"What Movie Did You Watch?" - 2020 Edition

On 3/27/2017 at 11:04 AM, Oldest Goat said:

Zero Dark Thirty

Pro CIA and torture propaganda.

0/30

Its good I am not the only one who had 2 thoughts about this movie. 

Some people found it WOW, for me it was I don't know what to say, I kept on forwarding it in between.

It got pretty slow in between and well I can go on and on about the whole issue and the things happened like torture, but I don't want this to become a political thread lol 

3 hours ago, James Bond said:

Bringing Up Baby (1938)

The Philadelphia Story (1940)

Needless to say I did a Cary Grant/Katherine Hepburn double feature last night. What a great screen duo they were, and what a treat to have James Stewart in the mix for the latter.

great movies! i love Katherine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy, they were made for each other :)

• Like 1

On 3/28/2017 at 11:19 PM, wasted said:

It's good but you feel the Ellroy so it's not as old school as Femme fatale.

I haven't seen Cain or Bonfire of the Vanities. I saw the Untouchables other day it's still great. I think I saw Fury. 

Is Long Goodbye Depalma?

ugh i made the mistake of watching Bonfire after reading the book. i had to read the book again to cleanse my mind of the movie :facepalm:

i watched Box of Moonlight again with John Turturro and Sam Rockwell....awesome actors and the movie was so good!

3 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

ugh i made the mistake of watching Bonfire after reading the book. i had to read the book again to cleanse my mind of the movie :facepalm:

i watched Box of Moonlight again with John Turturro and Sam Rockwell....awesome actors and the movie was so good!

I read the Bonfire movie is more an example of late 80s early 90s excess than a good adapt of the book. Like it's enjoyable in a way. Some De Palma movies seem like he's a contract killer. Femme Fatale is one where it's seems like he's doing what he wants. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, wasted said:

I read the Bonfire movie is more an example of late 80s early 90s excess than a good adapt of the book. Like it's enjoyable in a way. Some De Palma movies seem like he's a contract killer. Femme Fatale is one where it's seems like he's doing what he wants. 

oh i love DePalma movies. it was Melanie Griffith that ruined it. ugh! and not a big fan of Tom Hanks ( i know, he's a treasure, shoot me! :P ) two things i would love to do is meet him and say weren't you in that TV show with Peter Scolari? and two is meeting Sean Penn and saying oh you're Spicolli from Fast Time At Ridgemont High ( i am such a brat! :lol: )

6 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

oh i love DePalma movies. it was Melanie Griffith that ruined it. ugh! and not a big fan of Tom Hanks ( i know, he's a treasure, shoot me! :P ) two things i would love to do is meet him and say weren't you in that TV show with Peter Scolari? and two is meeting Sean Penn and saying oh you're Spicolli from Fast Time At Ridgemont High ( i am such a brat! :lol: )

I've seen Bonfire but didn't know it was De palma. Can't remember it, does it have De palma stylings? With Untouchables I kind of see some Scarface elements in it. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, wasted said:

I've seen Bonfire but didn't know it was De palma. Can't remember it, does it have De palma stylings? With Untouchables I kind of see some Scarface elements in it. 

to be honest i don't really recall, i was too busy cringing over Melanie Griffith's abysmal performance :facepalm:

Cinderella (1977)

It was quite different but with the same story line, don't watch it with your family/kids. 

Its a musical and it has its funny moments.

The most funny one was the "Fairy Godmother" that was a nice twist

22 hours ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

Wish I woulda had some shrooms for it! :lol:

oh my goodness you triggered a memory in me! i have had 'shrooms twice in my life. the first time it was sooooo fun ( but probably dangerous :P. ) i was out Christmas shopping and i could not stop laughing! i'd go in a store and the sales lady would approach me and i'd have to choke out a no thanks just looking! i'd pull up in front of a store and sit there for a good 10 minutes just laughing and trying to maintain before i went inside! i have no idea wtf they thought was wrong with me! :lol: the second time sucked. was not in the mood but people were like pushing me into it. so i did and then went into the bedroom and hid under the covers thinking i was never gonna come down :blink:

sadly the last movie i watched was Shallow Hal cos i was too tired to flick through the channels and find anything else. the sight of Jason Alexander with that tail sticks with me :facepalm:

Edited by AxlsFavoriteRose
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

I finally got around to watching Interstellar last night. I really enjoyed that. Awesome story, awesome space scenes, and some pretty deep things to think about. 

Well Im one of those people who thinks that Interstellar is a very over rated movie. 

Sylvia Scarlett (1935)

So bad that director George Cukor tried to block its release. The first of the infamous "Hepburn bombs" but it's worth sitting through just to see the evolution of Cary Grant. The premise is great but it's pretty well abandoned after the first twenty minutes to make way for a forced love story.

My Favorite Wife (1940)

The first 75% is classic Cary Grant comedy. Too bad they didn't quite know how to resolve the film and end it. Another good premise that fell flat. To be fair, the cast was pretty shook up from Leo McCarey's near fatal car accident so his involvement was minimalized. He reworked the ending after he recovered including reshoots but I think it was too late to totally save it.