"The General" is officially delayed... but "The General" AND "Monsters" is (unofficially) out of the bag

14 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I would think so. What difference would it have made it you had known about the delay a week earlier, or two weeks earlier? You still have the option to cancel and get your money back. It is not like they have stolen your money :lol:

Sorry but I really think you're missing the point here!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kanecrescente said:

Expectations are deep underground by now, but don't falsely advertise things and it won't be an issue. It's fucking BORING

If your expectations are truly "deep underground" you wouldn't refer to the delay of the release of a vinyl as "false advertising things".

Edited by SoulMonster

1 minute ago, CAFC Nick said:

Sorry but I really think you're missing the point here!

If the point is that the band should have communicated the problem sooner, I would just point out the following: a) they might have been able to do that but we don't know, b) it wouldn't have made a difference, the song would still have been delayed, c) the band don't do communication, and when they try they typically do it poorly. 

Just now, SoulMonster said:

If the point is that the band should have communicated the problem sooner, I would just point out the following: a) they might have been able to do that but we don't know, b) it wouldn't have made a difference, the song would still have been delayed, c) the band don't do communication, and when they try they typically do it poorly. 

And you find this all acceptable?

Can you imagine any other business where you can justify it by saying "they don't do communication"? 

I will make an assumption here and say that you purchase goods online - why is this any different to that? If you order your groceries and it's delayed the night before with no communication, would you find that acceptable?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, timoteo said:

I’d be furious if this was some other profession where you spend your money for a product or service and they told you there was a delay. Imagine needing to manage your expectations with your contractors or something. 

To be honest, that happens quite regularly, at least where I live. Things you order get in back order, works at the house get delayed because of weather or other unforeseen circumstances. I would've been furious numerous times then in life just because of that.

It's just annoying with GNR it's ALWAYS that way. The only thing they seem to do right is touring. Thank God for that. (at least for me. I always have a blast at the shows I go too.)

• Like 1

Frustrating yes, fraud absolutely not. 

I won't be cancelling my order but I'm pissed off. The last minute nature of this without any communication is what's annoying... But it is to be expected with his band. 

Bands delay releases all the time, there have been issues with vinyl over the past few years but this isn't an excuse as they would have known about it well in advance. 

What worries me is that this December release date would now be taking place outside of any touring cycle, it just doesn't seem logical to release a new song in that way? For no apparent reason whatsoever. Perhaps was probably released to help boost US sales. For this reason I wouldn't be surprised if it's delayed longer term. 

If December comes and goes at that point I'd probably cancel the order. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kanecrescente said:

I'm just stating the facts, don't be a petty arsehole.

Sorry, but I don't consider it to be "false advertising" to go out and advertise a release which is later postponed., Such things happen. For it to be false advertising they must have known at the time it wouldn't happen.

5 minutes ago, CAFC Nick said:

And you find this all acceptable?

Can you imagine any other business where you can justify it by saying "they don't do communication"? 

I will make an assumption here and say that you purchase goods online - why is this any different to that? If you order your groceries and it's delayed the night before with no communication, would you find that acceptable?

I haven't said at all I find it acceptable. I have not at any point defended GN'R lack of communication. I am questioning and criticizing people's reactions. How is it not possible to separate these things? Is it not possible to both see that GN'R is poor at communications AND that people here are totally overreacting?

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Sorry, but I don't consider it to be "false advertising" to go out and advertise a release which is later postponed., Such things happen. For it to be false advertising they must have known at the time it wouldn't happen.

Considering Universal Italy gave a hint to it being delayed the other week, it seems they did infact know, thus making your whole message invalid and ultimately a waste of your time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

People much more informed than me on vinyl production has stated that it is quite common that vinyls are delayed. I can imagine a thousand things can go wrong. But you choose to instead think it is deliberately delayed to make us impatient? Why would they want to make us even more impatient?

