THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

6 hours ago, DannyVinyard said:

If Axl didn't no-show Philly 2002, they could have taken the world by storm. That band had so much talent, potential, and who knows how high of a ceiling. The Philly no show, which triggered the tour being cancelled as well as Buckethead leaving, is what doomed NuGNR.

Thank God that didn't happen

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Yes, the lineup Axl had recruited was talented. And yes, if there wasn't the no-show in Philly, maybe Buckethead wouldn't have left (and also the album would have probably been released sooner).

But no, they wouldn't have taken the world by storm. That's just a fantasy.

Uh, in your opinion, they wouldn't have. They already had a slew of new songs developed, or in process. Imagine Chinese Democracy dropping in 2003 and GNR continuing the tour, with heavy promotion, interviews, epic music videos for their first 3 or 4 singles, and I'm pretty sure Axl Rose wouldn't have chosen the title track as the first single. Chinese Democracy was forced out in 2008 by the record company, which was way late, included zero promotion from Axl Rose and GNR, a dud of a first single, a failure to release TWAT (by far the best song on CD) as a single, and the album STILL went on to sell 1 million copies in the US. Think of how many more it would have sold in 2003 with proper promotion as well as the CD platform being more relevant then. NuGNR could have not only taken the world by storm, but they could have saved rock music. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DannyVinyard said:

I mean, all he's done since the reunion is deliver zero new tunes and rip off fans with a non-stop cash grab tour of the oldies. 7 years and no new music (releasing songs created by NuGNR doesn't count).

1.  Slash isn't the problem regarding delivering new tunes and them actually being finished

2.  It isn't a "rip-off" if mostly everyone going to the shows wants to hear the oldies and know they are getting the oldies going into it lol.  You not liking their touring doesn't count as a "rip-off"

Jfc I swear this forum I can't tell if the points made by some folks are intentionally obtuse or not :lol: 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WhazUp said:

Does anyone else feel like we are losing brain cells reading some of these comments?  :lol:

Between the idea that The General/Monsters doesn't have Slash on them, nuGNR could have "saved rock n roll", and that all Slash does is repetitive blues licks I have never come across the type of crack these people are smoking lol

If I ever feel like I want to abuse drugs, I will contact these people

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, ©GnrPersia said:

Is he a hired gun? he doesn't have a say in GNR?

or wait... why bother when he can just earn millions with no studio effort?

You think him and Duff have a fucking say in releasing new "new" music and force Axl to write and record new shit in the studio? lol

Do you know what band you're talking about? :lol:

11 minutes ago, DoMw94 said:

And that's solely on Slash is it? He has actually delivered two full albums plus a handful of guest appearances, while touring almost constantly since the reunion.

But yeah, let's place the blame of GN'R's lack of studio activity on Slash 😂

Releasing albums is easy when all the songs suck.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GoForJMark said:

You think him and Duff have a fucking say in releasing new "new" music and force Axl to write and record new shit in the studio? lol

Do you know what band you're talking about? :lol:

So your dear Slash and Duff knew they're not more than contract members, yet they did it for the 'love' of the fans?

What a sacrificing human beings.

Thank you so much for your enlightenment.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DannyVinyard said:

Uh, in your opinion, they wouldn't have. They already had a slew of new songs developed, or in process. Imagine Chinese Democracy dropping in 2003 and GNR continuing the tour, with heavy promotion, interviews, epic music videos for their first 3 or 4 singles, and I'm pretty sure Axl Rose wouldn't have chosen the title track as the first single. Chinese Democracy was forced out in 2008 by the record company, which was way late, included zero promotion from Axl Rose and GNR, a dud of a first single, a failure to release TWAT (by far the best song on CD) as a single, and the album STILL went on to sell 1 million copies in the US. Think of how many more it would have sold in 2003 with proper promotion as well as the CD platform being more relevant then. NuGNR could have not only taken the world by storm, but they could have saved rock music. 

With all that, and most importantly if they were not a hybrid of "new" band and and AFD cover band, they would have done better than they eventually did. But they would have never had the impact and success the original band had, because of the name. Axl would have had a bigger chance to succeed under another moniker (I'm not saying as a solo project because I don't want to start another debate on that in this thread), provided, of course, that he didn't fuck it up too hard.

• Like 1

So your dear Slash and Duff knew they're not more than contract members, yet they did it for the 'love' of the fans?

What exactly is your point on here besides just being really shitty to people because they don't agree with you that nuGNR is the best version of GNR? :lol:

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ©GnrPersia said:

Look at the ratio of fans that were happy when they reunited compared to NuGnR diehard geeks like yourself. I think yes they did it for MONEY first and to give fans what they fucking want.

and look outside of Chinese Democracy release in 2008, how many songs came outside of that in a span of more than a decade? that's right fucking none

56 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

The odds for Me and My Elvis and Soul Monster being the same song were equal to them being different songs. The word "Elvis" in the title was an just an indication that they could be the same song, however most people took it as evidence and turned it into a "fact", although there were also strong indications suggesting the contrary, like that, as per Axl, the earliest working title of Soul Monster (Leave Me Alone) didn't have "Elvis" in it.

