The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

13 minutes ago, mystery said:

I think the reason for this is band shirts being much more available than back in the day in places like Walmart, Kohl's, Target, Old Navy, H&M etc., back in the day you'd most likely have to go to a show or order a shirt through a catalog. 

Band shirts and logos are meant to be fashionable and eye-catching and I imagine most bands are cool either way since its advertising and they're likely making money off it.

Yeah definitely that. 

I saw six Nirvana shirts the other morning and one Nirvana shopping bag, within about an hour. 

Difficult to see Kurt being thrilled by that though! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Slugworth said:

You could buy band shirts and posters at the mall back in the day.

One of the main differences between now and then is people were far less judgmental back then.

In 1991 guys would've wanted to fuck this woman in the GNR shirt who can't recite the TSI track list in her sleep. Today guys want to crucify or shoot her.   :shrugs:

You could, but you definitely had to seek them out. At the moment they're racked up next the socks and the swimsuits in the supermarket. 

I'd say people were more severe though in some ways. If you'd turned up to school in a Metallica shirt and didn't know any of their songs, you'd have been mocked unmercifully! 

20 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

You could, but you definitely had to seek them out. At the moment they're racked up next the socks and the swimsuits in the supermarket. 

I'd say people were more severe though in some ways. If you'd turned up to school in a Metallica shirt and didn't know any of their songs, you'd have been mocked unmercifully! 

Oh yeah I remember the Metallica thing in high school. You were a hipster doofus poseur if you bought a Metallica shirt after the One video was released. :tongue2:

Those types had their moment in the sun but once the Black album exploded and even the cheerleaders and nerds were off to never never land, those types either blended in or faded into the background. The more likely scenario is they were on the verge of buying a Nirvana shirt while claiming they liked them from the start.

Remember though, a lot of this stuff was more light hearted back then. The serious business of the internet/social media didn't exist yet(thank God), and that pretty much warped everything.

Fandom was a lot different back then. Music had a more dominant role in pop culture. It's probably why a much higher percentage of concert crowds back then were hardcore fans. Even 14-16 year old girls were in Slayer mosh pits! I doubt it would be anything like that today.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

“Such people” meaning “most people under 40.”

Sometimes a band shirt just looks cool. I hate the fucking Grateful Dead, but they have a badass logo and band name.

Admire the logo from a far then. Unless you can name 5 songs. then even if you don't like them, i'll allow the wearing of the shirt

11 hours ago, Slugworth said:

That woman being mocked represents the majority of the crowd. I can see why TB ditched the forums for the casual crowds on social media.

Lol i dont think a woman who wasn't really aware that GnR are a band make up the majority of the crowd at gigs. I've been to lots of the gigs, the crowd knows all the hits. not just the big 2/3. I don't think 70k people in every european city are paying £100-£200 per ticket because they like the image of the celtic cross they got from their local fashion store. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Billy Cundy said:

Get onboard with the Dead man, fucking amazing band. 

GD and GNR (and JGB too actually) are all listed back to back in my iTunes! Stevie has had stealies on his drum kit before, and Axl has talked about being a metal head hippie kid in Indiana - I love me some 77 and 89 shows.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Yeah definitely that. 

I saw six Nirvana shirts the other morning and one Nirvana shopping bag, within about an hour. 

Difficult to see Kurt being thrilled by that though! 

To quote recent interview with Krist Novoselic from Nirvana: "I'm in the t-shirt selling business now".

• Haha 2

On 9/2/2023 at 10:47 AM, JimiRose said:

Lol i dont think a woman who wasn't really aware that GnR are a band make up the majority of the crowd at gigs. I've been to lots of the gigs, the crowd knows all the hits. not just the big 2/3. I don't think 70k people in every european city are paying £100-£200 per ticket because they like the image of the celtic cross they got from their local fashion store. 

Really? 

I mean, I don't believe that people would pay it either....but honestly, I was shocked this tour that it did seem to be the case and lots of people said the same on here about a lot of the Europe shows this time round. 

On 9/2/2023 at 11:46 AM, Billy Cundy said:

Get onboard with the Dead man, fucking amazing band. 

