Star Wars-The Force Awakens Thread (Contains Spoilers)

Georgy Zhukov

This will help a little regarding the Republic.

9M6N9E3h.jpg

ecwPJYgh.jpg

Some Snoke from the novelization.

He met her eyes steadily. "We've lost our son, forever." Leia bit her lower lip, refusing to concede. "No. It was Snoke." Han drew back slightly. "Snoke?"

She nodded. "He knew our child would be strong with the Force. That he was born with equal potential for good or evil."

"You knew this from the beginning? Why didn't you tell me?"

She sighed. "Many reasons. I was hoping that I was wrong, that it wasn't true. I hoped I could sway him, turn him away from the dark side, without having to involve you."

[sNIP]

"I thought I could shield him from Snoke's influence and you from what was happening."

[sNIP]

He had trouble believing what he was hearing. "So Snoke was watching our son."

"Always," she told him. "From the shadows, in the beginning, even before I realized what was happening, he was manipulating everything, pulling our son toward the dark side."

5xOqKFM.jpg

So Snoke has apparently been around since the time of the prequels.

Was just reading about all of this. Apparently, the novel also says that Snoke followed Ren in his mind during his training, and influenced him to the dark side. Kinda creepy. This kind of context would've been nice during the movie. But if some of it is saved for VIII, then I'm okay with that too.

When I went to the 3D showing at 9:00 AM, we got there about 8:20 and got great seats. When we showed up for the 2:50 PM standard showing, we got there at 2:15 and the place was packed. We had the option of sitting on the side or sitting in the front. Tried the front middle, it wasn't gonna work. The side seats weren't as bad as expected.

What is the 3D like? I'm a bit worried as some 3D movies I've seen lately have looked pretty horrible. I don't know if I'm just getting used to it or not but the effect hasn't been as convincing as around the time Avatar came out.

The film definitely lacked some much needed exposition, but again, it's hard to complain about it when the story is still only a third of the way complete.

I can safely say that my thirst for new SW lore was definitely not even close to quenched by this film, and that possibly is the most disappointing thing about this movie. It was most certainly a fan service film, which is fine, I just hope that the next film brings the pace back a little bit, and adds a little bit more depth

Edited by Dan H.

The Republic is England/France 1930s toward the First Order's Nazi Germany.

Until an actual act of war has occurred and the First Order is staying to the treaty terms post ROTJ, the Republic isn't going to bother with them.

What has happened to the republic as established in RotJ? The film did not make any sense and we are immediately in a rebellion against a 'first order'.

Yeah I struggled with this too....

There was very little backstory to fill in the [roughly] 30 year hole between ROTJ and FA. Almost none at all. At the end of ROTJ what happened? It seems some Republic arose, is it the same that existed in the prequels, was it different?

And what's the deal with the First Order and the Republic, is it a galactic civil war with each entity controlling certain planets/systems? I get that the Resistance isn't officially part of the Republic, but is on it's side - that made sense. But, overall there was a serious lack of proper explanation for the institutions that were presented to us in FA.

And why did Maz have Luke's saber? And in general the new lore sort of bothered me. I don't think we saw one familiar planet? I don't think that was Yavin at the end.

And if the First Order's goal is total galactic dominance, why didn't they just fire the super star-absorber-firer weapon immediately upon its completion, it seemed Snoke suggested it as a secondary measure?

It did feel sort of formulaic a la ANH. But it didn't bother me too much. They have to come up with something more original for the bad guys' plans though, "and for our next movie, a gun that uses TWO planet's cores to fire!!!111111!11." It's juvenile. Get off the giant laser gun train.

Who was Max Von Sydow's character and what was his significance to Kylo/Luke/others?

There were less force powers than I would have liked, perhaps there will be more in the next few when our characters have more training.

So now that the bad is over with. I will say I loved it, right up there with the originals for me, I'm having trouble exactly ranking it - but I enjoyed it just as much. Daisy was terrific, John was very good, I expected Oscar Isaac to be good and he was. Harrison Ford was great, I did think Carrie has lost a bit of charisma though. And she still didn't look terribly skinny.

The action sequences were all great pretty much, it was a bit much that both Finn and Rey were able to stand up to Kylo in 1 vs. 1 duel's when neither of them had really ever held a saber before, but at least Kylo was wounded. It shows that JJ/the writers were thinking of loopholes, unlike George with the originals.

I do think Rey is Luke's daughter. There are some arguments for her being Han's, but it's not enough to convince me. Guess we sort of all saw Han's death coming, he will be missed. Luke's role in the next film will be interesting to see; I was hoping for something a bit more grandiose for his re-introduction into the saga, but the subtle way it was done worked as well on an emotional level.

Also I didn't think the Snoke/Ren combo was a particularly scary baddie duo. Kylo comes across as a confused teenager, and Snoke looked sort of like Voldemort, but not as menacing.

