"The General" is officially delayed... but "The General" AND "Monsters" is (unofficially) out of the bag

9 hours ago, megaguns1982 said:

That’s why I think it may be an untouched CD era song. If it was already complete with Bucket,Robin etc isn’t it possible that they’re just throwing it in as a b side?

on the flip side, when they released sympathy for the devil as a single, the b side was an instrumental that wasn’t even a GnR song. So maybe it’s just the instrumental from those live shows?

It feels like it will be an instrumental or as you said a CD era leftover.

42 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Yeah, Slash is my favorite guitarist but he has not impressed me much on the CD material. nor has he impressed me much the last decade or so. No reason to shoehorn him in on songs where he doesn't fit just because he is a "legend" and in the effort lessen the songs.

In that case, you just don't release those songs.  

I don't think Axl would be too happy if Slash wanted to release a song under the Guns name with another vocalist who fits better

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

Nonsense like this drives me mad! 

You follow a band where Slash is the legendary guitarist who has written over 90% of the iconic riffs and solo's that get played at their live show. 

And you don't want that man to play a solo on the new song that we've never heard because he has 1 solo you don't like? 

And said that a song that could only heard a seconds with a lot of people noise had a killer solo. Obvius is a troll.

This people will tell that Slash solo is no good and the original is better even without heard the other version.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

...or it being an instrumental or not having Slash and Duff on it.

It seems like some people are really trying to come up with the craziest theories and then post them here as real possibilities.

For this people we live in a flat earth

27 minutes ago, jacdaniel said:

In that case, you just don't release those songs.  

I don't think Axl would be too happy if Slash wanted to release a song under the Guns name with another vocalist who fits better

If Axl had been out of the band for a while with Slash continuing the band with another singer who sang in a very different style, and now wanted to release those songs instead of having Axl sing over them and thus potentially hurt the songs, then I think that would be absolutely fine. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jacdaniel said:

He had two whole decades to release those songs if he really wanted to with whatever players he wanted. 

You just don't bring Slash back into your band and then tell him you want to release songs but would prefer if he didn't play on them. 

At least not if you're hoping he'll stick around and keep the band in stadiums.

I agree, if Slash is an impediment to releasing the remaining Chinese Democracy era songs as they were supposed to be, then I prefer if the nostalgia touring ends now so the songs can be released without Slash. And then, in a super ideal yet oh so unrealistic fantasy world, Axl and Slash would in parallel work on new GN'R songs together.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I agree, if Slash is an impediment to releasing the remaining Chinese Democracy era songs as they were supposed to be, then I prefer if the nostalgia touring ends now so the songs can be released without Slash. And then, in a super ideal yet oh so unrealistic fantasy world, Axl and Slash would in parallel work on new GN'R songs together.

Slash is actually a band member, it’s logical to release songs with him playing it. And for me he does a good Job, Chinese Democracy sounds harder with him in the guitar.

Just now, axljungle said:

Slash is actually a band member, it’s logical to release songs with him playing it. And for me he does a good Job, Chinese Democracy sounds harder with him in the guitar.

Talking about the released music, I think he's been doing okay to good. I still would have preferred the original versions, though. As for the live music, I think everything he plays suffers these days, both Chinese Democracy songs and old material, although I wish he would have come up with some more memorable leads for some of the CD songs compared to seemingly just winging it every night (an exception is There Was A Time where I think he is respectful to the original solo and makes a decent attempt). 

To me this is both about my belief that Slash is past his prime and also that I prefer songs to have their original musicians on them, those who came up with the parts originally. So I would also not like CD songs with Bumblefoot on them, not because I dislike his as a guitarist but out of principle. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, evader said:

Great points, all. If the 7" comes with a download card for digital release, I imagine that would be a nice band-aid for those who've been injured by the news of this vinyl-only release. Well, at least kinda.

Still, to beat a dead horse, most don't have access to record players, and some of us old-schoolers don't even do the digital purchasing thing. Hopefully, a broader range of buying options will follow at some point so that GNR can maximize both exposure and profit. Maybe that "broader range" will be a full album, like what was once common in the days of yore.

What was your reaction when you first heard it was being offically released? And what is your level if excitement to sit down and listen to this song? I feel like you would more excited than most.

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

If Axl had been out of the band for a while with Slash continuing the band with another singer who sang in a very different style, and now wanted to release those songs instead of having Axl sing over them and thus potentially hurt the songs, then I think that would be absolutely fine. 

Slash most definitely has not written great material in over a decade. Thats one reason I prefer Slash rerecording the CD material. I dont think Slash has it in him to write material good enough for GNR.

• Haha 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Moreover, GN'R have never released an instrumental track as part of a non-archival release. Of course there's a first time for everything, but taking the information we have into account, the "instrumental" theory is just tinfoil hat territory.

As for Slash and Duff not being on it, there's no chance of that for obvious reasons - and additionally because Slash specifically talked about re-recording "epics". But there's also a less obvious reason: according to the credits, the sound recordings of the three re-worked tracks that have been released so far are owned by GN'R (which means that the re-recording was self-funded), whereas the original recordings by the NuGnR guys are probably still owned by the label. So it seems that there's been some kind of plan and effort behind these releases, even if it ultimately doesn't matter to us because it's not on the creative front.

Incredible insight 

• Thanks 1

I think people are thinking it might be an instrumental because some are still in disbelief we might actually be getting the song with full vocals. Like, they've been waiting for so long, The General has always been that unhearable song, there's gotta be some twist to it when it seems to be coming out! Maybe that thinking comes from low morale with regards to GNR, or a lack of trust that something as big as The General releasing can simply and merely happen without some form of GNR shenanigans to back it up. And anything that can be used to indicate a whiff of possible GNR weirdness (Being on the R-side, Universal Italy being weird, no prominent advertisement right now), shakes their confidence that the song can be completely normal. Maybe the song merely releasing sounds too good to be true :D

Edited by BucketEgg
  • Like 1
  • PERHAPS 1

29 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Slash may not have written material that you like in over a decade but he has written and released tons of material that a lot of other people think is great in that same time.

I was responding directly to Soul monsters comment about not being impressed by his music in a decade. I agree. I respect any opinion who enjoys his out put during that stretch. I just think believe it’s mostly generic. 

• Like 1