Good point, in my case i was hoping it was the same because of how Sabbath may have influenced Axl and the vibes that the Elvis song gave me. But yeah, it turns out it was just pure forum bs lol.

I still like to believe that maybe some of the old CD era lore told here on the forums, is mostly true, (the logical stuff, not stuff like the red panda and that kinda shit). Because it turned out that The General was indeed related to child abuse, no? And the odds of that were as good as any of the other unheard songs being the ones chosen to have that theme, iirc Axl never said which one he was referring to when he mentioned that :tongue2: 

Edited by metalavenger99
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, GoForJMark said:

and look outside of Chinese Democracy release in 2008, how many songs came outside of that in a span of more than a decade? that's right fucking none

I'm in no way defending Axl, his stupid management or how he had handled his band circa 98-2014.

Quiet the opposite I'm a harsh critique of him in this case. He's a jackass, messy, lazy and a hell of a procrastinator. good?

I'm just saying it's ridiculous that the majority of the AFD/Reunion fans keep bashing the NuGnr band while at the same time being excited about the music that is being released from that era.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, ©GnrPersia said:

If that's the logic for you and many others here then I have nothing else to say. A reunion tour that lasted longer than the lifespan of the original band. KISS No. 2 lol

Don't get mad, Is just a difference of opinion, I will never understand the appeal of CD era, Is like watching an accident on the Road, It would be so different if Axl goes solo ir with another  Band name.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ©GnrPersia said:

I'm just saying it's ridiculous that the majority of the AFD/Reunion fans keep bashing the NuGnr band while at the same time being excited about the music that is being released from that era.

To be fair, even if you may disagree with this, adding a guitar tone and presence to music from the nuGNR era, does change the overall sound.  And since for many people a lot of GNR's whole thing is Slash on guitar, it makes sense that people would be more excited hearing Axl's songwriting with more of the sounds and guitar tones of the guy from 1987-1993 on them

So I don't think it is ridiculous at all, all you need is "Monsters" to hear the results.  Some great Slash licks that blend his tenure in classic GNR to Axl's songwriting to make it more "GNR feeling" to most people

Agree or disagree, I think that point of view should at the very least be respected - no matter what "classic GNR purists" people you have argued with in the past regarding your own preferences

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Bitchisback said:

Velvet Revolver had a far better chance of any of these wild fantasies you guys have about the NuGNR lineup.

Just to clarify, please exclude me from those having these fantasy. I don't.

I actually don't think NuGnr would save rock or take the world by storm. I just think it could have been a good solo package for Axl had he managed it properly.

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

59 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

The odds for Me and My Elvis and Soul Monster being the same song were equal to them being different songs. The word "Elvis" in the title was an just an indication that they could be the same song, however most people took it as evidence and turned it into a "fact", although there were also strong indications suggesting the contrary, like that, as per Axl, the earliest working title of Soul Monster (Leave Me Alone) didn't have "Elvis" in it.

Me and My Elvis was probably just a random working title the band members that wrote the instrumental came up with, maybe an inside joke. It generally looks like that the earliest working titles were given by the band members in the case of tracks that originated from them and not Axl, whereas the tracks that originated from Axl and developed by the band had working titles that he gave them (e.g. Jackie Chan, Oklahoma); and then Axl would either change or keep the same working title the band members came up with when he would start working on the lyrics.

So it seems that Soul Monster was originally Leave Me Alone (working title) adn then Axl changed it to Elvis Presley and The Monster Of Soul when he started working on the lyrics or at least had the subject matter in his mind. And the song probably was part of the same batch of Brain tracks The General and Seven were from.

Axl seemed to refer to The General and Soul Monster as two separate songs in 2008, so it was definitely after that point that were probably paired into a two-part suite. Bach didn't compare the General to Estranged in terms of "epicness", he just said that Axl told him it was a sequel to Estranged, presumably lyrically.

As for what became of Me and My Elvis, who knows. Maybe it was completed under another title, maybe not.

Great post

• Like 2

I'm in no way defending Axl, his stupid management or how he had handled his band circa 98-2014.

Quiet the opposite I'm a harsh critique of him in this case. He's a jackass, messy, lazy and a hell of a procrastinator. good?

This I strongly agree.

3 minutes ago, ©GnrPersia said:

Don't count me in on that, I've learned to appreciate that era. Even though I talk shit of hardcore fans who has some weird opinions about the reunion era. 

But I mean of course they'd be excited to hear Slash's take in the studio on those songs. I mean these are the first songs he ever sat on and record as a part of GN'R again since TSI.

• Like 3