Should the band perform Velvet Revolver songs?

Should the band perform Velvet Revolver songs?  

139 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I love Slash solo work and VR, specially contraband and thought they put a good show on... Well except for Weiland announcing the end of the band and disappearing for a fews songs but i don't want them to be playing those songs as it a Guns N' Roses show. I actually have more interest in how slash will play Chinese Democracy etc 

They are already rehearsing two fake-Guns songs with hacks like Frank and Fortus, so If you want to make this turd of a 'reunion' or 'rebranding' or whatever it is called even worse than it already appears, you may as well include some turds from Contraband. Pay your £2000 VIPs and sit there watching Shackler's and Slither.

Not Slash, not Velvet Revolver.  Unless Duff takes the lead vocals for those songs (or even a guest appearance by Myles Kennedy lol or he could be the third guitar player). Bumblefoot and Tommy did have solo songs on the setlist but they also sang them themselves. 

I wouldn't mind songs from his other bands, and also from Duff. A few songs from The Taking or Beautiful Disease would be good.

I mean why not, they'll be drawing fans from all over. There are VR fans who were never GNR fans, who may go see the band. If they want to fill stadiums it's something to consider.

And it's clearly not a reunion if Izzy and Steven aren't there. So why be so precious. Frank and Fortus are there, Pittman could even still be involved and CD will probably get played. So this regrouping might as well become a retrospect of all their work, as well as some new Guns material.

Can they? YES - It's their choice

Will they?  NO - Please, Axl will not agree to that

Should they? NO - Why in the hell would they? This is a GnR show not an anthology of the history of all its members.  Stick to GnR material please.

Would I like to hear them play any VR or Slash or anything else?  NO, I want to hear them play GnR material for christ sake.

10 hours ago, axlslash said:

Oh, if we're just talking as covers and not because of who is in the band, then even more reason not to. Holy shit, there are so many better bands to cover out there. So many more AC/DC songs they could do, they could do some Stones, they could do some Zeppelin. Why bother with Snakepit and VR when there are so many better covers to do?

Because there are fans that want to hear VR and Snakepit songs with Axl singing. 

9 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

Can they? YES - It's their choice

Will they?  NO - Please, Axl will not agree to that

Should they? NO - Why in the hell would they? This is a GnR show not an anthology of the history of all its members.  Stick to GnR material please.

Would I like to hear them play any VR or Slash or anything else?  NO, I want to hear them play GnR material for christ sake.

????????????

8 minutes ago, jmapelian said:

Because there are fans that want to hear VR and Snakepit songs with Axl singing. 

IMO they already play too many covers. Adding more would be crazy. Sort of like releasing the CD remix album instead of CD2. 

If you had to pick would you choose five brand new songs or five covers from Loaded, VR and Snake Pit?

If Slash was planning on stopping his solo career, maybe I'd say to play some Slash material at the guns shows... but he isn't. As for VR? What's the point? Yeah, there's members that cross over from band to band... but It's a different band! all it would say is that this tour is built on nothing and they don't have material enough to fill a set so they pool from Solo & other projects. What about loaded, walking papers etc. do they have to play that music too?

The only reason Chinese material is making it past the gate is because it's under the GnR name. 

If I had to choose Either Slash or VR, I'd go with Slash solo from 2010 - present. I voted no for both though as it should be a show filled with GnR music, and yes, that includes CD (whether you like it or not).

"If they want to fill stadiums it's something to consider." Ha! VR were playing much much smaller venues by the time they finished.They started big and petered out. Playing VR songs would have no real (positive) impact on sales or the GnR show.

Edited by Tom2112

2 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

If Slash was planning on stopping his solo career, maybe I'd say to play some Slash material at the guns shows... but he isn't. As for VR? What's the point? Yeah, there's members that cross over from band to band... but It's a different band! all it would say is that this tour is built on nothing and they don't have material enough to fill a set so they pool from Solo & other projects. What about loaded, walking papers etc. do they have to play that music too?

