The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

31 minutes ago, Rindmelon said:

Those of you who remember who SP1at is may find this interesting.

Prior to all the lawsuit stuff, the latest from GN'R was all positive. There is new, the beginnings of new GN'R material that is not related to CD, there. There was also wording that some historic older material was possible. Slash is expecting this later next year. I asked though about his previous assertions that there was an album for all the post CD material that had been release, and there was no response. So, I don't know.

Yeah but this is like sort of a typical forum stuff. What are this guy’s credentials? He may have been right about something in the past, but where exactly is this coming from? Has he really talked with Slash personally? Where? How do we know it’s true and he’s not just yet another fake insider? He’s not saying anything different that I haven’t said here several times myself – old material, CD material, possibly some new material – ideally. 
So I’m taking this with a mountain of salt for now. 

2 hours ago, Rindmelon said:

Those of you who remember who SP1at is may find this interesting.

Prior to all the lawsuit stuff, the latest from GN'R was all positive. There is new, the beginnings of new GN'R material that is not related to CD, there. There was also wording that some historic older material was possible. Slash is expecting this later next year. I asked though about his previous assertions that there was an album for all the post CD material that had been release, and there was no response. So, I don't know.

If I understand correctly, this means there is a beggining work on new material, and possibly some older material, which my thoughts go into the CD sessions could be expected to be released with this new material.

This could probably mean that some CD songs that have been reworked such as Monsters could fit into the new material.

My thoughts are that Slash when he first talk about reworking the CD songs said that they will keep releasing them until there was a full album, could this new information mean that some reworked songs have been saved for a future release, this also explains why songs like Oklahoma, Seven, State Of Grace have not appeared yet.

Could this maybe mean that the best songs of the CD era have been saved, the general consensous is that The General is not a great song as Monsters is, so maybe some of the ones I've said before would appear later

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Dani_1455 said:

If I understand correctly, this means there is a beggining work on new material, and possibly some older material, which my thoughts go into the CD sessions could be expected to be released with this new material.

This could probably mean that some CD songs that have been reworked such as Monsters could fit into the new material.

My thoughts are that Slash when he first talk about reworking the CD songs said that they will keep releasing them until there was a full album, could this new information mean that some reworked songs have been saved for a future release, this also explains why songs like Oklahoma, Seven, State Of Grace have not appeared yet.

Could this maybe mean that the best songs of the CD era have been saved, the general consensous is that The General is not a great song as Monsters is, so maybe some of the ones I've said before would appear later

It's not clear from the wording if they have started working on new material, if there's a concrete plan to start working or they'll just start "looking very seriously at what they're doing in that regard" at some point next year.

I think it's more likely that the "historic older material" is from the mid-90s than from the CD sessions. In addition to what was said at the time and what Axl said, Tommy and Richard have confirmed that such material exists.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Rindmelon said:

I have asked for clarification on what he means by that, as his wording is strange.

Yes, it's not clear. Let's hope he clarifies.

But since he mentioned "new GN'R material that is not related to CD", I take that the "historic old material" is not related to CD either. Maybe it's in reference to the mid-90's sessions or it just means an archival release, e.g. live material from AFD/UYI eras.

• Like 3

It was a totally different time and they're all different people now, but in light of the recent developments I wonder if they're having deja vu's from 1993-94. They had completed a long tour and the plan was, after getting some rest, to start working on new music - meanwhile, they released a covers album and intended to also release a documentary and an official biography. Then Axl was sued by Stephanie and Erin, and it all went to hell.

Now Axl has not been sued by an ex, but about something that happened years ago (and he probably doesn't even remember). And the other factors that caused the band to fall apart then (contractual stuff, power plays, third party involvement, musical differences, drugs, serious mental problems) seem to be non issues now. So the main question is whether and how much the current lawsuits are affecting Axl - and, even more importantly, what, if anything, is left from his creativity and if there's a drive to create (regardless of lawsuits etc.).

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

I hope we get a new album, I hope the CD remakes find an eventual release to live together on, and I hope the songs grouped together doesn't sound like a random hodgepodge of material.

IMO with the right producer and mixing, all 3 of those things could happen on one record.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dani_1455 said:

I understood it as something completely separate to the Chinese material. If anything maybe they are going back to the 1995/96 sessions? Personally I think they should just cut away from all the old demos etc. and write from scratch, even if it's not their most inspired work I think it will be ultimately better than whatever is laying about... Not saying there couldn't be a missing gem, I just doubt it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I asked him (since I saw you deleted yours) and he responded:

"Slash said, they have new songs, and he's hoping for a GN'R album late next year, and they have also worked on older songs, no details on that. Separately, on another day maybe a month later, he was asked about his comments album releasing an album with the current songs, and that received no comment."

I guess the key word here is "hoping".

I think the "They have new songs and have also worked on older songs" it's the most interesting part, older songs must be what you've told me before, but he is using the paste tense so they already have done this, it's not something that they will be doing, it's already done I suppose

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bmus1 said:

I hope we get a new album, I hope the CD remakes find an eventual release to live together on, and I hope the songs grouped together doesn't sound like a random hodgepodge of material.

