NEW Steven Adler interview with Mitch Lafon

1 hour ago, AlterL said:

What does that have to do with anything? It's their tour, their life and money, why should they include this Guy that time over time keeps proving to be just a liability, what exactly makes him deserving of anything that they haven't paid off already. he wants to determinate the lineup for a band that he hasn't been a part of since1990 and honestly he just isn't worth the troubles. I get why Axl wouldn't want him around.

I think most of us understand why he is not wanted around, and agree in terms of good business sense he is a risk. But this is GnR and thier most celebrated album has Steven as the drummer, and for that reason for many fans he is worth the trouble.

Edited by Archtop
  • Like 2

Interesting I thought these posts were mainly anti the current line up and lament the lack of a full reunion. Many acknowledge that the blame can't all be laid at Axls feet when the big three appear to be the driving force.

Given the chance I would have no problem asking any of them to their faces, why not a full reunion?and questionthe real reasons behind it, with full facts I can make a much more informed opinion. 

I am not going to kiss GnR butt because I got Duff, Axl and Slash, when information given so far leads me to believe we could have had a full reunion.

An open response to your post, which I assume you had no intention of being ignored otherwise why bother?

Edited by Archtop
  • Like 1

I know all speak English in this forum, but it was easier for me translate the interview to Spanish than do it in English.

STEVEN ADLER CON MITCH LAFON

"Practiqué durante 2 años, todos los días, las canciones de Appetite, Lies e Illusion para cuando la reunión sucediera y así poder estar listo y en la mejor forma".

"Iba a hacer todo Appetite, Lies y 3 o 4 canciones de los Illusion y después Frank, quien es una persona hermosa y asombrosa, iba a hacer Chinese y un par de Covers y de Illusion. Yo iba a empezar el show, el iba a aparecer en la mitad y yo lo iba a terminar. Estaba muy contento con eso".

"Me lesioné el segundo día de ensayos, el dolor en mi espalda fue insoportable y tuve que operarme".

"Estaba listo para el show de Troubadour y Duff me llamó y me dijo que no lo iba a hacer. Le dije que era la peor persona del mundo y le corte el teléfono. Apenas corté, me arrepentí y le deje un mensaje. Cuando uno tiene resentimientos dice cosas malas, ellos saben que son las personas que mas amo en el mundo".

"A mí no me importa la plata, quería y toqué con ellos porque quería hacerlo después de tanto tiempo y por los fans".

"Matt, Frank y yo tenemos diferentes estilos. La gente creció escuchándome a mí en la batería, por eso no "quieren" tanto a Frank. Cuando escuché Mr.Brownstone dije "que es esta canción?" Hasta que Axl no comenzó a cantar, no la entendí".

"Vine a la Argentina por la familia de mi esposa, era la primera vez que los iba a ver en 16 años. Cuando terminé de tocar Out ta get me y me apagaron la luces dije "What the Fuck?" y 20 personas del crew vinieron".

"Me dijeron de ir a Australia, Japón y Tailandia y dije que no podía hacer eso. Repito, amo a estos chicos, estoy agradecido igualmente por el lugar que me dieron, estoy orgulloso".

"Si ellos quieren hacer las cosas de la manera correcta, es decir, estando "los 5" arriba del escenario, yo voy a estar allí. Estamos los 5 vivos, los quiero mucho y estoy orgulloso de lo que hicimos, deberíamos tocar para nuestros putos fans".

"Si algún día nos juntamos los 5, sería la reunión del rock mas grande e importante de la historia, a menos que revivan Jimmi Hendrix o Morrison, la gente estaría muy feliz".

"Les planteé a Slash y Axl la posibilidad de hacer la reunión en Julio/Agosto, 4 o 5 shows y tocar Appetite entero y tocar un par de canciones más. Grabarlo en DVD, hacerlo y listo, creo que Axl estaría contento con eso y podríamos hacer más. Estaría muy bueno pero no se si sucederá, es MI idea". 

"Quién puede transmitir sentimientos tan profundos en una canción? Steven Tyler, Robert Plant y Axl".

"Hace mas de 8 años que no me drogo y 3 que no tomo. No puedo estar mas feliz, ahora puedo disfrutar de cosas que antes no podía".

"Si quieren ver como "se tocan" las canciones de los Illusion, vean el show de hace unos meses The Roxy en Argentina con amigos. Así se hace".

"Fortus es espectacular, toca increíblemente. Cuando estaba en el escenario, yo creía que era Izzy, porque en cierta forma, hasta se parece. Pero en realidad, Izzy no toca de esa manera".

"Like with the GNR thing, you think I don't want to be a part of it, you think Izzy doesn't want to be a part of it? We want to do it right. But we have to come to the reality, the fact is, it is what it is. And I have no more resentment."

