Ex Nu GN'R members on Slash, Duff n co redoing their tunes

Ok so I've read a lot of comments speculating how it must feel for Slash n Duff to have to work on CD leftovers before doing all new songs. On the flipside I wonder how it must feel for some of the ex Nu GN'R members to see material from their era finally getting released but without them on it. I mean that's got to be a bit of bitter pill to swallow. Except for Brain who some of his drums have been left alone.

I imagine there were contracts in place to where all the material they used in regards to GNR could still be used by GNR even after they left - so I bet at the very least it isn't a suprise for them that since the reunion that would be the case

As to their feelings, I can easily imagine Ron not caring, Buckethead not even being aware GNR are releasing things because he is too busy recording 10 more albums, and Tommy being cool about it lol

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

Apparently the songwriting is credited to "Guns N' Roses" which could technically mean just Axl. 

This is only for the liner notes. There are credits on ASCAP and other similar organizations.

1 hour ago, megaguns1982 said:

I’d love to hear what they all think about losing their writing credits to slash n Duff. I smell lawsuits on the horizon.

They got credits for Hard Skool, although small share. There are probably agreements.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WhazUp said:

I imagine there were contracts in place to where all the material they used in regards to GNR could still be used by GNR even after they left

I recall a Tommy Stinson interview where he stated that after he left the band he tried to get permission to record and release some of the demos he wrote for GN'R that were never used and his request was denied. He was told that some of his demos could be used in the future. 

I also recall Axl's post on this forum in 2008 where he listed an Izzy song from 1995 among the songs that were in consideration for Chinese Democracy.

These two recollections suggest that Axl hoards all material written by former members for potential future use, no matter how old the songs might be or how long ago the band member left.

• Like 1

After knowing Axl for so long I would assume they are just happy to see their friend releasing songs that are meaningful to him

On the flip side of your question Axl could have put these all in the vault and left them to die.  If they have any attachments to these songs at all I'm sure they are just happy to have them see the light of day.  Even if it might be a little bittersweet.

• Like 1

Does Bumblefoot not do those whiney rants online anymore? I can imagine him having something to say. 

Id be most interested in Robins comments seeing as he was bought in to replace Slash, work on building up the tracks and new band only for Slash to return and use the nu bands material. You couldn't make it up. 

• Like 1

These guys (mainly Tommy and Robin) put a lot of effort to write music for GNR, so it must be frustrating seeing how now out of the blue the same song comes out with Slash and Duff pressed as "creators". The underlying message of all these late releases is that Axl is the one who decides what is recorded/released, etc. Slash and Duff couldn't make him write a new song or introduce to him something worth to be released (in Axl's vision). So, regarding power management, Axl is in control and the one who has the keys of he money making machine.

My bet is Ron would probably be pissed they started releasing songs again after he left - as he was pretty bummed about the eternal touring. Tommy is probably cool about it, and I hope he's cool enough to not be against a Duff version of Going Down, where he can sit down and just let the royalty checks come in at home while Duff sings his tune. Buckethead certainly doesn't give a fuck about any of this. DJ Ashba™ is probably sad he didn't release a single tune with GnR, not even Ballad of Death™, which he recorded specifically for GnR. Chris Pitman is happy touring with Tool, as well as Josh Freese with the Foos and Robin is probably getting ready for the next NIN tour. Brain is probably relieved his drums were left intact after all the work he went through with Axl. Paul Tobias is probably married with kids somewhere, more worried about the repainting his shed and getting going off to buy a brisket for his Sunday barbecue.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Cosmo said:

My bet is Ron would probably be pissed they started releasing songs again after he left - as he was pretty bummed about the eternal touring. Tommy is probably cool about it, and I hope he's cool enough to not be against a Duff version of Going Down, where he can sit down and just let the royalty checks come in at home while Duff sings his tune. Buckethead certainly doesn't give a fuck about any of this. DJ Ashba™ is probably sad he didn't release a single tune with GnR, not even Ballad of Death™, which he recorded specifically for GnR. Chris Pitman is happy touring with Tool, as well as Josh Freese with the Foos and Robin is probably getting ready for the next NIN tour. Brain is probably relieved his drums were left intact after all the work he went through with Axl. Paul Tobias is probably married with kids somewhere, more worried about the repainting his shed and getting going off to buy a brisket for his Sunday barbecue.