Because when someone promoted a physical single have this single made. The impression whit this is that they announced a product that they don’t have

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bangit said:

I won't be cancelling my order but I'm pissed off. The last minute nature of this without any communication is what's annoying... But it is to be expected with his band. 

Bands delay releases all the time, there have been issues with vinyl over the past few years but this isn't an excuse as they would have known about it well in advance. 

What worries me is that this December release date would now be taking place outside of any touring cycle, it just doesn't seem logical to release a new song in that way? For no apparent reason whatsoever. Perhaps was probably released to help boost US sales. For this reason I wouldn't be surprised if it's delayed longer term. 

What a refreshingly tempered response. 

A quick comment to the release taking place outside of any touring schedule. I believe The General was intended to happen outside of the touring schedule because I don't think Axl wants the pressure of having to sing it live with his current state of voice. Which is entirely fine with me. I also hope this means the band will release more singles in 2024 when they will not tour instead of waiting to whenever they tour again. I want music ASAP, not connected to tours.

Just now, kanecrescente said:

Considering Universal Italy gave a hint to it being delayed the other week, it seems they did infact know, thus making your whole message invalid and ultimately a waste of your time.

But it wasn't false advertising when it was made.

1 minute ago, axljungle said:

Because when someone promoted a physical single have this single made. The impression whit this is that they announced a product that they don’t have

You think bands press and package vinyls and other physical products BEFORE they start selling them?

4 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

A quick comment to the release taking place outside of any touring schedule. I believe The General was intended to happen outside of the touring schedule because I don't think Axl wants the pressure of having to sing it live with his current state of voice. Which is entirely fine with me. I also hope this means the band will release more singles in 2024 when they will not tour instead of waiting to whenever they tour again. I want music ASAP, not connected to tours.

I dont think Axl is pressured to sing anything he doesnt want to. He chooses the setlist.

It cant be vocally worse than 2023 Hard Skool, Better or YCBM could it.

I agree with wanting new music instead of endless tours.

Edited by vloors

4 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

But it wasn't false advertising when it was made.

You think bands press and package vinyls and other physical products BEFORE they start selling them?

The other bands yes. When they promote an album, the album is in the stores that day, why? Because they made the physical product before

9 minutes ago, bangit said:

You are not allowed to be pissed off. It’s your own fault you’re pissed off 🤷🏽‍♂️ 

fraud companies do this kind of business tactic all the time. Just watch American Greed 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vloors said:

I dont think Axl is pressured to sing anything he doesnt want to. He chooses the setlist.

It cant be vocally worse than 2023 Hard Skool, Better or YCBM could it.

I agree with wanting new music instead of endless tours.

I think he would feel pressured to sing it. By releasing the song right after touring he gets away without having to do it.

Just now, axljungle said:

The other bands yes. When they promote an album, the album is in the stores that day, why? Because they made the physical product before

This has changed with online sales, especially with products that won't be shipped to actual stores like vinyls sold online. Now artists can gauge market interest before manufacturing their products. This way they don't produce too many, or too few, and can thus save manufacturing costs (which either can result in cheaper products or more profits). Manufacturing the vinyls beforehand and then shipping and distributing it to locals markets without knowing what the sales will be, doesn't make a lot of sense, at least not for niche products like this single. And let's face it, it is a niche product with probably <5,000 in sales globally, which means it is downprioritized among the factories that press vinyls when they get orders for a million of Taylor Swift's latest (and she might press a large batch beforehand because she knows she will sell a lot, and then do further batches later on).

I wasn’t fully expecting The General to be released online immediately as it would have made sense to try to hype up the vinyls a bit first, so not particularly upset about that - but I do completely agree with the criticisms over the last minute delay on the pre-orders and then lack of communication, it’s really poor for those who have spent money on something which hasn’t turned up as advertised. It’s nothing to do with being angry at GnR for the music it’s just really bad customer service all round.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

Team Brazil doesn't do announcement because Axl doesn't want them to. 

Sometimes, yes, but not always. Incompetence also plays a role. Please stop defending them. 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 2