What's the Best G n' R Book You Have Read?

I remember a lot of people not liking it could have been fact checked and edited better but I really liked "Watch You Bleed".  I thought it really captured how big and fucking awesome Guns N' Roses were. It was insane how fucking popular they were.. From 87-91 they were hands down the Led Zeppelin of their time.

They were still huge after that but things were changing. They gained more mainstream fans but were losing touch with others at the same time.

I absolutely like the first Mick Wall book the best. It's good. "Guns n' Roses - The most Dangerous Band in the World". It was written at that time and day I really like it. Mick was a huge Guns fan and I enjoyed the read. Bits and pieces are used in W.A.R. so I think there was no real need for the latter.

Love Robert John, George Chin, Marc Canter, and I like Mark Putterford. There are more books with great photos and excerpts of magazine articles. I got them all, but never got Slash's or Duff's book. Might get them eventually. I don't think I'm all that interested in Steven's book, though.

And quite frankly, I think Graig Duswalt's book is the biggest waist of paper. I found Danny Sugerman's Appetite for Destruction rather tough to read.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aranrod said:

I found Danny Sugerman's Appetite for Destruction rather tough to read.

I was loaned this book to read in my early 20s by a colleague who was about 15 years or so older than me and I too found it a tough read, but me being 10 years older now I think I wanna give it another try.

Really want to track down close to new copies of Robert John and George Chin's photo books to add to my two versions of Reckless Road.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blake Sabbath said:

I was loaned this book to read in my early 20s by a colleague who was about 15 years or so older than me and I too found it a tough read, but me being 10 years older now I think I wanna give it another try.

Really want to track down close to new copies of Robert John and George Chin's photo books to add to my two versions of Reckless Road.

I gave it a few more tries, but I got stuck half way because my mind wanders off. Once was enough for me, I reckon. :D

Edited by aranrod
Typos

Hi everyone! I've been around here for a few months, but only now I feel comfortable to answer something at this forum. And sorry for any mistakes, English is not my first language.

I only read Slash's, Duff's and Steven's books, in that order. Rather than saying that one is my favorite over the other two, or that one is better than the other two, I prefer to see them as three different points of view, coming from three guys with VERY different goals.

Even though Slash's book is not as personal as Duff's, I think it is a good book, considering that its goal is not to expose the deep thoughs and emotions of Slash, but "setting the record straight" about his departure from GNR. Whether all the facts are true or not, that's another story, but you can see that his focus is to explain why he left Guns and everything in between. Considering that, I think that the book does what it promises.

Duff's book, on the other hand, is an attemptive of exorcizing his demons of the past and showing who Michael Andrew McKagan really is. It is, by far, the deepest and darkest from all three, and the one which deserves the label "autobiography" the most. Maybe this is why so many people like this book.

Steven's book, as it seems to me, is more similar to Duff's on its goal, yet it also tries to clarify (or not!) what happen during his five years as the GNR drummer. In terms of facts, it is the less reliable of all three, but c'mon - not only Steven, but Slash and Duff were totally fucked up by alcohol and drugs back in the day...

After reading all of these bios, I'd do ANYTHING to see Axl writing his own book about his life. Not only because I also want to see his point of view about everything that happened in all details, but also because his life story is something else. He is incredibly inteligent, and a storyteller by nature (IMO). To talk about his fears, his tragedies and glories would be really something. I hope he does this one day!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, the-estranged-girl said:

Hi everyone! I've been around here for a few months, but only now I feel comfortable to answer something at this forum. And sorry for any mistakes, English is not my first language.

I only read Slash's, Duff's and Steven's books, in that order. Rather than saying that one is my favorite over the other two, or that one is better than the other two, I prefer to see them as three different points of view, coming from three guys with VERY different goals.

Even though Slash's book is not as personal as Duff's, I think it is a good book, considering that its goal is not to expose the deep thoughs and emotions of Slash, but "setting the record straight" about his departure from GNR. Whether all the facts are true or not, that's another story, but you can see that his focus is to explain why he left Guns and everything in between. Considering that, I think that the book does what it promises.

Duff's book, on the other hand, is an attemptive of exorcizing his demons of the past and showing who Michael Andrew McKagan really is. It is, by far, the deepest and darkest from all three, and the one which deserves the label "autobiography" the most. Maybe this is why so many people like this book.

Steven's book, as it seems to me, is more similar to Duff's on its goal, yet it also tries to clarify (or not!) what happen during his five years as the GNR drummer. In terms of facts, it is the less reliable of all three, but c'mon - not only Steven, but Slash and Duff were totally fucked up by alcohol and drugs back in the day...

