Perhaps - New Guns N' Roses Single - Discussion

15 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

So "GNR have era defining music like Sweet Child and NR which if used in a creative way could give them a moment...it's not impossible, it happened for at least 2 massive 80s artists last year....Continued dominance and relavance in the new era, nope...styles and music move on...but most of all, even if Slash wrote a new riff on a par with SC and Axl sang like the 80s, they'd still look as they do now, respectable but old it for sure will at least be top3 if notdudes...and image, as we know, is everything! If Andy when they drop a new album, depending on the week,  #1 for week if marketed properly ...

They did that last year with Thor Love and thunder ;)

17 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

So "Perhaps" should clear the 3 million mark (and therefore overtake Absurd) by the middle of next week....she's got a long way to the top if she wants to catch November at the 2 Billion summit!! (Still mindboggling that - most watched music video pre 2000 by far!) 

So yea, it's a minor little success this tune...both in traction and hear say....and I for one have with others been enjoying this moment and spreading it and having good vibes with it ...of course i'm not on planet Zoria thinking GNR are due an 80s or 90s comeback round the corner like the folk @2000intentionslaments about. That would just be silly. However this is a better patch for the band than recent years and that's something to be a little happy about. If General lives even half up to the mythical great song it has become on the intersphere...it'll of been an amazing year GNR standards wise. The truth is, if Axl cared, rather we...or those that want this "mainstream...." "Back on top..." And the band at great management, they could have a minor moment back in the spotlight and on the tip of everyone's tongue...sure it's possible ...How many 10-21 year olds knew who reclusive Kate Bush was last year or even much about Metallica? Catching on to a big show, film or even advert that becomes omipresent in popculture can make an oldie relevant again...80s culture thanks to shows like Stranger Things, films like Ready Player One and all the nostalgic sit-coms (Goldberg's, YS, etc) help make it have a big comeback years ago and is still strong....GNR have era defining music like Sweet Child and NR which if used in a creative way could give them a moment...it's not impossible, it happened for at least 2 massive 80s artists last year....Continued dominance and relavance in the new era, nope...styles and music move on...but most of all, even if Slash wrote a new riff on a par with SC and Axl sang like the 80s, they'd still look as they do now, respectable but old dudes...and image, as we know, is everything! If Andy when they drop a new album, depending on the week, it for sure will at least be top3 if not #1 for week if marketed properly ...

I think Perhaps after a month released Will hit the 5 Million Mark or would be so close to It, that means a sucess release compared to Hardskool and Absurd (which is not so difficult)

• Like 1
  • PERHAPS 1

I think Perhaps has done well all things considered. Barring some notable exceptions, classic rock isn't exactly setting the world on fire in a big way and it's like Alice Cooper said, bands basically put stuff out for themselves and the fans that follow them. Deep Purple have put out a ton of albums over the years but they've never had the same impact as Machine Head or Burn. I think the days of GN'R being able to really have a huge radio hit are long gone (would love to be wrong though!) and the last chance was the 2000s. 

Whilst it's nice to see my favourite bands do really well, so long as they're ticking along, putting great music out and doing great shows I'm happy. Often my complaint is that there isn't enough new/recent stuff in bands' setlists (Deep Purple would be an example of that) but I get why they are cautious about doing it. Having said that, I do really dig it when people like Bob Dylan and Robert Plant focus on more recent stuff. 

Edited by Seb91
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, rudolf1978 said:

A few questions...

The vocals are from early 00s to chinese democracy era?

The guitars are new? Or just the solos

What have been rerecorded?

For me this song its way better thand Hard skool and absurd . I give the song 7/10. Good song great vocals.

Some say the vocals are different from the leak, some say it's the same take only with effects added. Axl could have recorded them anytime between 2000 and this year, especially the "new" low ones in the chorus. I don't think there is any way to ever know 100% what has been rerecorded and what hasn't. But Slashs solo is definitely new obviously.

I don't think it really matters from when the vocals are from, if they are good, use them.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Some say the vocals are different from the leak, some say it's the same take only with effects added. Axl could have recorded them anytime between 2000 and this year, especially the "new" low ones in the chorus. I don't think there is any way to ever know 100% what has been rerecorded and what hasn't. But Slashs solo is definitely new obviously.

I don't think it really matters from when the vocals are from, if they are good, use them.

The main vocals are identical except for the very ending to the song. Then the chorus now contains a new dark vocal track, but it might just have been mixed higher and been there before.

• Like 1

If you really turn up the volume on the Village leak, you can hear low vocals there. Pretty sure there are no new vocals on this, but everything instrumentally is different. Likely that the Brain drums are from the ChiDem era and obviously Slash and Duff parts are new. 

13 minutes ago, Amir said:

If you really turn up the volume on the Village leak, you can hear low vocals there. Pretty sure there are no new vocals on this, but everything instrumentally is different. Likely that the Brain drums are from the ChiDem era and obviously Slash and Duff parts are new. 

The very ending is definitely different and it doesn't sound like it has been just tweaked that way.

• Like 1

in my opinion it doesn't matter if the movie was good or awful. It grossed 800+ millions, so that means many people saw it. for example, my 2 sons became gnr fans just for listen to the songs in the movie (although they listened to them 1000 times before while I played them in the car, at home, etc)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

The very ending is definitely different and it doesn't sound like it has been just tweaked that way.

Wow, good catch, didn’t notice that extended “alone”. Could still be tweaked, or maybe another take from that time.

4 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

That instrumental that I posted....take that and the new song and ask your software to remove that part leaving the vocals....would then be easier to compare leak to those vocals? A.i can probably do it easier too...sure someone will do this if not already....

2 hours ago, Atlas19 said:

in my opinion it doesn't matter if the movie was good or awful. It grossed 800+ millions, so that means many people saw it. for example, my 2 sons became gnr fans just for listen to the songs in the movie (although they listened to them 1000 times before while I played them in the car, at home, etc)

Haha, but it probably took their "favourite" movie to make them relevant and matter, haha! 👍

3 hours ago, rudolf1978 said:

Im starying feel nostslgic about CD era those show ive attended in 2006 and 2010 the q&a here in christmas 2007??? Axl bitching about internet conection. Gandalf i was there LOL

Was he logged on in a cafe? 🤔

50 minutes ago, Asdiz said:

I’ve been waiting to post about this song as I’ve been digesting my feeling and didn’t want to overrate because it’s new.  From someone who refuses to listen to leaked music and so I had never heard any of it, this song is absolutely brilliant.  A remarkable achievement no matter when it was written. I’ve got it on 100s of times a day and can’t get it out of my head. Love the first line of this review:

https://metalplanetmusic.com/2023/08/single-review-guns-n-roses-perhaps/

That review couldn't be more positive if Fernando wrote it himself....

4 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

The main vocals are identical except for the very ending to the song. Then the chorus now contains a new dark vocal track, but it might just have been mixed higher and been there before.

Duff is credited on Bv's....so that should be in mind too....surely he's just on chorus or the backing melody to Axl's verses...

On 8/26/2023 at 1:09 AM, The Matinator said:

Obviously we don’t know 100%, but I’m fairly certain Hardskool was from the 1994-96 sessions & was carried over to CD. Not only because of Slash’s comments but also Josh stating he had no memory of it, which probably means he wasn’t too involved with the creation. Also, Tommy also said in a recent interview that he didn’t remember the song much either & that  it could have been a song by the old band but he wasn’t sure.

Except  Josh has a 1% writing credit for HardSkool. 

Tommy, Robin and Paul have 3,8% each.

Edited by rebeldhipi