Gilby Clarke interview regarding reunion

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

I'd take Gilby any day over Fortus. Fortus is a showboat.. Don't need that in a rhythm guitarist.

Golby can't play guitar these days. I saw him for free on one of his solo shows... not to mention that he was the DJ Ashba of the UYI line up

Completely useless

So that being said, 4tus is superior

Izzy would be the best, though

8 minutes ago, Strange Broue said:

Golby can't play guitar these days. I saw him for free on one of his solo shows... not to mention that he was the DJ Ashba of the UYI line up

Completely useless

So that being said, 4tus is superior

Izzy would be the best, though

He did just fine at the Rock N' Roll Hall Of Fame..

13 hours ago, wasted said:

I think it's just Fortus can write with Axl and play with Slash. 

If it was a reunion Gilby makes more sense. But it's not it seems. I would go Izzy for a real reunion or Fortus for a new record which has been in the pipeline maybe. Putting a UYI touring  line up back together seems a little vague. It's like low level nostalgia. Nobody really aches for that line up. It's more the original 5, and Axl doesn't seem to think it's possible. If they bring Gilby back now to write what was the problem way back when?

I actually reckon Izzy does his songs better solo than with Guns, his aesethetic works with his songs. Its weird to have off beat aloof songs in a stadium band. It's a Keef solo spot then back to the anthems. It's a cameo for Izzy but he's more talented than that from his solo work. 

I feel like Fortus has something to offer recording wise. Live he has a visual presence they might need with 2 guitarists. He has some chemistry with Axl from his version of Heaven's door at Vegas I saw. 

Fortus can write with Axl on what Basis?

He has exactly 0 writing credits on CD, he only appears on 5 songs! He's spent most of his career filling in for people in bands - I have no problem with him but he's written very little of note.

1 minute ago, The Real McCoy said:

Bring Gilby in as the third guitarist if Izzy doesn't want to do it.

I still say that he should have been inducted in to the RRHOF with the rest of them.

No more 3rd guitarists in Guns n' Roses.. That era failed..

6 minutes ago, life_247 said:

Fortus can write with Axl on what Basis?

He has exactly 0 writing credits on CD, he only appears on 5 songs! He's spent most of his career filling in for people in bands

I love this reply! 

• Like 1

Gilby is awesome. Granted, he's got a lot in his corner that helps his case. He was there during the classic period, he's made some great songs on his own, he's always seemed like a classy dude that just likes playing music and having fun. I never sense an ego with the guy. Granted, he hasn't done MUCH that the Nu guys haven't done. He was in the classic period, which is nothing more than timing than anything else, he's made some great songs on his own, just as Tommy and some of the others have solo, and he seems like a fun guy, which personally I've always felt Richard and Bumble and a few others seem like as well.

There's no real reason TO include him other than the fact that he was simply a right kind of time guy. He added nothing that Richard or anyone else couldn't. Having said that, I still love the guy and just cause I didn't live through it means I'd always rather anyone from the 93 or earlier period to get the nod before new members. Not that its necessarily fair, but just that thats the band I remember. Although as I've said many times, Richard was the ONE guy I did like in Axl's band, so if we're between him and Gilby we're grasping for straws. There's no difference between them and admittedly Richard does make way more sense.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Philipm787 said:

And what did Gilby write in Guns? No reason to have gilby over fortus imo and fortus is a better guitarist?

This. I get to some people that gilby being in would be more nostalgic and that fortus was a part of the new band so he's apparently some axl "yes man", but the fact of the matter is, slash wanted fortus in his own band a couple of years ago. Funny enough slash hasn't asked gilby to be in a band of his in over 20 years.. Hmmm I wonder.

Fortus is a good guitar player, he's been in GNR since 2002 and I think it's fine he's staying. I want the best band they can put together not just a nostalgia act for the sake of it. It's not 1993

Edited by Billsfan
  • Like 2

No, but Slash thought enough of him to have him play the R&RHOF with them and it sounded awesome.

