"The General" is officially delayed... but "The General" AND "Monsters" is (unofficially) out of the bag

53 minutes ago, BillConnor_1982 said:

It’ll be nice to hear something we haven’t really heard before. The cellphone clip from the 2010 party…was that ever truly confirmed as The General or has this been pure speculation?

Speculation I think, I don’t recall the OP mentioning whether the so no titles were called out.

1 hour ago, BillConnor_1982 said:

It’ll be nice to hear something we haven’t really heard before. The cellphone clip from the 2010 party…was that ever truly confirmed as The General or has this been pure speculation?

This has been answered many times. People can hear bits of the orchestral intro that was played at shows in 2006-11 on the cellphone clip. That intro was officially confirmed to be from The General.

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

6 hours ago, Rovim said:

can't wait for The General to be released. Tough 3 weeks, but hoping for a big gun. Absurd, HS, and Perhaps are all nice tunes imo, but not big guns as Axl used to call the more high quality tunes.

He's had plenty of time to reload that's for sure....

Edited by colonizedmind

13 hours ago, General2112 said:

Somebody on Facebook asked a while back and they said who is this general you speak of. And then that person replied with something like oh you know what we’re talking about and they liked the comment. 

That was I and yes, they implied the video was done for The General (live backing video) and was ready to go. I assume it'll be played at the show after the 27th and not before. The days of Axl playing songs before they were released are long gone. 17 years since he last did that. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

That was I and yes, they implied the video was done for The General (live backing video) and was ready to go. I assume it'll be played at the show after the 27th and not before. The days of Axl playing songs before they were released are long gone. 17 years since he last did that. 

I generally agree with you (see what I did there), but I am pretty sure they planned to play Hard School at the Hollywood Palladium in 2019. It was rehearsed by the band that day, I heard it myself. Unfortunately, this was one of the few shows not promoted by Live Nation so Axl felt ok to show up a couple of hours late and the show itself was shorter than normal. Obviously I don’t know if it was 100% planned to be played that night.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DTV88 said:

I generally agree with you (see what I did there), but I am pretty sure they planned to play Hard School at the Hollywood Palladium in 2019. It was rehearsed by the band that day, I heard it myself. Unfortunately, this was one of the few shows not promoted by Live Nation so Axl felt ok to show up a couple of hours late and the show itself was shorter than normal. Obviously I don’t know if it was 100% planned to be played that night.  

Im not sure we can say for certain they intended to play it though, as they have soundchecked perhaps since may before playing. Plus the rumour was for a late 2019 or early 2020 hardskool release and it was then delayed by covid

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nick85 said:

They began recording on these tracks back in April of 2019, so it’s reasonable to think they were considering releasing Hard Skool in late 2019 when we know they first soundchecked it.

https://blabbermouth.net/news/is-slash-recording-new-guns-n-roses-music-this-weekend

The timing of it all made me think there was more to the locker discs leak...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

Who knows? I’m just glad they’re finally putting out a single that hasn’t already been circulating among the fanbase for however many years. 

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

3 hours ago, Blackstar said:

This has been answered many times. People can hear bits of the orchestral intro that was played at shows in 2006-11 on the cellphone clip. That intro was officially confirmed to be from The General.

That party they apparently played the General has always intrigued me...was it a label after-party? Why there and that song? Was it being worked on at the time? Seems very random otherwise...there was another unknown song too? So perhaps it was bones of CD2 from one of Axl's metal briefcases? :shrugs:

I agree but recent singles show that bits of others songs have made there way into completely different material, so...that orchestra bit could of originated as The General and then morphed to a song they were working on In 2009/10 which is when that clip was played....just to muddy the waters a little...

I'd say 90% sure but I guess we'll find out soon enough!

Edited by colonizedmind

46 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

More to?

AND if they were working on these songs BEFORE LL...do we think the leak + COVID destroyed the release plans....you're hardly gonna put out Hard Skool as your big single a month after it already just came out across a vast amount of the fanbase, are you?

1 minute ago, colonizedmind said:

That party they apparently played the General has always intrigued me...was it a label after-party? Why there and any that song? Was it being worked on at the time? Seems very random otherwise...there was another unknown song too? So perhaps it was bones of CD2 from one of Axl's metal briefcases? :shrugs:

I agree but recent singles show that bits of others songs have made there way into completely different material, so...that orchestra bit could of originated as The General and then morphed to a song they were working on In 2009/10 which is when that clip was played....just to muddy the waters a little...

I'd say 90% sure but I guess we'll find out soon enough!

I don't think it was a label party or anything like that. It wasn't unusual for Axl to play unreleased material at after parties. It just happened that someone recorded some clips at that particular party.

Wasn't the orchestral intro played at 2011 shows as well?

4 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I don't think it was a label party or anything like that. It wasn't unusual for Axl to play unreleased material at after parties. It just happened that someone recorded some clips at that particular party.

I saw them late-2011 and they did not. 

47 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

.you're hardly gonna put out Hard Skool as your big single a month after it already just came out across a vast amount of the fanbase, are you?

A vast amount of the fan base? A few hundred forum users heard those leaks. It got zero media attention at the time. Nobody cared.

That leak would've been last on the list of reasons not to release any of the songs.

Besides, leaks speed things up, not slow them down.

48 minutes ago, Slugworth said:

A vast amount of the fan base? A few hundred forum users heard those leaks. It got zero media attention at the time. Nobody cared.

That leak would've been last on the list of reasons not to release any of the songs.

Besides, leaks speed things up, not slow them down.

Yes, but not in GNR land....wrong band forum.

Plus, I'll clarify....the VAST amount that cares for new GNR music heard them...as @Atlas Shrugged said, that's a smaller number last 10 years 

Edited by colonizedmind

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

A couple I believe, yes. I remember hearing it on some vids...when I saw them again in 2012, it was Dexter or Massive attack, or even both...if memory serves.

ok but since that cellphone leak, have we heard of Axl continuing to play unreleased stuff? Don't think so? Perhaps he stopped after Fernando asd like - "Boss, you know how you hate those downloading mofos? I saw on Reddit..."

pre to that, we heard some stories of him playing stuff but I think the whole leak situation has sured him up in the recent decade....

2 hours ago, AtlasShrugged said:

Reality is nobody really cares about new GN'R tunes bar a small percentage of people. There was a chance they cared more in the mid 2000s but the ship has long, long sailed. 

I'm one of the small percentage, though

Is the atlas shrugged on YouTube ligiit? It's 4:28 long.