THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

2 minutes ago, THELINESMAN said:

I think that’s what Baz said about Sorry. He sings backing on the chorus 

This. Can we have FYI section pinned of all the round and round of the same things that get asked or incorrect details spouted? It would save a lot of space. Sorry, i'm in a shit mood today....may make that page myself! 🫣😄

Edited by colonizedmind

13 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Why we weren't going to get it? They're registered as one song, so we're probably getting as a kind of concept song consisting of two parts.

Just replying to someone who said it'd be impossible for The General AND Monsters both appear on the B-side to Perhaps

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Miden34 said:

i get what your saying but as a musician myself... i can 100% verify that its slash. mistaking sound is one thing. and yes you can semi replicate someones amp sound, but you can tell instantly when you hear slash. its slash.  but EVERYONES vibrato is totally unique. its slash dude.

7 minutes ago, pbj_jam said:

Oh for sure there's FNM influenced stuff there, wouldn't put it at the top of that list, but it's there. Lotta late 90's along with the mentality of progressing naturally beyond illusions. He did get too busy with chasing trends instead of focusing on material presented, which imo was up to snuff.

You know I've always bucked against that line about Axl trying to chase the trends. I think if you hear a song or style you like and then it pushes you creatively to make something that is in your style but now influenced by the newer material that you're hearing, that shouldn't be looked at as a negative.

I guess it would be one thing if we thought he heard Linkin Park for example and decided he wanted to add a rapper to try and appeal to the younger kids, but he didn't legitimately like that sound. It's something different to be inspired by a sound and then create based on that. Just always struck me as a cheapshot when people said that. Like in 2002 with the braids and the jerseys, I always assumed Axl just liked the look. Not that he wanted to look like he belonged in a Wu Tang video.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Agattuso said:

I enjoy the echo chamber here, just gonna make December so much more interesting -_-.

All I know is

1) The actual song as is registered is one song (The Generals and Monsters)

2) The songs that leak are two disjointed songs, The Generals and Monsters. We ourselves stitch it.

3) There is no actual connection between 1 and 2 except for our own assumptions

4) I play guitar the best past of 20 years to have the humility to say that people can try to replicate whatever tone they want. There is an actual niche in guitar community where people share gear/equaliser setup for famous players. Or maybe just pick up a guitar magazine.

5) Dealing with this band teaches me to be sceptical. Nobody even knew we've been listening to snippet of Monster all along lol. 

also if you are a guitarist of 20 years, and cant tell slash the second you hear him, i would doubt your ear is musically trained. 

Edited by Miden34
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, uzi your illusion said:

You know I've always bucked against that line about Axl trying to chase the trends. I think if you hear a song or style you like and then it pushes you creatively to make something that is in your style but now influenced by the newer material that you're hearing, that shouldn't be looked at as a negative.

I guess it would be one thing if we thought he heard Linkin Park for example and decided he wanted to add a rapper to try and appeal to the younger kids, but he didn't legitimately like that sound. It's something different to be inspired by a sound and then create based on that. Just always struck me as a cheapshot when people said that. Like in 2002 with the braids and the jerseys, I always assumed Axl just liked the look. Not that he wanted to look like he belonged in a Wu Tang video.

And to add to this, many of the trends Axl was supposedly chasing were themselves inspired by older ('70s) stuff that Axl was always a fan of, so it was natural that he would like them.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, uruguns said:

Vinyl postponement

Fans get mad

Songs leak

GnR and Fernando right after make announcements on Reddit, X and FB.

1+1=2

CD was delayed/postponed for nearly 13 years pissing off the majority of the hard core fan base. Nothing was leaked by the band during that time. They don’t  We all know where the leaks came from during that time period. The guns camp isn’t leaking their own songs. They don’t care about upsetting a small part of their fan base. Never did from the beginning. 

Just now, Voodoochild said:

My personal theory is that the combo The General and Monsters were recorded from the soundboard of one of those studios that Axl and Slash used in Europe last summer to test the mix in different speakers and headphones. 

same

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

The monster solos in particular are SOO Slash i'd question whether you're really a fan at all if you're even debating that....or I'll forgive ya if you're tone deaf or something...

No debate at all. Let's not waste our time. 

It’s all Slash until 4:03, when Richard takes the lead. IMO 

23 minutes ago, Agattuso said:

I enjoy the echo chamber here, just gonna make December so much more interesting -_-.

All I know is

1) The actual song as is registered is one song (The Generals and Monsters)

2) The songs that leak are two disjointed songs, The Generals and Monsters. We ourselves stitch it.

3) There is no actual connection between 1 and 2 except for our own assumptions

4) I play guitar the best past of 20 years to have the humility to say that people can try to replicate whatever tone they want. There is an actual niche in guitar community where people share gear/equaliser setup for famous players. Or maybe just pick up a guitar magazine.

5) Dealing with this band teaches me to be sceptical. Nobody even knew we've been listening to snippet of Monster all along lol. 

Why would Axl mimic a guitar tone AND style of someone like Slash when he got the man himself in the band? There’s absolutely no logic behind your theory. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

My personal theory is that the combo The General and Monsters were recorded from the soundboard of one of those studios that Axl and Slash used in Europe last summer to test the mix in different speakers and headphones. 

What mix? This isn't mixed, the vocals aren't even compressed

39 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

Lol first point agreed. but listen, don't buy they dont make much off spotify. They make loads. Ok it's not what it would be if these people bought hard copies, but they get 10million + streams per month. they are doing ok. if we were getting what they get on Spotify we'd be in heaven. 

I think being deaf full stop is the only excuse i can give for people questioning if it is slash on monsters.

Yeah, agreed, this idea that big artists don't make much money on Spotify is nonsense. They don't make what they did with CD sales, but with 10 million plus streams a month, they're doing fine. It's like $4 per 1000 streams on Spotify, more on Amazon and Apple.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HollyWoodRose84 said:

CD was delayed/postponed for nearly 13 years pissing off the majority of the hard core fan base. Nothing was leaked by the band during that time. They don’t  We all know where the leaks came from during that time period. The guns camp isn’t leaking their own songs. They don’t care about upsetting a small part of their fan base. Never did from the beginning. 

Yeah but this time people were flooding their social medias with upset messages about The General. Maybe it was a "emergency protocol" of some sorts like "lets shut all of them up, give them the songs and make them unable to cancel their orders"

6 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

A decent theory....but then who had them and was there job worth leaking it? Why on the release day that never happened and not before...was it a big fuck you, you had your chance? I just don't get what's in it for whoever did let this out....other than being potentially fired and out of the fold ..

Maybe we'll never find out what happened to Melissa and the rumour will be....THIS was her....ooo the plot thickens 

Edited by colonizedmind

4 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

The vocals are heavily compressed, not sure what you’re talking about. But I meant different mixes, didn’t say those were final version. Also, they probably tested Perhaps too there. 

You can hear the dynamic going up and down especially in the bridge of Monsters. There's no way this is a 2022 recording. I mean even the CD demos recording from early 2000 sounds so much better

Edited by kitstuai
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, colonizedmind said:

A decent theory....but then who had them and was there job worth leaking it? Why on the release day that never happened and not before...was it a big fuck you, you had your chance? I just don't get what's in it for whoever did let this out....other than being potentially fired and out of the fold ..

I think it’s because the tracks were in the hands of some fan already and he/she got pissed after the vinyl fiasco. But it’s just a theory.