The Official SOCCER Thread 2015/2016

The Sandman

4 hours ago, wasted said:

Can't think of anywhere I like to live in the UK other than Bristol. Maybe it is those stereotypes in

the other big cities is just tiresome. Although Bristol has the alright my lover types. But they seem so harmless and cider enhanced. It's rough I suppose but it's not got that historical nonsense. Also skunk. 

Fell asleep on the train once on the way back from Cardiff to Newport. I woke up about 4am in the next station down from Temple Meads. No money, primitive phone. It was back in about 2000 when we had the full lunar eclipse, so I ended up watching that with some sainsbury staff on a fag break until I reversed the charges on my mate who thought it'd be a laugh to not wake me and told him he'd better get in his car quick.

I went to my parents house today, 70 minutes into the game, then Crystal Palace scored and were winning 1 0 over Manchester United, then I found out it was the FA Cup final.... And Crystal Palace were in it!? Wow..

That didn't last long, I saw pretty much every goal live and where I was was so close to Selhurst Park; they opened Selhurst Park and showed the final live from Wembley, not sure if it was free though. - I saw it on the TV, my brother was there watching it..

I went to my parents house to see my family which by chance is a stone's throw away from Selhurst Park, what I didn't plan on was Palace being in the final of the FA Cup. - That was cool... Even had hope there too of winning it, for a bit.

Edited by Snake-Pit

9 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Cary Grant anyone. You'll unfortunately have to support Gloucestershire.

Do they play tests around Bristol, I remember aussie bogans flooding bristol in the summer. Worcester is alright, too nice though. It's not the backdrop to Welcome to the Jungle you want. 

Bristol: The graveyard of ambition.

there were this east london girls and they thought Bristol was nothern.

They used to ask me where my whippet and flat cap was and talk about warm beer. Gold hoop earrings. A night out with them generally resulted in them fighting other girls at chucking out. Then they'd dance on car roofs on the way home. I used to decline going outwith them to play Doom on my PC. They did say West Supermare a lot. 

7 minutes ago, wasted said:

Do they play tests around Bristol, I remember aussie bogans flooding bristol in the summer. Worcester is alright, too nice though. It's not the backdrop to Welcome to the Jungle you want. 

Bristol: The graveyard of ambition.

there were this east london girls and they thought Bristol was nothern.

They used to ask me where my whippet and flat cap was and talk about warm beer. Gold hoop earrings. A night out with them generally resulted in them fighting other girls at chucking out. Then they'd dance on car roofs on the way home. I used to decline going outwith them to play Doom on my PC. They did say West Supermare a lot. 

I think the County Ground just host One-Dayers.

Something like that. Lots of people leaving early to get in free.

And in Leeds also people took the week off work.

I only did that for WC. But I'd go in to sign in and then go home only to return later. Never worth it. 

Are you honestly going to sack your manager after winning the FA Cup - in fact, don't answer that? I think there was a Chelsea manager who had his team in the European final, losing to mere penalties, and was sacked! A few of the Madrid coaches have been sacked with a sackful of trophies!

Edited by DieselDaisy

35 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Are you honestly going to sack your manager after winning the FA Cup - in fact, don't answer that? I think there was a Chelsea manager who had his team in the European final, losing to mere penalties, and was sacked! A few of the Madrid coaches have been sacked with a sackful of trophies!

That was Avram Grant, he was never in their long term plans. The more insulting one was Roberto Di Matteo, who won the FA Cup and Champions League in May 2012, sacked by November.

23 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

He is still not good enough. Just look at the horrid way they've been playing all season.

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

He is still not good enough. Just look at the horrid way they've been playing all season.

This says otherwise,

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

This says otherwise,

How you have come to the conclusion that posting the previous merits of LvG will somehow refute my statement that the team has played awfully this year and that they haven't done enough, is beyond me.

Just now, SoulMonster said:

How you have come to the conclusion that posting the previous merits of LvG will somehow refute my statement that the team has played awfully this year and that they haven't done enough, is beyond me.

You have to bed managers in, allow them to build their team. Wasn't Fergie losing everything in his first few seasons?

Just to show how stupid the policy of sacking managers is, Mourinho was sacked from Chelsea for being shit in a very similar manner. So - by your own logic - you are merely replacing one premiership dud for another dud!

I think they should hang on to LVG, i think he has quality as a manager, these guys should be afforded the oppertunity to bed in a bit, people forget even the Fergies of this world didnt win titles straight away, his first piece of silverware was after 3 seasons if im not mistaken.

30 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

You have to bed managers in, allow them to build their team. Wasn't Fergie losing everything in his first few seasons?

