06/24/23 - Pilton, GB - Glastonbury Festival **TIMES & STREAM INFO IN FIRST POST**

alfierose

7 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I'm sorry to say it, but the sound engineer is not to blame. It's been like this for a while at shows. When Axl goes for his falsetto/mix he loses all power and drops below the band. It would literally be one persons job to ride the gain/volume controls up and down multiple times throughout every song all night in order for Axl to be heard consistently. When he sings in his lower register or belts like in LALD the vocal returns to the mix. It's 100% a projection issue. The sound engineers hands are tied, you can only do so much when the source is giving you a weak signal. The other option is max out the gain and have feedback all night. Other option is too lower the volume of the rest of the band and have every thing sound weak.

Hopefully some of these comments make it back to management, but I have seen these comments before for other bands and the singers 9/10 blame the engineer. I mentioned this a few days about seeing Hall and Oates where Daryl was singing light like Axl dropping below the band, Daryl heard the front row saying they couldn't hear him so he asks the engineer to turn him up. Then for the rest of the gig is was the job of the engineer and monitor engineer to keep the system from feedbacking and you still could barely hear him sometimes. I guarantee the engineer was doing everything that could be done for GNR here.

From the phone clip I heard the band mix sounded incredible the drums sound so much better!

I was out while the gig was on so I haven't seen this performance yet, but the reviews seem to be consistent that Axls voice was dropping in and out and hard to hear.

Nothing that cannot be repaired, but he has to first of all acknowledge he needs some work, and then he has to do the work. He can definitely at the minimum get his mickey voice sounding powerful again.

This is 100% the truth and reality. When axl went into his strong ranges he was clear as day, as soon as he was weak he lost all sound. that was just him no longer being able to sing. it just is what it is now sadly. the mix of the band was perfect 

6 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Are you still ranting on about this?🤣 

Listen to the broadcast. Axl is absolutely beaming that they are playing Glastonbury. He thought it was a big deal. You don't have to though😄

I know I almost spit out my drink😄

Exactly....I've never seen him genuinely so chuffed to be in a field! He also kept thanking them "for having us" multiple times. He's more happy than a Glasto cow on Monday!!

Edited by colonizedmind
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Overall amazing effort and energy. A good live performance, not note for note perfect from slash but it's live it's real, that's fine. The reviews (bar one) all seem to just accept Axl cannot sing anymore and judge the performance separately which i think is a miracle and very fair actually. they could have just gone in and said how can a headline act have a singer that can't sing? but they all mentioned it but put it under the carpet quickly and said his age and energy and history mean it's ok. They did cut a lot of filler from the set, and aside from playing jungle first which they should have done, it was probably the best type of set for Glastonbury they could have chosen.

Overall I don't think this set will win them any new fans, but it will probably nostalgically remind older fans why they loved GnR in the first place. Maybe Axl will come out to play with Elton John tonight? Unlikely but who knows...

7 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

Get your headphones in and listen...much cleaner vocals. (At least so far)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001n9cf?partner=uk.co.bbc&origin=share-mobile

WOW! 

I've given up on Axl's vocals for the past 5 years or so. But I've just listened through the whole thing and I enjoyed every second of it. His voice, the band, the setlist and the crowd being so in to it as well. 

In terms of his voice there are so many highlights in here and even what's usually the low points are very passable. 

It's now become my side project to get tickets for a Europe gig this summer :headbang: 

5 minutes ago, Guns n' Swedes said:

WOW! 

I've given up on Axl's vocals for the past 5 years or so. But I've just listened through the whole thing and I enjoyed every second of it. His voice, the band, the setlist and the crowd being so in to it as well. 

In terms of his voice there are so many highlights in here and even what's usually the low points are very passable. 

It's now become my side project to get tickets for a Europe gig this summer :headbang: 

Yep...someone needs to put that audio over the UHD footage...

Did you see the footage? Man ran more last night than he has the other 7 dates this tour combined...and that's not actually an exaggeration...as he normally does the fast walkmthese days but he genuinely seemed to be knowing that this is going out to a huge music audience, his hero is doing his last tomorrow (today) and he gave a very rare performance. I wish they were fucking playing Glasto every night....let's be honest, we need to enjoy this, that will undoubtedly be gig of the tour! Overall.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

Yep...someone needs to put that audio over the UHD footage...

Did you see the footage? Man ran more last night than he has the other 7 dates this tour combined...and that's not actually an exaggeration...as he normally does the fast walkmthese days but he genuinely seemed to be knowing that this is going out to a huge music audience, his hero is doing his last tomorrow (today) and he gave a very rare performance. I wish they were fucking playing Glasto every night....let's be honest, we need to enjoy this, that will undoubtedly be gig of the tour! Overall.

No, didnt see the footage yet. It’s really impressive, and especially so when you take all that running in to account…in addition to being over 60 years of age!

I had given up on current Axl, so it was really amazing to hear this. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heather14 said:

This is a pretty decent review for British media.

Great review!!! 

It's so much better than we were probably expecting a few weeks ago. Twitter is much more positive than AM Friday....the negative folk on here saying we were getting too hyped and excited are in hiding too...

We know his vocal capability now but that absolutely was a night for the ages and anyone thinking he could of given more at 61 is probably not a realist. We were right to be pumped...now if only they'd put something out right about NOW!!!

https://amp.theguardian.com/music/2023/jun/25/guns-n-roses-at-glastonbury-review-pyramid-stage

Edited by colonizedmind
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

Just for people wondering about the power of glasto - The GnR review is currently the number 1 most read article on the bbc news website https://www.bbc.co.uk/news 

Also live commentary of the show https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/entertainment-arts-66008081

https://ibb.co/6tCKMR9

Yep! #1

"Wows Glasto" and negativity about Lana and Calpaldi....have we landed in the multiverse or something? I guess people appreciate a trier! 

Edited by colonizedmind
  • Like 2

Guns N Roses are #1 uk twitter trend atm and Axl Rose is #5. November rain is 17! Obviously it's the usual mix of opinions but there's enough positivity. The amount Axl ran seems to be the most positive thing, especially when most acts stand in the same spot, i know we expect him to run 15km a show, but the general public wont see that from 99.99% of other artists

• Like 2

After only seeing some rather iffy performances via youtube in the past year or so, I was really pleastantly surprised on how good their set was last night, of course not a perfect performance by any means, but as others have said, Axl is over 60 now.....

• Like 1