THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

Just to change the subject a little...

I believe that these leaks are/were totally intentional, just like the "New Iphones images leaks" are to measure the general people reactions and make changes, every company does that. Gn'R is just like that. Gn'R camp leaked the song to calm down die hards, get their feedback, see their reactions and support to the songs and to piss the record label a little etc...

I remember that someone questioned Fernando (or other Gn'R related person) why Gn'R music were taken down from YouTube and he said that they couldn't do nothing about it, which makes sense because there's a ton of videos from Rick Beato questioning these take down from many artists and they couldn't manage anything about it.

So... I believe that the leaks are totally intentional...

• Like 2
  • ABSUЯD 2

You know, Taylor swift gets a lack of flack for her amount of breakup songs. Axl gives her a run for her money with the Seymour songs haha. Not hating, I love how he writes his deepest emotions into songs. Monsters lyrics are basically an extension of There Was A Time, same vibe, about a crazy narcissistic woman who is emotionally and mentally tormenting Axl. ‘I would do anything for you, there was a time.’ And ‘I was there for you, it’s all that I could do.’ And of course a couple lines about the promiscuous sexual nature of the lady. I wish I could make out what Axls deep vocals are on the song. ‘The Monsters have _____ me,’ is what I hear, there’s a super heavy robotic effect on those deep vocals, unlike the more raw deep vocals on TWAT and Shacklers. 

Really hope we get State of Grace soon… it’s interesting that The General at the end has the same vocal scatting melodys as State of Grace in the climax of that song. Half of the parts, Axl seemed to not have the lyrics for yet. He’s 100% switching between singing words and just the Melodies at the end of The General and I can’t imagine that’s what Axl wanted the final outcome to be. Just like how he eventually found the right words to end Street of Dreams.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, AxlRQ93 said:

If General is Pt I, Monsters is pt 2 and SOG is part 3 

monsters is is part 1 general is part 2. we have been listening tot eh songs backwards

if general is played right at the end of monsters when its fading out it fits perfect. 

the there is no monsters  and mgeneral. "The General" is one song. a copyright message to Skylar proved that monsters is general. 

2 minutes ago, Miden34 said:

monsters is is part 1 general is part 2. we have been listening tot eh songs backwards

if general is played right at the end of monsters when its fading out it fits perfect. 

the there is no monsters  and mgeneral. "The General" is one song. a copyright message to Skylar proved that monsters is general. 

I tried listening both ways and I think TG first and Monsters second. Here’s why:

1. TG feels like Axl talking about his feelings as a kid (this would be a natural starting point not ending point)

2. Monsters feels more like grown up Axl confronting the child abuse

3. the screaming part in Monsters is very much like the ending of Coma… the screaming part just sounds like a good climax to the finish 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Uncle Bob said:

Lyrics from the general seem to be an "evolution" of these lyrics Axl wrote when he was younger

FQadiZwWYAAmdnu?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

These are about his biological father and they don't seem to be actual lyrics to be made into a song, but just thoughts in rhyme, maybe with the intention for some lines to be morphed and used as lyrics.

The General seems to be about his stepfather, of maybe about both.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Underhardy said:

You know, Taylor swift gets a lack of flack for her amount of breakup songs. Axl gives her a run for her money with the Seymour songs haha. Not hating, I love how he writes his deepest emotions into songs. Monsters lyrics are basically an extension of There Was A Time, same vibe, about a crazy narcissistic woman who is emotionally and mentally tormenting Axl. ‘I would do anything for you, there was a time.’ And ‘I was there for you, it’s all that I could do.’ And of course a couple lines about the promiscuous sexual nature of the lady. I wish I could make out what Axls deep vocals are on the song. ‘The Monsters have _____ me,’ is what I hear, there’s a super heavy robotic effect on those deep vocals, unlike the more raw deep vocals on TWAT and Shacklers. 

Really hope we get State of Grace soon… it’s interesting that The General at the end has the same vocal scatting melodys as State of Grace in the climax of that song. Half of the parts, Axl seemed to not have the lyrics for yet. He’s 100% switching between singing words and just the Melodies at the end of The General and I can’t imagine that’s what Axl wanted the final outcome to be. Just like how he eventually found the right words to end Street of Dreams.

I have a very similar interpretation of Monsters. It feels a catchier yet darker version of TWAT. 

34 minutes ago, Uncle Bob said:

Lyrics from the general seem to be an "evolution" of these lyrics Axl wrote when he was younger

FQadiZwWYAAmdnu?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Haven’t read those in a minute. Damn. I definitely see a correlation in some of those lines to The General. The use of Daddy, the references to his family hiding the truth from him. When you frame Axls life in the 80s and 90s through this lens, it really tells you why he was so problematic and manic.. it gives ‘Appetite For Destruction’ a much darker meaning to him. 

41 minutes ago, Underhardy said:

Sounds to me like he's saying either "Monsters can't help me" or "monsters can't have me", but he might actually be saying both. Both make sense to me in the context of the song. The song seems to be about him going through shit but then finally overcoming it on the other side. 

