What is Slash's best recorded solo? Audio and video in your opinion?

On 9/26/2023 at 5:23 PM, Nintari said:

Back and Forth Again. SCOM is objectively his high-water mark, but man... Back and Forth Again. That solo, along with the chord progression, is like hearing an angel commit suicide. Gut wrenching.

The lyrics leading into the solo are great as well. Always loved that song

• Like 1

On 9/27/2023 at 6:44 AM, Jadeder said:

Coma, Chicago 92 was magic from the first time I ever saw it. I've never seen a human being achieve this level of mastery over their instrument before. Like, you could feel his soul and emotions coming through the performance and he did that every night. 

IIRC he broke a string towards the end too.

On 9/26/2023 at 2:21 PM, Cosmo said:

Slash's best solo is SCOM. There's just no contest here. That solo is singable from start to finish, people know each note and sing along every time. We're just kinda sick of it, but it's pure genius. One of the best solos of all time.

Slash said in an interview from years ago that he patterned the solo of SCOM from the solos of two huge 70’s songs: Manfred Mann’s version of “Blinded By The Light”, and “Baker Street” by Gerry Rafferty. 

To think there might never have been a SCOM had Axl not heard Slash warming up with his “goofy personal exercise”. Also, the person at Geffen Records that convinced the higher-ups at the label to release it as a single, saying it would be a #1 song if it got radio airplay.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Old_school_gnr_fan said:

Slash said in an interview from years ago that he patterned the solo of SCOM from the solos of two huge 70’s songs: Manfred Mann’s version of “Blinded By The Light”, and “Baker Street” by Gerry Rafferty. 

To think there might never have been a SCOM had Axl not heard Slash warming up with his “goofy personal exercise”. Also, the person at Geffen Records that convinced the higher-ups at the label to release it as a single, saying it would be a #1 song if it got radio airplay.

Plus some inspiration from the song 25 lovers. 

On 9/26/2023 at 9:23 AM, Nintari said:

but man... Back and Forth Again. That solo, along with the chord progression, is like hearing an angel commit suicide. Gut wrenching.

I've never heard anyone else mention that solo, but I've always loved it. Especially the note you're referencing that occurs with the chord change. When cranked up loudly, it just hits something within me.

SLASH uses that same method on a few other songs and it always has the same effect on me.

WRT his Snakepit material, I especially love the solos from Back and Forth, Beggars, Ain't Life Grand, Back to the Moment, Serial Killer, and Speed Parade.

WRT his SMKC and solo material, I especially love the solos from Far and Away, Anastasia, Crazy Life, and Starlight.

And last but not least from the GN'R catalogue, I especially love Brownstone, PC, SCOM, RQ, You're Crazy Acoustic, Patience, Don't Cry, NR, Coma, and Estranged.

IDK that I could ever decide upon an absolute favorite or best ever recorded, as there are countless live performances I could also name, but for today only --- I suppose I'd say the "Coma" solo. But that opinion ebbs and flows and changes constantly. ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thunderram said:

IDK that I could ever decide upon an absolute favorite or best ever recorded, as there are countless live performances I could also name, but for today only --- I suppose I'd say the "Coma" solo. But that opinion ebbs and flows and changes constantly. ;)

Well you didn't even name one, because if you read the OP of this whole thread, he asked for the best Slash SOLO SPOT IN THE LIVE SHOW not solos on songs haha. I feel like I'm one of 3 people who responded correctly to poor OP threadstarter, like 70% of the posts in this thread missed the point and go on some tangent long post about song solos when it wasn't even ever a question anybody asked, lol

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2023 at 3:21 PM, StrangerInThisTown said:

Well you didn't even name one, because if you read the OP of this whole thread, he asked for the best Slash SOLO SPOT IN THE LIVE SHOW not solos on songs haha. I feel like I'm one of 3 people who responded correctly to poor OP threadstarter, like 70% of the posts in this thread missed the point and go on some tangent long post about song solos when it wasn't even ever a question anybody asked, lol

Unlike you, apparently, I'm not a monkey dancing to the directions of others. But go ahead and be proud of "following directions".

I decided to go with the "flow" of the discussion. Sorry (not really) if that triggered you. Besides, the title of the thread is ambiguous and not so specific.

Now, go on and police all the other threads to make sure everyone is on point, following directions, and answering exactly what is asked. That should keep you busy for a long while -- since you're clearly bored and have nothing better to do with your time.

And I'll be sure to mock and ridicule you the very next time you don't stay on topic and respond to somebody else in the thread that did the same. ;)

Edited by thunderram
  • ABSUЯD 1

21 hours ago, thunderram said:

Unlike you, apparently, I'm not a monkey dancing to the directions of others. But go ahead and be proud of "following directions".

I decided to go with the "flow" of the discussion. Sorry (not really) if that triggered you. Besides, the title of the thread is ambiguous and not so specific.

Now, go on and police all the other threads to make sure everyone is on point, following directions, and answering exactly what is asked. That should keep you busy for a long while -- since you're clearly bored and have nothing better to do with your time.

And I'll be sure to mock and ridicule you the very next time you don't stay on topic and respond to somebody else in the thread that did the same. ;)

Wow no need to be an ass, I was just trying to help the poor guy who started this thread get more answers to his actual question, you really call answering the question of a threadstarter in his thread "a monkey dancing to directions of others" ? You have a really twisted mind, dude.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown