"The General" is officially delayed... but "The General" AND "Monsters" is (unofficially) out of the bag

So now we think maybe The General is actually a reworked/updated State Of Grace? And “Monsters” could be the intro we heard before shows is ‘06 and ‘07? It’s so hard to keep track of all these theories! I’m all for SOG though, was one of my favourites from the leaks

Would be a little underwhelming though considering we believed The General was this huge mystical song we’d never heard but turns out we’d all heard it years ago!

Edited by D4NNY

59 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

For the record, I'm not debating on whether the track list is real (I think it probably is). What I'm debating is whether it was shared in public before 2019 (like I said, there's no way to know if it was shared via PM's, for example, so I would have to take the people who say they had seen it, some of whom I trust, at their word) and I'm sure that it wasn't. I have dug deep into the forums and the only thing I have found that was shared in public was this (which was merely the titles mentioned in the video):

https://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=11088

When I saw it in 2019 I remembered it from 2011/2014

that screenshot was one of the small pathetic things that made me keep checking this forum everyday to check for an upcoming release when I was younger

1 minute ago, estrangedtwat said:

How do we know that song at the party was The General?  Maybe that was Soul Monster, and SOG got changed into The General?  Until something official comes out, how can we know?

Because Evader, and many people say the orchestral instrumental can be heard on the phone recording (I personally can't hear it)

And that orchestral instrumental was confirmed by GNR's twitter account by being called "The General"

3 minutes ago, Uncle Bob said:

It actually was
the screenshot someone posted above is legit
that was shared like a decade ago

If so, then I must have missed it somehow.  I'm not the only one that never saw it on any list though.

1 minute ago, twainwreck88 said:

How about we all just keep quiet until Friday? SOG is not the general. Come on ppl! Breathe! 

You're free to log off and go about your life until Friday.  Nobody's forcing you to be here.

The rest of us are legitimately excited.  We're gonna talk about it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, estrangedtwat said:

If so, then I must have missed it somehow.  I'm not the only one that never saw it on any list though.

You're free to log off and go about your life until Friday.  Nobody's forcing you to be here.

The rest of us are legitimately excited.  We're gonna talk about it.

Who are you to tell me I’m not legitimately excited? 🕺🏼

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

Here is the video (you have to wait a bit until it loads). No mention of Perhaps.

The screenshot of the alleged email containing the track list has been shared many times since 2019 (even earlier in this thread) - I haven't found any evidence that it circulated publicly before the 2019 leaks:

2008_013.jpg

So I guess, I was right then... 😏

Thanks for sharing the video again and for clearing... 👍

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

No, we don't think any of that, lol. It's just that as the release is getting closer, GN'R fans' paranoia and tendency to conspiracy is going in full mode, so a mention of a theory by one poster is enough to make other posters subscribe to it or say it's plausible etc. :lol:

The forum wouldn’t be the same without them to be fair 😂

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, kruelty said:

I'm going by memory, but it's based around the orchestral intro played before shows between 2006-2011, which GN'R confirmed as being The General. I just checked both the tempo and keys of the phone recording and the concert intro, and they match. (67bpm and D minor).

Perhaps I'm wrong, but didn't Axl just say that we might have heared parts of it already? Don't get me wrong... I also believe, that the intro is (a part) of the song, but we never got a real confirmation, don't we? 

I was around, and I don't remember Perhaps as being a song title. I do remember very clearly how I felt very weird when the Village leaks happened and people started talking about how MSL was "right" all along, stating that he had mentioned Perhaps. 

7 minutes ago, kruelty said:

I'm going by memory, but it's based around the orchestral intro played before shows between 2006-2011, which GN'R confirmed as being The General. I just checked both the tempo and keys of the phone recording and the concert intro, and they match. (67bpm and D minor).

You can make out a lot in the phone recording imo, except for the lyrics. The small guitar solo is crystal clear in the recording as well.

Agree. I even recorded a small snippet of this solo (more likely, a riff) and shared it on Discord. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ZoSoRose said:

Man, what if the song just sucks? Lol

I am so scared of that. CD is my favourite album ever, and I'm longing for another song like TWAT, Madagascar, Prostitute or Catcher so badly that I don't know how I could get over The General being shite. I know, it's only music and life goes on, but man...

1 hour ago, BucketEgg said:

could any of you have seen this apparent list on one of those other gnr forums that have gone defunct? or were you frequenting the forums that are active now back then as well?

My go to forum back in the day was chinesedemocracy.com. It is now defunct. I’m certain that email list was around back in 2011-2012 when all those documents got leaked. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Arnuld said:

My go to forum back in the day was chinesedemocracy.com. It is now defunct. I’m certain that email list was around back in 2011-2012 when all those documents got leaked. 

Alright, who here has too much time and wants to go digging for it to see if the page for it is archived anywhere? :D

https://web.archive.org/web/20130330161301/http://www.chinesedemocracy.com/forum/index.php

edit: nevermind, clicked on the thread saying "MSL talks about new songs he has heard", and it isn't archived :(

Edited by BucketEgg
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, D4NNY said:

Would be a little underwhelming though considering we believed The General was this huge mystical song we’d never heard but turns out we’d all heard it years ago!

Why is this a mystical song? Its no different than anything else in the vault that has yet to be released. It hasnt been released because New GNR fell apart, not because Axl has been holding onto big guns. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Arnuld said:

Ahh what a blast from the past! Many hours spent over there back in the day. Why did it ever go? I can’t remember it ever being that quiet on there that it was better closed and wiped away

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, AtlasShrugged said:

This thread is just a constant circle of the same theories. Roll on the release so we can debate the song itself.. (which is definitely State of Grace reworked ;))

A handful of bands I like are releasing records this Friday. All of the discourse around their social medias and forums and subreddits are about people excited to get tracking numbers, last minute theories on the songs and concepts of the album, people sharing liner notes. 

That's not quite the case here as we've entered in to the debating MSL's actions phase. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, youngunner said:

Why is this a mystical song? Its no different than anything else in the vault that has yet to be released. It hasnt been released because New GNR fell apart, not because Axl has been holding onto big guns. 

Because we’ve been aware of the title for decades now and seemingly never heard it, so it’s exciting and mysterious..? And mostly everything else in the vault leaked so… yeah, it’s mystical. 

I remember the MSL video getting released in January 2011 and all those song titles (Going Down, Tonto, Cuban Skies, Light My Fire) becoming forum lexicon. Don't remember seeing the list or it even being mentioned before 2019. It's probable that it was not passed around publicly because those who saw it privately didn't see any new song titles on it (apparently the question mark after Perhaps threw people off, thinking it was just a question rather than a song title). Of course this scenario only makes sense if the list was passed around privately after MSL's video.

Then again the list does say "4 Heavens Sing" which you would think would be something people would speculate on publicly.

Edited by ShadowOfTheWave