THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

2 minutes ago, Lethalis said:

The problem is not Finck, Bucket, Slash or Duff.

It's Axl.

hmm no, in terms of songwriting, Axl is Axl, only the other members changed, so he works with different kind of music material to assemble the songs, and of course the songs are more industrial with industrial musicians or blues with more blues musicians, simple logic.

11 minutes ago, DeNfr said:

they are not "leftovers", they are tracks who weren't finished at the time of CD.
it's not a question of quality or whatever, just the ones who weren't finished.

about the songwriting, maybe you'll be happier with fresh music by Slash & Duff, since they don't write music like Buckethead Huge or Finck. but it's a gamble...

Lumping song- preference by songwriter does not work for me. I enjoy songs by Slash/Duff and songs by Bucket/Huge/Finck. I feel like I'm talking to a wall? :shrugs:

• Like 2

My opinion on The General after over a month is that Axl's lyrics and vocal melodies are very strong. The effects don't really work with Axl's voice, it seems he was going for a Manson type sound but it just doesn't mesh well with his style. I think the weak point of the song is the instrumental itself, people describe it as creepy but to me its cheesy as fuck and dilutes the power of the lyrics. I feel the same way about Sorry, people complain about Axl's lyrics being weak despite the music being strong, yet I feel the opposite. Guess I just don't care for Brain as a composer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeNfr said:

they are not "leftovers", they are tracks who weren't finished at the time of CD.
it's not a question of quality or whatever, just the ones who weren't finished.

about the songwriting, maybe you'll be happier with fresh music by Slash & Duff, since they don't write music like Buckethead Huge or Finck. but it's a gamble...

Or saved for a project that was meant to be a trilogy....so obviously some tracks had to be prioritised and others like General left for future albums and therefore further worked on down the line...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Voodoochild said:

Well, I think anything from CD and NILT era is way more interesting than the two examples of "old-school" stuff that were posted here. And I still think people are overreacting with The General - not that they can't dislike it, but in the sense that this is "the end of the band". 

The release of Atlas & Monsters will, I think, cleanse everyone’s collective pallets since they are both more stick to your ribs rock songs. It’s just too bad that they will likely not surface until the next major tour. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, ZoSoRose said:

The General is not a masterpiece to say the least. People just don't think it is a good song. :shrugs:

yeah? I just read the first 50 comments on YouTube and it's positive at 90% 
so I don't think your narrative works outside this forum, and it works here only
if we count profils who just connect since the release of the song to say it's rubbish. 

so, yes, you're a minority.

I like The General but in no way begrudge anyone who doesn’t. It’s driven by a hip hop beat that could be from an Eminem song circa 2002. It’s a huge departure from what most would consider the classic GNR sound. It’s also fairly repetitive. It feels like an experiment, not necessarily a bad one, but for sure a creative departure. Is what it is. If you dig it, cool. If not, it seems like the next couple songs will be less controversial.

Edited by Nick85
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, DeNfr said:

yeah? I just read the first 50 comments on YouTube and it's positive at 90% 
so I don't think your narrative works outside this forum, and it works here only
if we count profils who just connect since the release of the song to say it's rubbish. 

so, yes, you're a minority.

They are deleting negative replies from the video. The top comment was a very long thread of people saying the mix is awful. I commented there. It's been erased.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Flayer said:

They are deleting negative replies from the video. The top comment was a very long thread of people saying the mix is awful. I commented there. It's been erased.

ah yes, I remember when "the song is garbage" changed into "the song is ok but the clipping..."

44 minutes ago, Flayer said:

That comment is still there. The top comment changes quite often. 

I think it sounds OK. I remember listening to death magnetic and it was basically distorted as hell and hurt my ears whe  I listened to jt in headphones.

With the general I hear some things that are probably not great, but I can listen to it on headphones and it doesn't hurt.

The vocals I think are distorted to reflect the subject matter. That's clearly an artistic choice it's not an accident.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

That comment is still there. The top comment changes quite often. 

I see it now, just had to scroll the page about 30 times to get to it. Youtube has a horribly broken sorting algorithm. It's at 194 likes currently, which makes it the most liked comment on the video. It's also the one with the most replies. 

Behind the audio issues, the song is good, and this is the majority of people's first time hearing it, so I'm not surprised to see many positive reactions. But the mix is awful, and people are noticing the audio errors.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Lelex95 said:

It is a meaningful distinction by any means. 
a format can be common across different genre, knowing a song is a ballad gives you certain informations about it, knowing a song is a punk song gives some completely different one. 
the comment I responded too suggested that guns n roses fans are used to variety of genre cause they are used to variety of formats which makes no sense. 

Actually you're proving my point; where are the punk ballads? Be more specific; what is different between the "informations" a genre gives you versus this "format" thing I've never heard anyone talk about before you? Genre refers to style. A ballad is also just a different style.

What would you call it when Axl says "gimme some reggae" during Knockin on Heaven's Door? What would you call My World or Tastes Good, Don't It? Those are different genres. And It's So Easy can absolutely be called a punk song. Hell, they did an entire punk cover album. 

Furthermore, acoustic rock is its own genre. OIAM is acoustic rock and folk rock:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_in_a_Million_(Guns_N'_Roses_song)

If you like rock you are used to rockers, ballads and acoustic songs, it doesn’t mean you like punk or nu-metal. 

If you like rock, that doesn't mean you like ballads and acoustic songs. As proven by the split up of GNR. Hello?

you conflate format and genre all over in your comment and I’m sorry it’s not subjective. 

Yeah, that was my point... you've made up this distinction. I literally studied music theory in college. "Format" is not a thing. You've made it up. There is no such term in music theory.

If it's not subjective, where is your evidence? All I see are vague declarations.

5 hours ago, El Guapo said:

Man, the way this already horrible track falls apart in the last 30 seconds is just hilarious.

Definately NOT what they intended XD

That part of the song almost seems like a placeholder for something they never got around to doing, and just said F it and released it as is. 

• Like 2

I’m sorry, but if your response to people not liking the song is “well, listen to/find other artists” then you should stop posting.

If you truly think people are clinging onto The General as their only source of music, then that says more about you and it’s ridiculously pathetic.

6 hours ago, invisible_rose said:

As much as I like the Reunion versions, I can't help but wish for final versions with Bucket, Brain & Robin. 

At the very least, and all icon status and reputations aside, those earlier versions with Bucket, Robin, and Brain/Josh are the original mixes of some songs, so I think they will sound more natural and cohesive. Certainly more so than adding guitars 20 years later and re-working them in part. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Zeppelin said:

I’m sorry, but if your response to people not liking the song is “well, listen to/find other artists” then you should stop posting.

If you truly think people are clinging onto The General as their only source of music, then that says more about you and it’s ridiculously pathetic.

it's not a response to people not liking "a song", but to people who don't like *any* song a band is producing since 20 years. so that says nothing about me in fact, and your comment is irrelevant.

and try to avoid personal insults towards me, I don't have much tolerance for them. 

Just now, DeNfr said:

it's not a response to people not liking "a song", but to people who don't like *any* song a band is producing since 20 years. so that says nothing about me in fact, and your comment is irrelevant.

and try to avoid personal insults towards me, I don't have much tolerance for them. 

They can like or dislike anything they want. Your comments are still pathetic.