Just to show how stupid the policy of sacking managers is, Mourinho was sacked from Chelsea for being shit in a very similar manner. So - by your own logic - you are merely replacing one premiership dud for another dud!

I generally agree with you. Managers should get enough time for all their changes to be successfully implemented. Things take time, we need to give them time and space. Being impatient is not the right thing here. It is ridiculous how managers are sacked before they have barely moved into their offices.

BUT! His playing style is awful. Even if they manage to do okay with him, I would still hate it because that is not how I want the team to play and work. It is boring. It is not something to be enthusiastic about. They have the ost backwards passes in the league. The second most sideways passes (?). It is uninspiring. It is anti-Manchester United football. he might be able to tweak things to get slightly better results, but I don't care, he has already shown the direction he wants to move the team in playing-wise, and if the team takes that direction I take another.

Besides, the players apparently hate him. He has got to go.

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

I generally agree with you. Managers should get enough time for all their changes to be successfully implemented. Things take time, we need to give them time and space. Being impatient is not the right thing here. It is ridiculous how managers are sacked before they have barely moved into their offices.

BUT! His playing style is awful. Even if they manage to do okay with him, I would still hate it because that is not how I want the team to play and work. It is boring. It is not something to be enthusiastic about. They have the ost backwards passes in the league. The second most sideways passes (?). It is uninspiring. It is anti-Manchester United football. he might be able to tweak things to get slightly better results, but I don't care, he has already shown the direction he wants to move the team in playing-wise, and if the team takes that direction I take another.

Do they still hate him after winning the FACup. 

A manager needs 3 years to really be judged. 

I think you can't play champagne football in 4 competetions and internationals. Maybe when they start winning you have those home games that are 4-1. But away will always be a grind. Even Leicester grind out 1-0s. Leicester were a freak show so Utd lost out. 

4 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

This says otherwise,

Do you remember what that Ajax team looked like? Edgar Davids, Seedorf, Van der Sar, Rijkaard, and Kluivert before his career self destructed (pre Newcastle) among others.

Winning the German league with Munich at the time wasn't as impressive when you consider their competition.

As for Barcelona... that was a side with Luis fucking Figo and an at his peak Rivaldo... with players coming from the youth like Xavi and Puyol.

As for the world cup... yep, they beat Spain thanks to Iker's blunders. However they got knocked out the first time they played a top team in the knock out stages - Argentina (who didn't exactly play like world beaters themselves).

I'm not saying he wasn't a decent coach, but their are serious question marks over those trophies.

4 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Well you are getting an attacking merchant in Jose haha.

27 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

Do you remember what that Ajax team looked like? Edgar Davids, Seedorf, Van der Sar, Rijkaard, and Kluivert before his career self destructed (pre Newcastle) among others.

Winning the German league with Munich at the time wasn't as impressive when you consider their competition.

As for Barcelona... that was a side with Luis fucking Figo and an at his peak Rivaldo... with players coming from the youth like Xavi and Puyol.

As for the world cup... yep, they beat Spain thanks to Iker's blunders. However they got knocked out the first time they played a top team in the knock out stages - Argentina (who didn't exactly play like world beaters themselves).

I'm not saying he wasn't a decent coach, but their are serious question marks over those trophies.

Yet there are enough celebrated 'groupings of marquee players' that have flopped, or are seen as having flopped, such as Real Madrid's Galácticos and England's 'Golden Generation', to prove that it is not as simple as the glitzier the players, the more successful the team.

Actually those Madrid Galaticos did pretty okay from 2000 (when they were called that, 2 European Cups/Leagues) until a 2/3 of the way through 2003/2004 when the famous collapse happened (losing 6/7 of their last league games) and they through away like a 12 point gap... sold a certain French defensive midfielder who became Jose's most important player first time around at Chelsea.

I don't know if anyone remembers that team that took the pitch against United in 2002/2003, but that was a pretty fucking good football team. The team in 2004 was not, injured struggling for fitness Ronaldo... past it Raul and with David Beckham played as a deffensive midfielder since their was no one else.

Golden Generation barely lost competitive games and got knocked out of tournaments on penalties against Portugal for example who had their own golden generation, to Brazil who won the World Cup. The Generation ended post 2006 and you see what Claren done when he tried to replace certain players.

Edited by AtariLegend

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Well you are getting an attacking merchant in Jose haha.

Mourinho is not my first choice, either :/

Generally I dislike the focus on "premium managers" and their exaggerated role, and how they are recycled from team to team. How much was Mourinho paid to NOT take a new job while Manchester United was deliberating to hire him? Obscene amounts of money. That money alone could be spent to hire a less known but equally competent manager for a whole year. Madness.

12 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Jumpers for goalposts, leather balls and halftime oranges is what he's looking at, wistfully.

• Like 1