When did Richard take over the November Rain solo from Robin?

Here's a tough question. I would like to know when Robin stopped playing the first solo of November Rain and Richard started playing it. Ideally down to the exact show, but I would also be happy just to know what year this happened. Anyone got such control over the live shows?

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Here's a tough question. I would like to know when Robin stopped playing the first solo of November Rain and Richard started playing it. Ideally down to the exact show, but I would also be happy just to know what year this happened. Anyone got such control over the live shows?

Now I looked on YouTube and Richard played solo on every show in 2006 that i found (Hammerstein 1st night and 17th May, Lisboa, Dublin, KROQ Inland Invasion, etc.).

Edited by We love Axl Rose
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Slash will very rarely play a decent solo on TWAT or TIL, but the vast majority of his CD solos have been shit. At the very least they should let Richard do the solos on TWAT and the full solo on Street Of Dreams.

Nobody goes to a gnr concert to hear Richard Fortus play guitar solos. 

What a friggin joke!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DK6 said:

What a friggin joke!

In a 3 hour show, why not? His solos on KOHD are nice, he was as good or better than Slash on Wish You Were Here, and his solos on CD and SOD are much better than Slash's.

Sorry I don't just want to stand there going "OMG it's Slash, what an icon!!! Everything he touches is gold, I love Sweet Child O Mine and Guitar Hero!!!!!!" it's pretty obvious that Slash's playing is hit or miss these days.

If Fortus sounds better on the CD solos then he should play the CD solos, Slash still gets plenty of spotlights throughout the show :shrugs:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DK6 said:

What a friggin joke!

I'd much rather have Fortus play the TIL and TWAT solos than Slash. No disrespect to Slash but he noodles a lot over the CD songs and it's really hit or miss, especially if it's a Buckethead solo.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gabmmor said:

November 24th, 2002 - Cleveland, OH

Ah, so Fortus only played it for the 2nd half the tour. Columbus (the show after Cleveland) is the 2002 show I've watched and listened to the most, and I know Fortus played it at that show. Just looked up the video for Chicago 2002 and yea it's Robin playing the first solo. Thanks for clarifying.

7 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

In a 3 hour show, why not? His solos on KOHD are nice, he was as good or better than Slash on Wish You Were Here, and his solos on CD and SOD are much better than Slash's.

Sorry I don't just want to stand there going "OMG it's Slash, what an icon!!! Everything he touches is gold, I love Sweet Child O Mine and Guitar Hero!!!!!!" it's pretty obvious that Slash's playing is hit or miss these days.

If Fortus sounds better on the CD solos then he should play the CD solos, Slash still gets plenty of spotlights throughout the show :shrugs:

Sorry mate i just really don't rate his playing at all.

I feel like he has no originality.

One pf the highlights of this version of gnr for me has been hearing slashs take on the cd songs.

I've never understood people wanting note for note versions of songs live - put a cd on and turn it up loud if that's what you're after!

11 hours ago, DK6 said:

One pf the highlights of this version of gnr for me has been hearing slashs take on the cd songs.

I've never understood people wanting note for note versions of songs live - put a cd on and turn it up loud if that's what you're after!

Couldn't disagree more. It's not about playing note for note, just playing a good solo that fits the song, and Slash rarely does that on CD songs. Fortus sounds great on the few solos he plays though.

• Like 2

On 7/16/2023 at 9:25 PM, SlashisGOD said:

I don’t mind Slash’s takes at all. He does his thing and usually they fit the song.

Funny, cause many of us New-GNR fans also didn't mind Robin's takes on Slash's solos at all. But AFD fans were super annoyed. just saying hehe. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, DK6 said:

Not even Bumblefoot played note for note. Thing is - it feels like he just doesn't give a shit about these songs. It's like he doesn't even try, every time he plays the TWAT solo, it feels like he's improvising, but in a bad way like he didn't take the time to learn it and is just going with the flow. 

Don't get me wrong, I love improv solos - I'm a huge fan of heavy psych and 11-min stoner rock songs but you gotta do it well - learn the key parts and improvise their bridges

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Cosmo said:

Not even Bumblefoot played note for note. Thing is - it feels like he just doesn't give a shit about these songs. It's like he doesn't even try, every time he plays the TWAT solo, it feels like he's improvising, but in a bad way like he didn't take the time to learn it and is just going with the flow. 

I don't blame Slash in his disconnect with the CD songs (although he seem to have one or two favorites)

It's definitely evident after all these years and he's not interested. Alright, then why not giving the job to Richard for these. This boggles my mind.

• Like 3