After reading all of these bios, I'd do ANYTHING to see Axl writing his own book about his life. Not only because I also want to see his point of view about everything that happened in all details, but also because his life story is something else. He is incredibly inteligent, and a storyteller by nature (IMO). To talk about his fears, his tragedies and glories would be really something. I hope he does this one day!

This is a great reply.

Forgive me it has been a while since I have read any of them and I think the order I read them was Duff- Steve- Slash or it might have been Steven- Slash- Duff. I don't actually remember, I read them all in the same weekend. Duff's seemed more self-reflective. A look at his journey through life about who he is and who helped make him that way. Kind of reminded me motivational speakers more than anything. I know I read Steven's before Slash's because Steven's was just so... sad? Reading Slash's after Stevens made Steven's seem even more so to me. It has been too long since I have read them so I can't say for sure why I felt that way. Steven's book gave the impression that he wasn't in it for the music like the others. He was in it for the partying that music scene made available to him.  

I need to find the books and read them again.

I really, really want both Izzy and Axl to write autobiographies. I think they would have fascinating, unique stories to tell like the others. Probably will never happen with Izzy, but there is a chance Axl may get a wild hair and do it. It would be amazing.

I have plans to read the unofficial biographies some day just to say I did, but haven't got around to them yet.

On 1/30/2015 at 10:54 PM, stella said:

Yep. They didn't care that he took drugs; they cared that he took drugs to the point where he was too screwed up to play. Pretty much all of the former band members have supported and justified Steven's firing and have said that he was too wasted to work for extended periods of time. In Duff's book he even mentions threatening Steven's dealer with a gun to try to stop him from using, and it didn't help.

Totally agree. Adler's book pissed me off. I'm glad I read a borrowed copy and didn't buy it. Everything in the book was just about how wonderful he was and how awful they were to fire him. He doesn't take responsibility for one damn thing in his own life, or so it seems.

And then there's the matter that has been mentioned in other threads: that Adler and his people totally screwed over the guy who originally ghostwrote the book for him, and didn't give that author credit or payment for the work.

I watched the BBC doc last night for the first time and my jaw dropped when Steven said if he'd been the drummer at the St. Louis concert, he could've stopped the riot from happening. I was pretty gobsmacked at that. I've read a lot of the stupid shit he's said, and I heard his most recent interview on Trunk -- "naw, I'll kill THEM har har har" -- and I was still shocked to hear him say if he'd been there, he would've played his drums and kept them from rioting. Because apparently that didn't occur to Sorum.

• Like 2

On 1/29/2015 at 5:43 PM, acor said:

Didn't read Reckles Road yet, plan to purchase this since ages, I heard its more of a photo book, and Im not interested in photos at all... Is this worthy for the text alone ?

Anyone have any opinions on this? I've not read it either yet

slash, duff and steven's bio are pretty much a given. reckless road was great for the pics and other bits. i also likes "watch you bleed" as a more encompassing history of the band.

i found steven's bio very entertaining. you could tell that steven "still" has that (self) destructive rock n roll lifestyle that he had in the old days. reading slash's and duff"s books, i got the impression that they were telling stories of past times, while in steven's case the destruction was still very much happening. this made the book and the voice more authentic, more real. slash and duff had to speak from memory, steven was still living that life back then.

39 minutes ago, Bennis said:

i liked the gig-specific quotes from the band on stage. i found that a big asset of the book apart from the pics

5 hours ago, Bennis said:

IMHO Reckless Road is worth it for the text, yes. As someone else mentioned there are a lot of gig-specific notes, and it's interesting to read about what was happening with each specific show. They also have a lot of interviews with some of the people from the early days that don't usually speak to the media, and those are really engaging too. And the provenance of the material/interviews matters, too -- since it's from someone who was actually friends with the band (and still is friends w/at least some of them) and not a reporter or a hanger-on, it's far more fact-checked and accurate than some of the other books out there.

Read Slash's. He doesn't half know how to name-drop. But I suppose when you grow up in that kind of area, everyone does know everybody. However it's a satisfying read as it shed light on what happened with him leaving GN'R, which we didn't know beforehand. Reckless Road is by far the best GN'R book in terms of content and production quality. I read "In Their Own Words" years ago, which was a bit naff, but I didn't care, I was 14. 

Still yet to read Duff's. Though I'm told he talks much of his love of mountain biking in it. I suggested to my former boss (who had read his book and loves GN'R) that we get an interview with Duff specifically about his riding for the mag/website I worked for. Because the bike industry is totally separate from music, I don't think my boss could even begin to fathom how to get in contact with him. (Plus, it's not the most relevant thing for the magazine, though it would just be awesome). 