Overall really enjoyed it though, considering I went in with mediocre expectations. I'd give it an A-, a 9/10. Very much looking forward to the next two, and the side movies as well (hopefully some of them fill in the gaps in the story line, I know Rogue One at least is supposed to be between ROTS and ANH, I think).

Unfortunately, Wookieepedia doesn't have a whole lot of info on Lor San Tekka (Sydow's character). I agree he's one I wish we knew more about. I wish we got to see more of him also - they made a huge deal of him in the initial casting announcement, and we saw so little of him he barely had time to say his name onscreen. Anyhow, here's the little bit of info Wookieepedia has:

Lor San Tekka was an individual who lived on the Western Reachesplanet of Jakku approximately 29 years after the Battle of Jakku. San Tekka was a follower of the Church of the Force, an underground faith of loosely affiliated followers of Jedi ideals. He also knew the history of Leia Organa[2] and considered her to be royalty.[1]

He had dealings with the Resistance X-Wing pilot Poe Dameron and his droid BB-8 and kept a piece of the map to find Luke Skywalker. They were located by the First Order shortly after giving the map to Dameron, who hid it inside BB-8. Dameron was captured and BB-8 fled, while San Tekka was confronted by Kylo Ren, who killed him with his lightsaber.[1]

I just saw it, and loved it. Honestly I don't know how any star wars fan could not at least "like it", it's freaking star wars. I don't think it touches the OT, but nothing can. I know this will surprise some, but I'm not sure which film I like better sith or this one, but I've always loved Sith. But this film is not better than Jedi, I don't know how anyone can honestly say that, Jedi has (arguably) the best climax of the entire series. Besides both Luke vs Vader light saber battles will always be #1 and #2, the rest fall in behind those. That reason, and that reason alone puts Jedi a head of this film.

But having said all of that, I freaking loved every minute of this film.

My rank

1. Empire 10/10

2. Jedi 9/10

3. A new Hope 8.5/10

4. Force Awakins 8.2/10

5. Sith 8/10

6. Clone 7/10

7. Phantom menace 6.5/10

I still like and enjoy the prequels. Yes they are flawed, but they are still an important part of the overall story IMO. Sith has always been closest to the OT for me, until force Awkens. I give it a percentage points advantage over Sith. But I like Anakin vs Dooku, Yoda vs Palpatine, and Mace vs Palpatine more than Rey vs Ren. But I still enjoyed Rey vs Ren. Anakin vs Obi Wan from Sith is borderline reduculous though, brings down the film imo. But having said that, watching Anakins downfall is a very interesting chapter in the overall saga, it isn't perfect, but it isn't bad either. Clones and Phantom Menace are far more flawed than Sith is imo.

For me, Jedi falls apart in the third act. The Vader/Luke showdown is excellent of course, but I think there's just too many stories all going on at once; you've got Vader/Luke fighting in front of the Emperor, the space battle while waiting for the Death Star's shields to be lowered, Han, Leia, and company working to take down the shield generator, and the rest of the Battle of Endor all going on at once. It's too much.

I have a hard time assigning a numerical grade to the films, particularly because I know ROTS is not objectively the second best film, though it is my second favorite for personal reasons. I know it still has flaws, and while I rank it second on my favorites list, my numerical grade for it would be lower than third.

If I were to assign a numerical grade (In chronological order), I'd say:

The Phantom Menace - 6/10

Attack Of The Clones - 5/10

Revenge Of The Sith - 7.5/10

A New Hope - 9/10

The Empire Strikes Back - 10/10

Return Of The Jedi - 8/10

The Force Awakens - 8.5/10

Whereas, my favorites list, top to bottom would be:

1. The Empire Strikes Back

2. Revenge Of The Sith

3. A New Hope

4. The Force Awakens

5. Return Of The Jedi

6. The Phantom Menace

7. Attack Of The Clones

With time, maybe TFA will surpass ANH on my list, though I would by no means say it is objectively a better film.

If it isn't shot for 3/D, then I don't see it in 3/D. Simple rule

Our IMAX theatre is also not 'true' IMAX, so I won't waste my money on a ticket.

Saw it in standard digital and it was very crisp and enjoyable

Edited by Dan H.

Our IMAX theatre is also not 'true' IMAX, so I won't waste my money on a ticket.

Can you give me an ELI5 on this "true" IMAX thing? I've seen this fact mentioned here and there on Reddit, and I don't really understand it.

When I went to the 3D showing at 9:00 AM, we got there about 8:20 and got great seats. When we showed up for the 2:50 PM standard showing, we got there at 2:15 and the place was packed. We had the option of sitting on the side or sitting in the front. Tried the front middle, it wasn't gonna work. The side seats weren't as bad as expected.

What is the 3D like? I'm a bit worried as some 3D movies I've seen lately have looked pretty horrible. I don't know if I'm just getting used to it or not but the effect hasn't been as convincing as around the time Avatar came out.