I'd take Fortus over Frank and Shitman every day of the week. I do think he is a bit of a showboat and I hope his ego is ok with taking a backseat now that Slash is back. He doesn't need to be all flashy and posing while improvising on songs that aren't his anymore.

I don't think there is any mad push for Gilby anyway.. I would say more people prefer him over Fortus but the travesty is that Izzy doesn't seem to be involved.

1 hour ago, Philipm787 said:

And what did Gilby write in Guns? No reason to have gilby over fortus imo and fortus is a better guitarist?

More legitimacy with the old gnr era. Fortus is nugnr. Whether you agree or not, Nugnr, and the members of Nugnr, is basically tantamount to bowel cancer, combined with a healthy dose of AIDS, for many returning fans. Besides, I've yet to see evidence that Fortus is in fact a ''better guitarist''; he certainly has not written an album as good as Pawnshop Guitars in his lifetime (because he has been too busy being a hack).

Gilby might be in the pubs now but at least he got one great album under his belt.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

More legitimacy with the old gnr era. Fortus is nugnr. Whether you agree or not, Nugnr, and the members of Nugnr, is basically tantamount to bowel cancer, combined with a healthy dose of AIDS, for many returning fans. Besides, I've yet to see evidence that Fortus is in fact a ''better guitarist''; he certainly has not written an album as good as Pawnshop Guitars in his lifetime (because he has been too busy being a hack).

Gilby might be in the pubs now but at least he got one great album under his belt.

Out of likes, but agree with all of this. I'm not quite THAT critical of Fortus, but on a whole that is how I feel.

5 hours ago, trqster said:

Gilby Clarke more important than his writing or playing abilities , he's got something that Fortus can only dream of having: a real kick-ass rocker mojo.  

I'm sorry but i failed to see the logic here in your post....

He is as fat as Axl these days and can't really play guitar anymore

If that's what you call real kick-ass rocker mojo, then i rest my case...

Maybe i'm an elitist because if i wanna see a band then i fully expect that every member can play their parts  better than a 12 year old bedroom guitar player

5 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

He did just fine at the Rock N' Roll Hall Of Fame..

He doesn't deserve to be there on the stage in the first place....

Edited by Strange Broue

17 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Pawnshop Guitars is probably the most boring solo album of the 90's

For thr NUGNR part: this is another version of NUGNR whether you agree or not

Slash and Duff and Axl needs the cash so bad, that they wouldn't want to include the other major songwriter in this reunion.... and that says a lot. Slash and Duff are agreed of being employees

This is the sad reality

But a few years back NOBODY in their right mind imagine Axl and Slash on the same stage ever again....

Then you got this

Take it or leave, imho

Too much bitching

Edited by Strange Broue

41 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I understand all your points, but I've searched a lot of vids and I certainly believe fortus to be a better guitarist? my original point was that if its not Izzy nobody will really care who his replacement is, and thankfully for me, I like fortus

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Fortus is like the Ronnie Wood of GNR. Gilby is more along the lines of Billy Preston.

Gilby is cool but It would be unfair to Richard who has been loyal and is an excellent guitarist

how can anybody call Fortus a hack when Gilby was the original hack?

im actually excited to hear what Slash and Fortus produce

Edited by -W.A.R-

32 minutes ago, -W.A.R- said:

Gilby is cool but It would be unfair to Richard who has been loyal and is an excellent guitarist

how can anybody call Fortus a hack when Gilby was the original hack?

im actually excited to hear what Slash and Fortus produce

Gilby, a 'hack' who actually played during the old band era, played on an old band album, and was a legitimate member during the old band era - what a crock of shit.

Edited by DieselDaisy

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Gilby, a 'hack' who actually played during the old band era, played on an old band album, and was a legitimate member during the old band era - what a crock of shit.

I agree, that's why Fortus ranks higher in points above replacement. Fortus has recorded much more material, toured much longer, and was and is in  better physical, technical, and emotional condition than Gilby was. Fortus has been involved in more eras of GNR than Gilby as well. I'd say the evidence suggests Fortus outranks Clarke in all the pertinent categories. Really he's more styled to GNR too.