CD II Running Order vs Chinese Democracy

Given we now have a fair chunk of demos, 'finished' and released tracks from what could/would/should have been Chinese Democracy II, how do you envisage the track list/running order? And do the CDII tracks have a parallel on CDI. Obviously there are a few holes. If there are any tracks I've missed, feel free to add them in! 

Here's a my first, very quick comparison. Let's hear your take (PS there are no wrong answers!)

1. Chinese Democracy = Oh My God

2. Shackler = Absurd

3. Better = Perhaps

4. Street of Dreams = Going Down

5. If the World = Knocking on Heavens Door (Acoustic)

6. There Was a Time = Monsters

7. Catcher = Atlas Shrugged

8. Scraped = State of Grace

9. Riad = 

10. Sorry = The General

11. IRS = Hard Skool

12. Madagascar  = 

13. This I Love = 

14. Prostitute =

Edited by invisible_rose
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, invisible_rose said:

Given we now have a fair chunk of demos, 'finished' and released tracks from what could/would/should have been Chinese Democracy II, how do you envisage the track list/running order? And do the CDII tracks have a parallel on CDI. Obviously there are a few holes. If there are any tracks I've missed, feel free to add them in! 

Here's a my first, very quick comparison. Let's hear your take (PS there are no wrong answers!)

1. Chinese Democracy = Oh My God

2. Shackler = Absurd

3. Better = Perhaps

4. Street of Dreams = Going Down

5. If the World = Knocking on Heavens Door (Acoustic)

6. There Was a Time = Monsters

7. Catcher = Atlas Shrugged

8. Scraped = State of Grace

9. Riad = 

10. Sorry = The General

11. IRS = Hard Skool

12. Madagascar  = 

13. This I Love = 

14. Prostitute =

My word I thought the common talk we have of going as far back to revamp OMG for an album was a WTF...now we're re-doing '91 with Heavens Door. Shit-a-brick 🤣

1 hour ago, colonizedmind said:

My word I thought the common talk we have of going as far back to revamp OMG for an album was a WTF...now we're re-doing '91 with Heavens Door. Shit-a-brick 🤣

Have you heard the acoustic version of KOHD? Granted, it would never have made CDII, but from what we have, it's a great cover of a cover!

1 hour ago, invisible_rose said:

Have you heard the acoustic version of KOHD? Granted, it would never have made CDII, but from what we have, it's a great cover of a cover!

I have and nothing wrong with it at all, it's just the pure optics of another proposed old old song being added to albums decades apart..unless it's a reimagination of old hits, it's new songs we want, not old songs on a new album....we could obviously make that ourselves...😬

• Like 1

Chinese Democracy II. 12 songs, bring it full circle with a Slash/Duff redo of the title track. Listening to the demos sequenced, if they all had vocals, it wouldn’t be the worst album (+ assuming Seven exists because I needed a 7th song :lol:)

1. Oklahoma

2. Hard Skool

3. Absurd

4. Perhaps

5. The General

6. Monsters

7. Seven

8. Atlas Shrugged

9. Oh My God

10. Leave Me Alone

11. Quicksong

12. Chinese Democracy (w/Slash, Duff, Brain, Melissa)

From what we've heard, Hardschool with the long intro would've been the best opening song for CD2. If completed, Zodiac and Oklahoma would also be good choices.

Just going off the few tracks we've heard and that CD2 email list, this would've been a decent tracklist.

Hardschool
Oklahoma/Berlin
Perhaps
Atlas Shrugged
State Of Grace
Tonto
Going Down
Absurd
The General
Soul Monster

OMG, TIL remix, Ten Percenter, etc could be bonus tracks.

Obviously we can't really comment on songs like Cuban Skies, Nothing, Monstrocity, Down By The Ocean, Seven, etc but they had at least one more solid album ready to go, even without those tracks.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, bmus1 said:

Chinese Democracy II. 12 songs, bring it full circle with a Slash/Duff redo of the title track. Listening to the demos sequenced, if they all had vocals, it wouldn’t be the worst album (+ assuming Seven exists because I needed a 7th song :lol:)

1. Oklahoma

2. Hard Skool

3. Absurd

4. Perhaps

5. The General

6. Monsters

7. Seven

8. Atlas Shrugged

9. Oh My God

10. Leave Me Alone

11. Quicksong

12. Chinese Democracy (w/Slash, Duff, Brain, Melissa)

Monsters and Leave Me Alone are the same song - Soul Monster.

And tbh, re-releasing CD-era songs with Slash and Duff would be ridiculously lame and uninteresting even for a band that barely releases music. I really don't know why some people here want a 'new' version of CD, OMG, Better, etc but I guess it's a 'beggars can't be choosers' thing... Give me live songs, cover songs, or even Duff songs over re-recorded songs from 20+ years ago...

• Like 1

To think it's practically half a record already officially released, it's pretty mental all things considered. I've not even attempted playing what we have back to back yet, I imagine it would be quite sonically jarring given the difference in mixing, but I do hope we get a cohesive package at some point soon, but I imagine it's most likely going to be continuing to drip feed these songs over the course of a few years and then the band looking at starting from scratch for a new album, sadly - I'll happily take whatever we're given though!

Oklahoma/Berlin and Zodiac will hopefully be enjoyed in the not too distant future. The Village Leaks are full of intriguing instrumentals that would have made a great follow up to Chinese had they been worked on - which is possible given the timeline of the Village sessions is from 2000/01.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

I have and nothing wrong with it at all, it's just the pure optics of another proposed old old song being added to albums decades apart..unless it's a reimagination of old hits, it's new songs we want, not old songs on a new album....we could obviously make that ourselves...😬

Totally agree. Glad we got the recording though. I thought it was a great version. 

5 hours ago, Dean said:

To think it's practically half a record already officially released, it's pretty mental all things considered. I've not even attempted playing what we have back to back yet, I imagine it would be quite sonically jarring given the difference in mixing, but I do hope we get a cohesive package at some point soon, but I imagine it's most likely going to be continuing to drip feed these songs over the course of a few years and then the band looking at starting from scratch for a new album, sadly - I'll happily take whatever we're given though!

Oklahoma/Berlin and Zodiac will hopefully be enjoyed in the not too distant future. The Village Leaks are full of intriguing instrumentals that would have made a great follow up to Chinese had they been worked on - which is possible given the timeline of the Village sessions is from 2000/01.

Sonically jarring - bravo! Great way to describe what we have so far in terms of a running order.

11 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

From what we've heard, Hardschool with the long intro would've been the best opening song for CD2. If completed, Zodiac and Oklahoma would also be good choices.

Just going off the few tracks we've heard and that CD2 email list, this would've been a decent tracklist.

Hardschool
Oklahoma/Berlin
Perhaps
Atlas Shrugged
State Of Grace
Tonto
Going Down
Absurd
The General
Soul Monster

OMG, TIL remix, Ten Percenter, etc could be bonus tracks.

Obviously we can't really comment on songs like Cuban Skies, Nothing, Monstrocity, Down By The Ocean, Seven, etc but they had at least one more solid album ready to go, even without those tracks.

I really did prefer the 'Hard School' with the longer intro, which was surely meant for an album version vs the single we got. 

9 minutes ago, bmus1 said:

Wait which one is it lol

I think I've only seen it falsely titled online then.

Me and My Elvis is the instrumental track contained in the locker discs. Most people were certain that it was the same song that later became Soul Monster and many even renamed it. But it wasn't, eventually.

• Like 1