The 'you're crazy' style of gnr songs

GNR has a few types of songs in its catalogue. It strikes me that one style is the short, super fast metal song. This is actually a bit different from the more melodic, groove orientated songs they do.

So in this style I'm thinking you're crazy (appetite version), nice boys, reckless life, shadow of your love, perfect crime, garden of Eden, maybe eventually absurd.

What influenced them to play this kind of metal? It seems quite different from, say, their Aerosmith and rolling stones influences. And was this style of metal common in la in the early 80s? 

Ramones, Stooges, Led Zeppelin? who knows? Maybe just the content of the lyrics? Some crazy ass speeding song? I bet this song was just wrote in a few days without sitting for years to work out fine and complicated chord progression. Just hard and fast.

Yes speed metal was popular in LA in the early 80s. You had Megadeth and Metallica (they started in LA) and I’m sure there were a shitload of others. I wasn’t there but Slash not only grew up on Aerosmith but also Maiden and Priest too. 

It’s more about the early 80s LA music scene being influenced by the fast paced hardcore/punk sound of the time, they were listening to a lot of punk stuff and cranking the tempo / energy, with some metal infusion, hence songs like Reckless, Shadow, Nice Boys etc. 

fast Crazy obviously had a slightly different emergence as it began as them jamming around The Seeker by The Who, then creating their own song from that on acoustic (slow Crazy) then turbo-ing it into fast Crazy because of aforementioned punk / metal influences.

These "short, fast and crazy" songs are my least favourite of their catalog, not counting My World and Absurd. To me, they feel really dated and not in a good way, I dunno. Love You're Crazy Lies versions, though. Love it.

• Like 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

3 hours ago, SlashisGOD said:

Yes speed metal was popular in LA in the early 80s. You had Megadeth and Metallica (they started in LA) and I’m sure there were a shitload of others. I wasn’t there but Slash not only grew up on Aerosmith but also Maiden and Priest too. 

Do you think these kind of songs could be called speed metal? I'm not sure of the genre.

Also did gnr start with this style of music in Hollywood rose? And then evolve into the appetite style? Or did the speed metal coexist with the appetite hard rock style? 

Edited by axl666

18 hours ago, Cosmo said:

These "short, fast and crazy" songs are my least favourite of their catalog, not counting My World and Absurd. To me, they feel really dated and not in a good way, I dunno. Love You're Crazy Lies versions, though. Love it.

I used to feel the same, but now I dig these fast songs a lot. They have this cool punk-ish vibe to them. Funnily enough it was Absurd that made me appreciate them more :lol:

They are a fun way to cleanse your palate between the epic ballads and the groovy rockers :headbang:

Edited by jekylhyde
  • Like 1