Read Duff's book which was a nice read and also Slash's book.

Slash's book was a super fun read. So many cool stories, with my favorite characters. Like a comic book without the pictures that is based on a true story.

Edit: going to read Duff's second book. If it's like the first one it will be a good read. Still didn't get to Adler's book. Eventually will get to it.

Edited by Rovim

On 14 February 2016 at 10:02 PM, Archtop said:

The book I asked about in an earlier post is Dust and Bones, The untold story of Izzy Stradlin, by Jake Brown. Anyone read this book? I havn't seen or heard it mentioned before. 

I thought it got cancelled or unreleased?

10 hours ago, wasted said:

I thought it got cancelled or unreleased?

Possibly, it looks like it was on Amazon in 2005.  If publications were made I'm surprised it can't be picked up on eBay. However a quick google of the book and it defiantly looks like if it ever was published it was garbage, the author also comes across as a bit of a charlatan. So perhaps Izzy managed to get it withdrawn?

I really enjoyed Slash and Duff's autobiographies, agreeing with the general consensus that Duff's come off as a more personal tale. Slash gives good info on the band as a whole, Duff is more about how he fit into the band. Haven't read Steven's.

A few things I've read since question some of Slash's recollections - for example when in the book he says he quit and gave no indication of returning, but others didn't see it like that (can't remember exact phrasing, it has been a while). There are interviews from 1997 and 1999 where he contradicts that, saying something to the effect of 'it's like a long break, if we can work it out I'll be back'.

Watch You Bleed has its flaws. There are factual errors. But it's an engrossing read. I'll randomly pick out a few paragraphs from it and then see myself going on for pages. Maybe because of the story he's telling - it was a whirlwind decade, after all.

9 hours ago, Archtop said:

Possibly, it looks like it was on Amazon in 2005.  If publications were made I'm surprised it can't be picked up on eBay. However a quick google of the book and it defiantly looks like if it ever was published it was garbage, the author also comes across as a bit of a charlatan. So perhaps Izzy managed to get it withdrawn?

There are a few copies out there which were shipped by Amazon early but the book was pulled so very few exist. The reviews from the few diehard Izzy fans who have the book were terrible. The author basically stole fan-transcribed interviews, did no spell checking or fact checking (including spelling Izzys name wrong on the very first page lol). When the first review got posted on the Izzy board the author actually signed up and called us "all fuckin' trekkies" :lol: A few more bad reviews followed and then the book got pulled without explanation.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2016 at 9:33 AM, Italian girl said:

my favourite book in It's so easy and other lies. i read it twice

That's my fav as well! You should read Duff's second book too, it's as good as It's So Easy And Other Lies.

Hope he put out a third one as well. I like his writing style, he could write about whatever he wants and I would just read it anyway, lol

• Like 1

Duff's It's So Easy (And Other Lies) and Reckless Road.
I guess I just like Duff's better than Slash's because he seems like the nicest guy ever. I love the way he talks about the his bandmates. Aaand he's the coolest.

Anyone read How To Be a Man (And Other Illusions)?

Edit: oops, just saw the replies above. I can't find this one to buy here in Brazil.

Edited by emybdc

i only have Reckless but i haven't actually set down and "read it" yet...just looked at the pictures

ive read allot from Slash's book online like the time the he was tripping and run way from little blue men

the one about Izzy arriving in Chicago, seeing Axl flipping out and turning the car around and going back to Indiana was pretty hilarious

i can so picture Izzy coming down the street and seeing Axl throwing food out the window at people below and him quietly turning the car around and going home

Edited by -W.A.R-

16 hours ago, emybdc said:

Duff's It's So Easy (And Other Lies) and Reckless Road.
I guess I just like Duff's better than Slash's because he seems like the nicest guy ever. I love the way he talks about the his bandmates. Aaand he's the coolest.

Anyone read How To Be a Man (And Other Illusions)?

Edit: oops, just saw the replies above. I can't find this one to buy here in Brazil.

They didn't publish yet in Portuguese. I'm Brazilian too, but I had to buy the English version on Amazon.

I'm still reading it, and it is a good book (not as good as ISE, IMO, but, still, a good book). It's more like a collection of Duff's articles on Seattle Weekly. It focus a lot on his life post-GNR. Maybe the most interesting part regarding to the band is when he described his "reunion" with Axl in 2014 for the South American tour.