Ex Nu GN'R members on Slash, Duff n co redoing their tunes

On 8/19/2023 at 2:34 AM, AxlRoseCDII said:

I doubt they’ve given it much thought. Maybe they listen to it once at most and move on.

Well, it all depends on the song and how much involvement they had in its origins. If you were the person that wrote the genesis of the song and your name is nowhere to be found on the release, I'm pretty confident that even of it was 20+yrs removed from writing it, you would be pissed. Those guys are being paid their royalties and that's enough for them.

The 'all songs written by Guns N Roses' tag is an easy way to blanket it and not have to have twelve writers credited in the statements.

Look at the output of the original band. How many songs were there that Slash wrote? Izzy was the primary songwriter for a lot of the material. Then Axl or other people associated with the band had a small chunk. So from that perspective, it's probably not that strange for Slash to contribute to an already written song with a riff and solo, or changes to the structure.

This material is 20+ years old. Anybody involved was a hired gun. They are likely so far removed form it, that they don't care. If they had any frustrations about how the CD recordings were handled, they likely got over it 10 or 15 years ago. 

Ironically, Slash and Duff are hired guns now. I doubt they care all that much about the material. It's probably similar to being hired as a session musician or contributing to someone else's album. Look at the kind of projects Duff does, or Slash and Duff's work outside of Guns'. I highly doubt their preference creatively is to exclusive release a handful of CD leftovers in the decade since they have "regrouped". Maybe there is a compelling business reason for having done it this way, but I doubt it. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, gunsnchalupas said:

Look at the output of the original band. How many songs were there that Slash wrote? Izzy was the primary songwriter for a lot of the material

I think this gets overstated. Looking at the Illusions credits, becuse if I'm right the band was credited collectively on Appetite, Axl has more credits than Izzy, and Slash isn't too far behind Izzy, one song less on each record. Izzy gets put on this songwriting pedestal but it was very much a collective effort. I certainly don't think he was any more responsible than Axl was

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, gunsnchalupas said:

Look at the output of the original band. How many songs were there that Slash wrote? Izzy was the primary songwriter for a lot of the material. Then Axl or other people associated with the band had a small chunk. So from that perspective, it's probably not that strange for Slash to contribute to an already written song with a riff and solo, or changes to the structure.

This material is 20+ years old. Anybody involved was a hired gun. They are likely so far removed form it, that they don't care. If they had any frustrations about how the CD recordings were handled, they likely got over it 10 or 15 years ago. 

Ironically, Slash and Duff are hired guns now. I doubt they care all that much about the material. It's probably similar to being hired as a session musician or contributing to someone else's album. Look at the kind of projects Duff does, or Slash and Duff's work outside of Guns'. I highly doubt their preference creatively is to exclusive release a handful of CD leftovers in the decade since they have "regrouped". Maybe there is a compelling business reason for having done it this way, but I doubt it. 

Source?

14 minutes ago, DoMw94 said:

I think this gets overstated. Looking at the Illusions credits, becuse if I'm right the band was credited collectively on Appetite, Axl has more credits than Izzy, and Slash isn't too far behind Izzy, one song less on each record. Izzy gets put on this songwriting pedestal but it was very much a collective effort. I certainly don't think he was any more responsible than Axl was

100% correct. People these days act as if Slash’s only contribution was noodling on the guitar. He was a songwriter as much as any of them were. Plus there were songs that Slash received no credit for that were debatable - Estranged, for one. Slash’s guitar line is the main hook of the song, yet not significant enough to garner a songwriting credit when it easily could have been.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mikey Whipwreck said:

I'm sure it is frustrating to a degree. But they were paid salaries while in the band and they received writing credits where due. Tommy, Robin, Josh and Paul all get a piece of royalties from Hard Skool. That seems preferable to it collecting dust in the vault 

in your mind maybe it is this way, but in their mind they were ripped off, because the song were written by some/all of former members and (for sure) because of a contract they gave up their credits. Anyways, we are not talking about Hotel California or Stairway to Heaven, it is Perhaps...

39 minutes ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

100% correct. People these days act as if Slash’s only contribution was noodling on the guitar. He was a songwriter as much as any of them were. Plus there were songs that Slash received no credit for that were debatable - Estranged, for one. Slash’s guitar line is the main hook of the song, yet not significant enough to garner a songwriting credit when it easily could have been.