Edited by feli1269
  • Like 2

I like Adler. I saw him perform when he was in Clifton, NJ 12 years ago. The guy has a lot of heart and shows that you can overcome challenges. With that being said, I totally see why Adler isn't the drummer for GNR in this tour. Due to his history,  there are trust issues with him. I think one off dates are good, but an entire tour, I'm just not sure. 

It was great watching his performance on YouTube. I wished he had done RQ and PC since I strongly believe that without him along with Axl and Slash, those two songs would not sound as good.  However, I do see the business side of things. 

Just now, The Holographic Universe said:

Steven is a goofy fuck who hasn't contributed shit to the musical landscape in the last 30 years. He was very fortunate to be a part of the original band, so he can coast thru life until he dies. I have zero interest in seeing him play with GNR. 

C'mon, are you crazy? First listen the whole interview against talking shit about him. 

• Like 1

The issue of insurance came up - what if alders back acted up?  But as Adler says, and as many insiders and rock journalists said in lead up to NITL announcement, theres was always going to be ferrer and fortus along with Izzy and Adler.  So there was always enough 'reliable' players to keep tour viable.  It all sounds very sad for fans who'd desire a AFD5 or AFD5+ reunion, but also for each of AFD5 themselves.

Adler may make himself easy to mock or dismiss, but he's at least able to achieve closure, forgiveness and healing.  

I adore his drumming.

• Like 2

It could still happen. My guess is say in 2018 there's a little dip in interest in the reunion tour. They'll need a new lure, the Big 3 will have made bank. What if we keep it going with equal loot? New Merch. The Holy Grail Tour 2019. 

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, feli1269 said:

C'mon, are you crazy? First listen the whole interview against talking shit about him. 

I listened. And that's why I call him a goofy fuck. Steven is not a musician of note. People can invent any story they want to attribute some worth to his contribution to the band, but he is the least talented member of any line-up and has contributed nothing of musical value. It is what it is. Lol, no resentments.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wasted said:

It could still happen. My guess is say in 2018 there's a little dip interest in the reunion tour. They'll need a new lure, the Big 3 will have made bank. What if we keep it going with equal loot? 

Do you personally want to see GNR continue to tour after this world trek without new music. And, I don't think Axl has an interest in being in GNR at 60. Somehow Axl and performing at 60 don't feel like it would work. 

1 minute ago, The Holographic Universe said:

I listened. And that's why I call him a goofy fuck. Steven is not a musician of note. People can invent any story they want to attribute some worth to his contribution to the band, but he is the least talented member of any line-up and has contributed nothing of musical value. It is what it is. Lol, no resentments.

Who recorded Appetite for Destruction? Frank, Matt, Me? He was the GNR for 6 years. If you like him or not, that's another story.

8 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I agree. Nothing less rock n roll than NDA agreements and shit. I now believe it is 100% Axl calling the shots and Slash and Duff saying "fuck it" to avoid any potential drama.

They didnt avoid interviews and press because its "rock n roll" and because they didnt want the distraction, they did it because Axl doesnt want it.

Steven isnt perfect. He is a fuck up who says a lot of shit, but his heart is big and in the right place. He arguably has more passion towards GNR and AfD than anyone else im the band. He was mistreated last year and hurt. Axl, Slash, and even Duff said shit over the years but all get a free pass. Why shouldn't Steven? He should have been given a chance. 

Sadly, they blew their load. NITL IS the big reunion tour. They could get Steven and Izzy back and it wouldnt garner the attraction thia tour did. They missed their chance to do it right.

Every thing you have said in this thread has been spot on. I couldn't agree more. This is becoming more and more disappointing. I love this band and the music but the drama just gets old. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, wasted said:

It could still happen. My guess is say in 2018 there's a little dip in interest in the reunion tour. They'll need a new lure, the Big 3 will have made bank. What if we keep it going with equal loot? New Merch. The Holy Grail Tour 2019. 

Even if that's the case who knows if they will be physically capable of touring in 2019. I think that's one of the issues with this band they don't seem to realize that nothing is guaranteed. All 5 aren't going to be around forever. Any of them (god forbid) could pass away tomorrow and is this really how they want it to end? Is bickering the legacy that they want to leave behind?

I see what your saying but I still feel like they blew their big chance to come back with the AFD5.

Edited by Kris_1989
Damn autocorrect lol

If you look at their books, both of them never wanted to upset Axl, so it is no surprise. Like Steven said a million times, "It is what it is". Hopefully we get a full AFD 5 but if not, I got to see Slash and Axl playing side by side and a shitload of pics so I am okay with it.

3 minutes ago, Muddy said:

This tour has been considered "the reunion" as far as the general public is concerned. I don't think having Adler or izzy aboard for a AFD lineup reunion would drum up too much interest from casual fans at this point. I would love to see the AFD 5 myself though, it would be a big deal for the die hard fans .

I'd have to agree with this.

By the same token, if they do an AFD5 tour it would be likely that they'd be in a smaller venues and that would be better for die hard fans.

Edited by sanity_lost
  • Like 1