is a list of tour dates.

So if you’re curious enough to click on the link, you’ll scroll down and read that. And there will be people who say “hey, Guns is playing in Hershey next week. I don’t give a fuck about this new song, but I’d love to hear all the rest of the hits,” and *that’s* what drives ticket sales.

It used to be the tour that promoted the music. Now the music promotes the tour.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

Mayhue, first of all, isn’t a band member or a decision maker. When he says “any day now,” some of you for some reason gave it a week’s worth of time and then immediately turned to “Perhaps is canceled! This fucking band, man!”

Relax. It’s coming. Either shortly before the NA tour or right after it starts, like Absurd and Hard Skool. “Any day now” can be 3 weeks from now. Jesus Christ.

I’m not even sure why anyone is clamoring for the song anyway. Perhaps is a piece of shit and it’s just going to take up another slot in a setlist that’s finally starting to get interesting.

It was easily my most listened song the year it leaked (2019?) and the best song since There was a time and Better.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

any release is better than nothing. I don't think Perhaps is a shit song and I want to hear a proper studio version of it and the changes made to it and also will like to hear Gn'R perform it live.

Edited by Rovim

Just now, riot said:

I like those chi dem songs! I have no more interest in hearing Mr brownstone live for the 1500th time!

I like some of the ChiDem songs too. It’s a good album, actually.

But the best songs made the album. Of all the leftovers, Absurd and Hard Skool were the best. Everything else that we’ve heard from the Village Leaks is dreadful, including Perhaps.

Though again - as much as I don’t like Perhaps, I’ll take it over Atlas Shrugged, which is just an awful song.

16 minutes ago, bmus1 said:

The plan could've also been to play it live in advance of the single, but realizing they didn't want the first taste to be a live bootleg on YouTube. Hardskool was on the alternates list for over a month and didn't end up getting played til release.

If there's enough optimism in here, we might have a single before 2024!

Realizing Axls vocals will ruin any new song which requieres medium range vocals

1 minute ago, betterman said:

It was easily my most listened song the year it leaked (2019?) and the best song since There was a time and Better.

Different strokes for different folks. I’m glad you like it - I’m always happy to hear people discovering music they like.

But Perhaps, Atlas, and State of Grace just aren’t for me. I can’t stand them.

• GNFNR 1

1 minute ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

I like some of the ChiDem songs too. It’s a good album, actually.

But the best songs made the album. Of all the leftovers, Absurd and Hard Skool were the best. Everything else that we’ve heard from the Village Leaks is dreadful, including Perhaps.

Though again - as much as I don’t like Perhaps, I’ll take it over Atlas Shrugged, which is just an awful song.

You really think Absurd is better that Perhaps, State of Grace and Atlas???

Man, there's something wrong with your ears hahahaha just kidding, no offense meant

6 minutes ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

So, your time frame on "any day now" is three weeks and that people who see it as just one week are crazy. Good to get that cleared up. 

Saying "Relax, It’s coming. Either shortly before the NA tour or right after it starts" like it's a done deal is pretty ridiculous. 

People are speculating. And in the absence of anything happening, telling people it's definitely happening in an authoritive voice is as stupid as telling everyone Perhaps is "a piece of shit". 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Alejandro GNR said:

You really think Absurd is better that Perhaps, State of Grace and Atlas???

I do. Absurd has energy. It’s sneering and aggressive, the way It’s So Easy is. It’s got some juice to it - even instrumentally, the riff bangs and the chorus riff is chaotic in all the best ways. Axl sounds like he means it. I think it’s fun.

Perhaps is just a mid tempo, boring, tuneless dirge. No lyrical substance, and more importantly no dynamics. The whole thing just plods along with no discernible difference between the verses and choruses. I mean that chorus just doesn’t do anything. The whole thing goes nowhere. 

State of Grace is also plodding and dull. Especially the verses, which are slow and drag the song down. By the time the song gets to the chorus, I’m already checked out. And even the chorus isn’t that great - it’s just better in comparison to the verses. The production is just some dull late-90s, early 2000s sounding industrial wanna be sound. That said, I won’t criticize the production too much as it will likely be updated with Duff and Slash. But that won’t fix the fact that the song isn’t very good.

And then there’s Atlas Shrugged, which is in a very annoying major key and might be one of my least favorite Guns N’ Roses songs ever. I pray they delete this one.

3 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

So, your time frame on "any day now" is three weeks and that people who see it as just one week are crazy. Good to get that cleared up. 

No. I don’t have a time frame on “any day now” because it means different things to different people in different contexts. I threw out 3 weeks as an example. I just think it’s a bit unreasonable for people to throw their hands up and declare the song canceled just because it didn’t drop this Friday because for some reason they assumed that “any day now” meant this Friday.

5 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Saying "Relax, It’s coming. Either shortly before the NA tour or right after it starts" like it's a done deal is pretty ridiculous. 

People are speculating. And in the absence of anything happening, telling people it's definitely happening in an authoritive voice is as stupid as telling everyone Perhaps is "a piece of shit". 

Oh knock it off with this bullshit about authoritative voice. I’m not an authority. I’m not Axl Rose or in the band or on the management team. I have no connection to the band. I’m just a fan from DC, and this is the only fandom that requires qualifiers like that. It’s a message board about a rock band. Everything I type is just my opinion, and I don’t have to clarify that every time just to make you feel better. If I say it’ll drop before the NA tour, it’s just my best guess. If I say Perhaps is a piece of shit, then obviously that’s just my opinion. You shouldn’t need me to clarify that. If you don’t get that, then *perhaps* the internet just isn’t for you.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Rovim said:

what is your point, then? that it's pointless to discuss Gn'R in connection to new material and speculate about it? how does you telling others it's a waste of time is contributing more or in any way really to the discussion? the discussion itself seems to upset you enough to comment daily on this shit and in the new album thread.

I guess my point is for a group of people that so desperately want validation and the ear of this band, ya'll act like total psychos and freaks with the obsessive behavior I described above.