Avatar was shot using specific 3/D cameras, most films are shot in digital and then converted in post to 3/D, which gives it a flimsy diarama effect, and not a full rich depth

Can you give me an ELI5 on this "true" IMAX thing? I've seen this fact mentioned here and there on Reddit, and I don't really understand it.

Looks like IMAX is 70mm, fake IMAX is digital.

http://www.slashfilm.com/qa-imax-theatre-real-imax-liemax/

Like others have said, I feel even stronger now that Snoke is Plaguis. It just all makes sense. Besides I read somewhere, early on in this films production, that this trilogy was going to bring both early trilogies and this one together even more. Which having Plaguis be in the shadows, even during Palpatiens reign just makes sense. He couldn't challenge Palpatine, especially when he had Vader by his side, so he waited him out. All the info in the thread backs up this theory. I know Abrams said "Plaguis who", but what else can he say? The two big reveals are going to be Snoke is Plaguis and Rey is Luke's daughter, they can't just give one of them away so early. But come on, it's pretty obvious.

I'm gonna call it now, Rey and Ren are going to fight at least 1 more time, maybe twice (1 in each future film, with Ren winning in episode 8). And Luke and Snoke are going to face off as the big climax in episode 9. I don't think Luke's going to die in this trilogy, Leia might, but not Luke. Luke is the most powerful Jedi of all time, he's going to be the one to take out Snoke/Plaguis. Rey and Ren are the new rivals, but they are only going to be side story, not the main one. That's why Luke isn't really in this film, they have to save him for later, introduce the new people and what not. I think Ren will either turn good before the end or Rey will kill him.

Avatar was shot using specific 3/D cameras, most films are shot in digital and then converted in post to 3/D, which gives it a flimsy diarama effect, and not a full rich depth
Oh, that would explain it then. Thanks for the info.

Poe is definitely my favorite new character. He's such a badass. From the moment right at the beginning where the First Order captures him and he says to Kylo "So how do we do this - do you talk first or do I?" I knew I was going to love him. He'll bring the sassy-ness and the charm now that Han is gone.

• Like 3

I love Poe. I think he is going to fill that void Han left. I was so pissed he was killed, but then I realize we have Poe. Oscar Isaac is a scene stealer in this.

I love how he never explains how he escaped. I've read comments how it is a huge plot hole, but I disagree. He's Poe, that's how he escaped. He's just that bad ass.

• Like 3

I love Poe. I think he is going to fill that void Han left. I was so pissed he was killed, but then I realize we have Poe. Oscar Isaac is a scene stealer in this.

I love how he never explains how he escaped. I've read comments how it is a huge plot hole, but I disagree. He's Poe, that's how he escaped. He's just that bad ass.

"He talked his way out of it, like he always does."

I took part in the predictions game on Joust (Cool site for this kind of stuff, I discovered it during the final season of Breaking Bad). There's a few questions that I'm not entirely sure on the answer to, and trying to figure out if I got them right. This was the whole list of questions:

- Will "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" make over/under $220 million in it's opening weekend? TBD, but looking like it'll be over.

- Will Luke Skywalker appear using a red lightsaber? No.

- Will Rey be revealed to be Luke's daughter? No.

- How many characters will be killed by a lightsaber, excluding deflected blaster shots (Under 4 / 4 or more)? Lor San Tekka, Han Solo, at least one Stormtrooper on Takodana - anyone else I'm missing?

- Will an entire planet be destroyed? Yes.

- Will Finn use the Force? No.

- Will Finn survive the film? Yes. (Boyega is signed on for VIII)

- Will Han, Luke, Leia, or Chewbacca be killed in the film? Yes.

- Will a lightsaber be traded, purchased, or won in a bet? No.

- Will the hyperdrive fail on the Millennium Falcon? Ambiguous - would the compressor that was installed be considered a failure?

- Will a Gungan show up in the film? No.

- Will Tatooine, Yavin (Or any of it's moons), Endor, Dagobah, Bespin, or Hoth be visited in the film? No.

- Will Alderaan be mentioned by name? No.

- Will someone appear as a Force Ghost? No.

- Will a walker of any kind be shown taking a step? Yes. (A brief, wide shot on Starkiller Base)

- Will Kylo Ren survive the film? Yes. (Driver is signed on for VIII)

- Will Luke be shown piloting a ship? No.

- Will anyone mention Midichlorians? No.

- Will Kylo Ren refer to anyone as "Master"? Not sure - did he ever refer to Snoke as "Master"?

- Will Kylo Ren Force Choke someone? Yes.

- Which name will be spoken first - Anakin, or Vader? I think it's Vader, can anyone confirm that one?

- Will Kylo Ren be revealed to be Han Solo's son? Yes.

The only ones I definitely missed were Finn using the Force and Kylo being Han's son, plus the potential to miss any of the ones I'm unsure on - I'd say I did pretty damn good. Can anyone confirm the answer to any of the ones I'm trying to fact-check?