IMO with the right producer and mixing, all 3 of those things could happen on one record.

No way there's a new album that includes the already released material beside brand new Axl/Slash/Duff collaborations. Two separate records IMO.

I could see those songs being included on an extended edition, bonus CD. We're a while off getting a new album though, still rumours and nothing concrete from the band outside of a few wishful comments 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dani_1455 said:

I think the "They have new songs and have also worked on older songs" it's the most interesting part, older songs must be what you've told me before, but he is using the paste tense so they already have done this, it's not something that they will be doing, it's already done I suppose

Missed that part, I'm hopeful there's something to all of it! It is well time that they put a record out and got people excited. Astonishing that a band as big as GNR, can release a new song and fans of the band don't know it's out. 

Whatever the f... They do, they need to completely rethink how they release music. This in the dark of night tactic, is insanity. 

8 minutes ago, Dani_1455 said:

Yes, the wording in the response is different from the wording in his original post.

26 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I asked him (since I saw you deleted yours) and he responded:

"Slash said, they have new songs, and he's hoping for a GN'R album late next year, and they have also worked on older songs, no details on that. Separately, on another day maybe a month later, he was asked about his comments album releasing an album with the current songs, and that received no comment."

I guess the key word here is "hoping".

It just seems odd as that isn't how he writes normally. Based off the reaction this has gotten I probably shouldn't have posted it. I know he had a site where he interviewed and had access to a lot of people who worked on CD but that was a very long time ago now.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Rindmelon said:

It just seems odd as that isn't how he writes normally. Based off the reaction this has gotten I probably shouldn't have posted it. I know he had a site where he interviewed and had access to a lot of people who worked on CD but that was a very long time ago now.

Yes, he had access to those people then, but he doesn't seem to have any access to the Axl camp now.

He does seem to have some access to the Slash camp though, but it's unknown how close to Slash his source is and how informed they are. And whoever that person is, they're at not at liberty to say much more than what Slash himself says in public.

• Like 3

I wonder if "historic older material was possible" is a reference to songs that currently have no indication of a NITL re-work, like Berlin, Seven, Zodiac 13, etc.? But those of course are CD-era. 

I doubt they are going to scrap the half or more of CD2 that they have not released as reworked songs in favor of actual new material.

Maybe the next album will be a hybrid. I'd love that, release the best of the CD vault with however many new songs they can write. 

3 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I wonder if "historic older material was possible" is a reference to songs that currently have no indication of a NITL re-work, like Berlin, Seven, Zodiac 13, etc.? But those of course are CD-era. 

I doubt they are going to scrap the half or more of CD2 that they have not released as reworked songs in favor of actual new material.

Maybe the next album will be a hybrid. I'd love that, release the best of the CD vault with however many new songs they can write. 

Every album they have done is a hybrid.

AFD had songs on from Hollywood Rose. UYI had songs on from AFD days and even earlier (Back Off Bitch). Even Chinese had a song on that dated to the UYI days.

I think it's unrealistic to think they can do a whole new album from scratch of new material because they never really have. I don't see that happening at this stage at all, so if there is an album (& I doubt there will be) then It would seem likely made up of a few new songs, a few CD era, and maybe even older stuff.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

He does seem to have some access to the Slash camp though, but it's unknown how close to Slash his source is and how informed they are. And whoever that person is, they're at not at liberty to say much more than what Slash himself says in public.

I think he has one or more Universal contact as well. He seems to be or was a player in the industry at one point, seeing how they even bother to respond to him.

1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

I think he has one or more Universal contact as well. He seems to be or was a player in the industry at one point, seeing how they even bother to respond to him.

He was a promoter in the 90's mainly Australian and British bands I believe, but yeah he had contacts which he obviously used when he had his website. A lot of the interviews with engineers from CD era like Dave Dominguez ect came from him.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Wabby said:

This 100%, everyone that cries thinking that every song the band did before 1994 was just a group collaboration and that nothing that Axl did after Slash and Duff left is worth revisiting is just dumb. Sure it will be great for them to come up with some great new stuff since NITL, but hopefully they just put out the best material that is available “IF” there ever is a new album whether that something completely new or Seven, Zodiac, Etc

& don't forget the covers, you know there would be one or two on there to fill it out, probably Lineman at least.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Rindmelon said:

& don't forget the covers, you know there would be one or two on there to fill it out, probably Lineman at least.

I don't see how we can "know" such a thing, but maybe I'm being too literal. Chinese didn't contain any covers. They don't need to include it on a potential album, they can release it on its own in digital form and maybe they have more/will have more than enough material for one album of 10 to 14 tracks.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I don't see how we can "know" such a thing, but maybe I'm being too literal. Chinese didn't contain any covers. They don't need to include it on a potential album, they can release it on its own in digital form and maybe they have more/will have more than enough material for one album of 10 to 14 tracks.

Yes your being too literal.