Give us a good starting point? 

28 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Did he say that? Interesting that he's commenting on it! 

Here's the exact quote:

"...lots of it is an incredible luxury as far as I'm concerned, because I'm like, with Nirvana- I'm in the t-shirt business."

Here's the full interview if you're interested, that part is around 14 min.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

Probably good to start with Blues for Allah. Shakedown street is a great album, as is Terrapin station. Even the 80s stuff like Built To Last has some amazing tracks. 

I love Bob Weir’s voice so tend to lean towards his stuff, though obviously a big Garcia fan. Touch of Grey is one of my fave tracks (their biggest hit). There’s soooo much stuff. Garcia’s solo stuff is worth a listen too. 

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

Really? 

I mean, I don't believe that people would pay it either....but honestly, I was shocked this tour that it did seem to be the case and lots of people said the same on here about a lot of the Europe shows this time round. 

I think the argument about fans being that casual at gigs falls short because there are soooo many bands playing stadiums arenas, halls, pubs etc every day at big cost. especially in big cities like london. The casuals at GnR gigs are most likely partners of big GnR fans or close friends with a superfan. I doubt there are groups of 2/3 friends going who aren't even aware of any gnr songs, spending £200 plus across the event. 

Hopefully not going too far off topic here, but AC/DC are strongly rumoured to be playing the halftime show at the next Superbowl (in Las Vegas)

The question is - if they do, will they invite their old mate Axl to the party (i.e. for a cameo)?

Or should they? It would be good promo for any new GnR product but... could Axl bring it like he did in 2016?

Either way, as long as AC/DC play Sin City - and the Bills lift the Lombardi at last - I'll be content.

(C'mon - there's more chance of either happening than an Axl/DC revival!)

19 minutes ago, Billy Cundy said:

Probably good to start with Blues for Allah. Shakedown street is a great album, as is Terrapin station. Even the 80s stuff like Built To Last has some amazing tracks. 

I love Bob Weir’s voice so tend to lean towards his stuff, though obviously a big Garcia fan. Touch of Grey is one of my fave tracks (their biggest hit). There’s soooo much stuff. Garcia’s solo stuff is worth a listen too. 

Blues for Allah as the starting point? Seriously? I find it one of their weirdest albums (and I love it for it). I'd just start with American Beauty and Working Man's Dead, both amazing and full of classics (FotD, Brokedown Palace, Casey Jones, Uncle John's Band, Ripple, Box of Rain etc)

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Billy Cundy said:

Great thanks. I will have a listen as been meaning to listen to The Grateful Dead for years but never have, weirdly. 

Thanks for the tips! 

51 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

I think the argument about fans being that casual at gigs falls short because there are soooo many bands playing stadiums arenas, halls, pubs etc every day at big cost. especially in big cities like london. The casuals at GnR gigs are most likely partners of big GnR fans or close friends with a superfan. I doubt there are groups of 2/3 friends going who aren't even aware of any gnr songs, spending £200 plus across the event. 

I think that is the problem though in a way- it's become 'tick that box' stuff for people with big wallets. 

As I said, I was shocked this tour. Seen it growing for years, but it was quite ridiculous. I've heard people say on here that the crowds are actually more into outside the pit (which again, seems odd) and I've always done pit so maybe that has something to do with it. 

1 hour ago, Sausagebrain said:

Hopefully not going too far off topic here, but AC/DC are strongly rumoured to be playing the halftime show at the next Superbowl (in Las Vegas)

The question is - if they do, will they invite their old mate Axl to the party (i.e. for a cameo)?

Or should they? It would be good promo for any new GnR product but... could Axl bring it like he did in 2016?

Either way, as long as AC/DC play Sin City - and the Bills lift the Lombardi at last - I'll be content.

(C'mon - there's more chance of either happening than an Axl/DC revival!)

I see less than 0 per cent chances of that happening with Brian back on board - who was less than happy with the whole Axl/DC run.

Also, AC/DC have never been too prone to guest spots on their shows to begin with, nor are they known to keep in touch with people who once played with or for the band.

• Wow 1