The only reason Chinese material is making it past the gate is because it's under the GnR name. 

If I had to choose Either Slash or VR, I'd go with Slash solo from 2010 - present. I voted no for both though as it should be a show filled with GnR music, and yes, that includes CD (whether you like it or not).

Why "should it include CD material".  I mean I agree with you that I don't necessarily have a problem with songs from that album being played.  But, lots of bands have lots of albums that they don't play any tunes from for a variety of reasons including that the fact that there isn't anything worth playing on those particular albums.  

1 minute ago, tsinindy said:

Why "should it include CD material".  I mean I agree with you that I don't necessarily have a problem with songs from that album being played.  But, lots of bands have lots of albums that they don't play any tunes from for a variety of reasons including that the fact that there isn't anything worth playing on those particular albums.  

I don't necessarily mean the show has to included CD material all the time. It can and should be left out of the set from time to time, there's certain markets that did and didn't like it as much. 

For me CD material is important because even though Slash and Duff didn't play on it, it's still relatively new music in comparison to AFD or UYI... if they go out and just play those 30yr old songs... people will be stoked, but it doesn't really strengthen the defence that this is anything creative going forward, or that there's actual peace between band members. If Axl and Slash are cool, then seeing Slash playing CD songs with Axl would be kinda like an unspoken acknowledgment of that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I don't necessarily mean the show has to included CD material all the time. It can and should be left out of the set from time to time, there's certain markets that did and didn't like it as much. 

For me CD material is important because even though Slash and Duff didn't play on it, it's still relatively new music in comparison to AFD or UYI... if they go out and just play those 30yr old songs... people will be stoked, but it doesn't really strengthen the defence that this is anything creative going forward, or that there's actual peace between band members. If Axl and Slash are cool, then seeing Slash playing CD songs with Axl would be kinda like an unspoken acknowledgment of that.

You stated that really well.  I actually agree with that, didn't think I would either because I really don't want to hear anything from that album.  But, you make a great point!

I say Why not? VR and Slash's solo albums have some great songs too.

If Izzy and Steven are involved then their songs should be played. Gotta Say and Sweet Caress are amazing songs.

Alive from Adlers Appetite is the closest AFD song we could hear. Fading is a great song too and many great songs from Back from the dead.  

• Like 1

Personally, I've always said if people want CD songs played, VR songs should also be fair game. When talking about Axl, Slash and Duff GNR, both of those albums fall under the same amount of GNR percentage in my book. If you play CD, I feel its only right to play VR as well.

So its a yes if CD is in the set. If they don't play any CD, then I can understand why it should be strictly classic GNR songs. I think the two go hand in hand though. If they were to bust out a VR song, I think it would only be right that Slash is given the chance to play TWAT. Likewise, if they play This I Love, they should also be playing Slither. I'll be interested to see how much push and pull Duff and Slash give to that topic. I assume they just won'cupcake over and accept Axl, but then again things have happened on this tour I wouldn't have thought already.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, axlslash said:

Go to the record store. There, right along side all other Guns N' Roses albums, is Chinese Democracy. 

Let's be real. Whens the last time you've ever seen Chinese in a store. Can't even recall the last time I have 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tsinindy said:

You stated that really well.  I actually agree with that, didn't think I would either because I really don't want to hear anything from that album.  But, you make a great point!

What can I say :D I have rare moments of clarity.

14 hours ago, TheSeeker said:

When The Eagles reunited, they incorporated Don Henley songs that were popular like "Boys of Summer" and "Dirty Laundry" into their sets since the band hadn't produced any new music in the time they were apart.

Since Axl is having the band do Chinese Democracy-era material, would it be fair that he should let the band perform some of their hits that happened during the break?

No, it wouldn't be fair to add VR songs to the setlist BECAUSE they might play CD songs. The crucial difference being that CD songs are actual GN'R songs.

As for your question, sure, I wouldn't mind hearing GN'R play a few VR songs.

• Like 2