6 hours ago, Bucketdude_666 said:

General is AI produced. Vocals are not Axl.

You're still doing this?

You must be trolling.

46 minutes ago, jcjunior86 said:

I remember that someone questioned Fernando (or other Gn'R related person) why Gn'R music were taken down from YouTube and he said that they couldn't do nothing about it, which makes sense because there's a ton of videos from Rick Beato questioning these take down from many artists and they couldn't manage anything about it.

You actually believe this?

So it's just a coinkydink that the people removing videos for the past 17 years have their tongues firmly up Fernando's rump?

6 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I only thought it was AI when I skimmed the track from a shitty speaker in a meeting lol. When you actually hear them, they’re 100% real

Same here. I must've looked like a tweaked out addict when I excused myself to stay in the restroom for a good few minutes.

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Slugworth said:

You actually believe this?

So it's just a coinkydink that the people removing videos for the past 17 years have their tongues firmly up Fernando's rump?

Not totally... but whenever I upload some Gn'R guitar cover (and some other artists as well not only Gn'R) on YouTube I get a copyright warning that the content is owned by UMG (Universal Music Group) and the video is de-monetized but it is not blocked (due to I'm not a content creator which if he/she does that it has video blocked and removed and get a copyright strike). So that is mainly the Record Label working... So I guess that the leaks being removed has to do with the record label and in conjunction with Gn'R camp also...

Edited by jcjunior86
  • Like 1

Lyrics are a letdown, heavy subject matter and all, it basically reads like CD stuff, maybe he will get a pass here with what seems like lack of introspection. Was just hoping for a tiny nugget in a sea of cheese mostly with CD, my own fault I know, still stuck at Illusions..

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, TiedHands said:

Sounds to me like he's saying either "Monsters can't help me" or "monsters can't have me", but he might actually be saying both. Both make sense to me in the context of the song. The song seems to be about him going through shit but then finally overcoming it on the other side. 

It sounds like “monsters can’t get me” to me. Absolute banger of a song. Slash sounds fucking great on it too. I still can’t believe axl sat on this song for so long. It’s more profound/cathartic than almost anything he’s written before. It feels like part 2 of TWAT. Fucking amazing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Underhardy said:

You know… I shit on these songs for Axls lyrics and effects on his vocals… particularly on The General, I still can’t make our half of that songs lyrics. But.. holy shit is the potential there in these songs to be all timers… some of the vocals mixing just bothers me, but aside from that… these are fucking insanely cool/amazing songs 

The Intent is for some of the vocals on the General to be "murky".

Think of an abused child crying out for help but nobody can hear him/her or what they hear they can't understand.  The child, at that age, is having difficulty putting their feelings into words due to the pain they are feeling + inability to articulate at that age...it should sound like an incoherent emotional cry for help...and Axl nailed it!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Underhardy said:

I read this comment quite a bit, but who's to say that these songs are about Stephanie? He could have had plenty of other relationships through the years that weren't public, that also could have ended badly. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jcjunior86 said:

Not totally... but whenever I upload some Gn'R guitar cover on YouTube I get a copyright warning that the content is owned by UMG (Universal Music Group) and the video is de-monetized but it is not blocked (due to I'm not a content creator which if he/she does that it has video blocked and removed and get a copyright strike). So that is mainly the Record Label working... So I guess that the leaks being removed has to do with the record label and in conjunction with Gn'R camp also...

Yeah record labels certainly do takedowns but the majority of the GNR nonsense over the years wasn't the label.

• Like 1

Monsters. 

Opening, those low vocals. Remember the story about the Jan 2007 recording section, Axl jumping from song to song adding little bits on each? I always imagine the "it was a long time" parts in TWAT were one if those things but I like to imagine the "monsters in the..." being one of these too. 

Duff. What is he doing on that intro, it's like evil Funkadelic shit. Real deep and funky. 

Chorus is oddly catchy. 

I love those guitar chords after the chorus, real sleaze. 

I can't believe the effort Slash has gone to here. Not just Slash but whoever is playing. 

First solo reminds me a little bit of Civil War. I'm not sure why. 

After the solo back to my favourite strings. Two really cool guitar parts going on each side. You get a reprise of the strings from the General before the Axl vocals start screaming. 

The breakdown. Guitar sleaze. 

Then Axl starts screaming. The Christmas card of pure venom! Holy moly. 

There's so many guitar layers by now in the last chorus, I can hear at least 4. I'm fairly sure Bucket is in here. 

Last solo does seem to change half way. There's a second solo on the left channel too. I'm hearing Slash on the last solo though, not Fortus. 

Then it ends. 

These are two of the best Guns tracks. Hands down. Game over. The peak of the CD era and Axls true vision. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Miden34 said:

One would assume it would be called Monsters and The General, Instead of The General and Monsters if that's the case.

• Like 1