It seems Tommy has gotten the rights to Going Down and another Village demo called "10%er" for a while now, as both songs have been registered on ASCAP as his compositions.

So these should not be considered unreleased GN'R tracks anymore.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/19/2023 at 3:29 AM, GNRfan2008 said:

Apparently the songwriting is credited to "Guns N' Roses" which could technically mean just Axl. 

Obviously GNR isn't just Axl anymore but Axl, Slash and Duff. 

Regardless that doesn't matter. What matters is the distribution of the royalties. 

• Like 2

On 8/19/2023 at 2:00 AM, ZoSoRose said:

It was so long ago I wonder if they care

This. And given the sheer number of songs they worked on, would they even remember specifics? I'm sure I saw that Josh Freese can't remember if he was involved in Hard Skool or not but he has a credit.

For the NuGuns members, it was a job. They did their bit then moved on. The weirder scenario was probably them taking ownership of the legendary songs from the old band and the old band having to watch them play those

• Like 2

On 8/18/2023 at 6:29 PM, GNRfan2008 said:

Guns N Roses (partnership) is Axl, Slash and Duff. Any future songs will be credited to at least those 3 by the looks of it.
As for the old players, I’m sure they knew the score from the get go. They were paid to sit around in a studio (that Axl wasn’t typically at much) and come up with ideas for the man in the castle. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, lost un the jungle said:

you think? I always wondered how much they earned and if all have the same status in terms of salary/contract

Of course! They would've easily had six figure salaries and earnt per year/tour/session.

They wouldn't make as much as Axl, but they'd earn a lot more than if they worked in an office instead.

Here's a thread from 2008 discussing what The Rolling Stones' touring musicians make. Of course, the Stones are a bigger touring entity than Guns, but it gives a reasonable insight. If an anonymous (yet talented) player like Darryl Jones was making a million for touring back then, then I'd say it was a safe bet tthatthe likes of Robin, Tommy, and Chris etc. (who were all considered 'members') could've got at least $100k a year for touring and recording. Chris even sued for over $100k in missing earnings when he left the band.

1 hour ago, DoMw94 said:

Of course! They would've easily had six figure salaries and earnt per year/tour/session.

They wouldn't make as much as Axl, but they'd earn a lot more than if they worked in an office instead.

Here's a thread from 2008 discussing what The Rolling Stones' touring musicians make. Of course, the Stones are a bigger touring entity than Guns, but it gives a reasonable insight. If an anonymous (yet talented) player like Darryl Jones was making a million for touring back then, then I'd say it was a safe bet tthatthe likes of Robin, Tommy, and Chris etc. (who were all considered 'members') could've got at least $100k a year for touring and recording. Chris even sued for over $100k in missing earnings when he left the band.

100k is a lot for me, but don't know if it is a lot considering the numbers of a tour. Now, of course, the real question is what they do instead to make more money. For instance, Tommy with the cowboys & crap I think is making only for weed and hotels

19 minutes ago, lost un the jungle said:

100k is a lot for me, but don't know if it is a lot considering the numbers of a tour. Now, of course, the real question is what they do instead to make more money. For instance, Tommy with the cowboys & crap I think is making only for weed and hotels

It's not really. If you break it down per show, for 2006 that was just under $1,400 per show. For those that are still here, in 2017 it was just over $1,200 per show. And that's not factoring in rehersal days, travel days, or any recording days.

$100,000 annual salary is reasonable enough, probably a bit short

Edited by DoMw94
  • Like 1