November Rain as well.

• Like 2

Just now, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

That was my next example. The solo and the ending guitar line are the most memorable parts of the song.

Yep. Not technically musical, but the shot of him outside the chapel in the video doing the solo also may be the most iconic image from one of the most iconic videos ever. Definitely should’ve received a credit on the song.

• Like 3

That's what corporate ownership means.  You got a paycheck and the company owns any music you write or record for that company.  The company is legally the creator of the music so the owner of the company gets all the benefits.

You can't have it both ways, these are 20 year old songs made by hired guns, yet Axl apparently cares about them and makes a profit.  It shows that Axl just wants the control and ownership.  He didn't credit Slash with co-writing Estranged because then Slash would get a say and a share of the profits.  Slash was stupid enough to just accept a "thank you" on the liner notes.  Nobody who has done anything for G'n'R since the early 90s gets any say in what is done to their work and that's why nobody writes and records new music.  They have solo careers instead.

I don't know how or why they credit songwriting the way they do but they can make up whatever they want for that.  The company owns the work and Axl owns the company.

47 minutes ago, ChrisW said:

That's what corporate ownership means.  You got a paycheck and the company owns any music you write or record for that company.  The company is legally the creator of the music so the owner of the company gets all the benefits.

You can't have it both ways, these are 20 year old songs made by hired guns, yet Axl apparently cares about them and makes a profit.  It shows that Axl just wants the control and ownership.  He didn't credit Slash with co-writing Estranged because then Slash would get a say and a share of the profits.  Slash was stupid enough to just accept a "thank you" on the liner notes.  Nobody who has done anything for G'n'R since the early 90s gets any say in what is done to their work and that's why nobody writes and records new music.  They have solo careers instead.

I don't know how or why they credit songwriting the way they do but they can make up whatever they want for that.  The company owns the work and Axl owns the company.

They may aren't credited in the liner notes but they get a specific amount of money. That differs from member to member and from the dagree of songwriting contribution each member did, which affects the percentage of royalties they get.

• Like 1

The star talent from the Chinese Democracy era like Finck, Bucket, Freese, etc continued to create and release their art for the past two decades so I sincerely doubt they care about some random instrumental jam they recorded with Dizzy Reed at 2 AM in 1998 while waiting for Axl to show up for rehearsal.

Edited by RONIN

6 hours ago, lost un the jungle said:

but in their mind they were ripped off

How do you know this? Has anyone come out and said this since the release of Absurd, Hard Skool, or Perhaps? 😂

They were all effectively session musicians, did what they were paid to do, then moved on. They got paychecks. Nobody got ripped off and I highly doubt anyone's thinking that 😂

Speaking of writing credits, there's no information about Perhaps yet (it will probably take a while before they appear). But I have fully updated this post with a lot of new information, mainly about Axl's precise shares on UYI, Absurd and Hard Skool:

6 hours ago, ChrisW said:

Although Slash didn't get credit in the liner notes, he gets a cut of the publishing, like all members do. Also the credits changed in the 2022 UYI reissue, reflecting the aforementioned fact, so all members are credited for each song. See link above for more detailed information.

• Like 1

They have all moved on in life.. No need to make drama were there isn't any. 

Unless an ex member makes a current public statement about there involvement it's only forum speculation and talk around the water cooler. 

Finck, Stinson, Freese, Mantia and Bumblefoot all seem at peace with themselves... 

They are all adults and understand life moves on and as adults probably happy things have worked out for the best for all those involved including themselves... 

You guys act like these guys are children. These guys have been through band break ups before, marriage separations, being solo parents and through the good and bad times in life. I highly doubt they care about what happened in the past... It will all be water off a ducks back to each of them... 

Edited by kiwiguns

8 minutes ago, kiwiguns said:

They have all moved on in life.. No need to make drama were there isn't any. 

Unless an ex member makes a current public statement about there involvement it's only forum speculation and talk around the water cooler. 

Finck, Stinson, Freese, Mantia and Bumblefoot all seem at peace with themselves... 

They are all adults and understand life moves on and as adults probably happy things have worked out for the best for all those involved including themselves... 

Or Buckethead secretely has a Slash voodoo doll cursing him for not even attempting to sweep pick on the tunes he was on