Stairway To Heaven - Yay....or Nay....?

Ace Nova

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The members of Spirit.

So you're saying Spirit wrote the entire song? Lyrics and everything? Because I have been under the impression that Spirit wrote an instrumental that had a chord progression similar to the intro of Stairway. It was like 2 minutes long.

Spirit did not write Stairway to Heaven, it was Jimmy Page and Robert Plant. Get over it. Whether or not they were inspired by Spirit for the intro is irrelevant because the rest of the song as far as we know, is all theirs.

The members of Spirit.

So you're saying Spirit wrote the entire song? Lyrics and everything? Because I have been under the impression that Spirit wrote an instrumental that had a chord progression similar to the intro of Stairway. It was like 2 minutes long.

Spirit did not write Stairway to Heaven, it was Jimmy Page and Robert Plant. Get over it. Whether or not they were inspired by Spirit for the intro is irrelevant because the rest of the song as far as we know, is all theirs.

The intro is different enough too

Apparently the writer of the song thought that too since he never sued before he died

• Like 1

Maybe Page heard it and wrote something similar, but to call it plagiarism is retarded. Why hasn't Pachelbel's family sued, I dunno, everyone, for flat out ripping off Canon in D?

Pretty interesting that people know who Spirit is now because they sued the writers of debatably the best song of all time.

• Like 2

Spirit only inspired the intro. The amazing outro is all Page and Plant.

I listened to The Song Remains the Same version for years before I heard the studio cut, never been a fan of the album version:

They nicked the intro then? Thats the only halfway decent part of the song. Generally an awful lump of a track really.

• Like 1

ok song but for me personally, no way I could ever listen to it again....in fact, that goes for any zeppelin song

what if they recorded or released a song titled: Stairway To Salami Heaven?

debatably the best worst song of all time.

Corrected.

are you really this retarded or this is just a cheap trolling attempt?

• Like 1

ok song but for me personally, no way I could ever listen to it again....in fact, that goes for any zeppelin song

Corrected.

Cheap trolling attempt.

• Like 1

Corrected.

I do honestly think it's pretty dreadful? Does that mean I'm retarded then? :lol:

Dazed and Confused was blatant and Page is a weasel who tried to worm his way out of lifting other people's songs. I'm impartial to Whole Lotta Love because Willie Dixon's estate was already getting paid from 2 other Led Zep songs. It's only because of how often that's played that they bothered. Jake Holmes only decided to go after Led Zeppelin after being blown off and The Yardbirds crediting him a few years back. He made a point that he had money, and it wasn't about that, it was about being acknowledged and Jimmy refused to. Robert had no say because it was still Jimmy's band and he got no songwriting credit for years from the first album. Beck was jealous and furious at Jimmy but he went in a whole other direction as a musician.

• Like 1

Maybe Page heard it and wrote something similar, but to call it plagiarism is retarded. Why hasn't Pachelbel's family sued, I dunno, everyone, for flat out ripping off Canon in D?

Pretty interesting that people know who Spirit is now because they sued the writers of debatably the best song of all time.

Great post.

It's kind of the "edgy" thing the cool kids do now days.

Zep stole all their work.

You can't like Sammy Hagar in Van Halen.

GnR isn't GnR without Slash.

People can't just sit back and enjoy a song or band anymore. They always have to be outraged about something. Stairway is generally considered one of the best - if not the best - rock song of all time. Hence - people will rail against it so they can appear more intelligent than those mindless mainstream fans.

All musicians steal from the people that inspired them. The most talented ones take those pieces of inspiration and turn them into amazing music of their own. I could steal a racecar that has a top speed of 200 mph, but I couldn't win the Indy 500 with it. I'd crash on the first lap.

• Like 1

Well I happen to agree about Van Hagar. I like Sammy's solo stuff.

I admit, Zep ripped off a lot, but when that drum fill rips in to the climax at the end, that's pure Zep.

There are TONS of songs that you can layer over another and they sound the same, at the intro. 12 notes on the musical scale, people, pretty limited vocabulary.

• Like 2

There are TONS of songs that you can layer over another and they sound the same, at the intro. 12 notes on the musical scale, people, pretty limited vocabulary.

How many Metallica songs can you count from that? Seek and Destroy, Four Horsemen, Sandman...

That's one listen.

• Like 2