Unpopular GnR songs that you like?

On 28/4/2017 at 10:49 PM, RONIN said:

Admitting to liking SFTD here is not going to win you many friends, let's put it that way. :lol: 

Great picks here. Bad Apples is really underrated. Such a great song.

You forgot OH MY GOD. 

I dont get it.. Why do u say that people its gonna hate me if i say i love sftd??

(Im  really asking.. I mean, it is a gnr song ( a cover, but still) plus i think the song sounds amazing .. I love almost everything about that song, arregements, matts druming, and ooohh axls job.. He really made justice to those lirycs, what an epic singing from the red head.). But really, could u ( or anybody else) explain me that?? Im i missing something??

Again, im not challenging argues or whatever, im openly and honestly asking

• Like 1

On 4/28/2017 at 7:58 PM, RONIN said:

What are your GnR guilty pleasures?

The two GnR songs I listen to most these days are covers: Aint it Fun and Sympathy for the Devil. #3 would be "Since I Don't Have You". :o:smiley-confused2:

I'm proud to like Ain't it Fun also!  Great, great song at high volume.  Fun to play on guitar, too!

define unpopular. if unpopular means that there was no single and music video out there, then nightrain, civil war and one in a million were songs that would have been hits if they did music videos. 

estranged f.ex. is one of gnrs best pieces. musically brilliant + their most expensive music video. but the song is too complex for non-gnr-fans. 

when it comes to live stuff: slash's UYI intros are underrated.

when it comes to gnr related stuff: always on the run by lenny kravitz is a song that was actually a gnr song, but it was too funky for axl.

1 hour ago, SEPTEM said:

I dont get it.. Why do u say that people its gonna hate me if i say i love sftd??

(Im  really asking.. I mean, it is a gnr song ( a cover, but still) plus i think the song sounds amazing .. I love almost everything about that song, arregements, matts druming, and ooohh axls job.. He really made justice to those lirycs, what an epic singing from the red head.). But really, could u ( or anybody else) explain me that?? Im i missing something??

It's really unpopular with casual and die hard fans. Critics were mixed. Duff, Slash and Matt hated recording the song.

I think some fans have a difficult time separating the "Paul Huge" factor and the fact that it's a Rolling Stones cover that didn't meet their preconceived notions of what a good cover of that song should sound like. And Slash vocally hates this song. 

I really enjoy it. I like the sound of the band circa 1993-1994. Spaghetti Incident was a weak album, but Axl, Duff, and Slash sound great. I can only speculate the 1996 album would have had the band in peak form.

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

I just love the Stones' version and find Guns N' Roses's a weak cover. The Stones encapsulated their zeitgeist in that song: it somehow sounds primeval yet at the same time exhilarating and new - and generally satanic.

Could you perhaps be a smidgen biased towards the Stones' version? ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2414225 said:

define unpopular. if unpopular means that there was no single and music video out there, then nightrain, civil war and one in a million were songs that would have been hits if they did music videos. 

estranged f.ex. is one of gnrs best pieces. musically brilliant + their most expensive music video. but the song is too complex for non-gnr-fans. 

when it comes to live stuff: slash's UYI intros are underrated.

when it comes to gnr related stuff: always on the run by lenny kravitz is a song that was actually a gnr song, but it was too funky for axl.

Unpopular with fans would be the best definition to use here. With that definition we could say stuff like My World, Sympathy for the Devil, Get in The Ring, etc.

2 hours ago, SEPTEM said:

29 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Could you perhaps be a smidgen biased towards the Stones' version? ;)

Not especially I feel as it is quite the iconic song and was released at a particular fervent epoch which The Stones managed to channel into the recording. Guns N' Roses's recording? Well it came out and disappeared, didn't it? Their interpretation is fairly conservative; I wouldn't say it is absolutely dreadful but all it does is make me want to dump it and return to the original (or one of the terrific live versions which exist).

Embarrassing intro aside, Scraped is a song I find myself going back to when I want to listen to something obscure by GnR. I love the bridges w/ Axl doing the call and answer thing. Also, instrumentally, it rips. Solid Bucket/Brain composition.

8 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Not especially I feel as it is quite the iconic song and was released at a particular fervent epoch which The Stones managed to channel into the recording. Guns N' Roses's recording? Well it came out and disappeared, didn't it? Their interpretation is fairly conservative; I wouldn't say it is absolutely dreadful but all it does is make me want to dump it and return to the original (or one of the terrific live versions which exist).

Hypothetically speaking -- if Slash had his way and the solos were less reverential towards the original, if there was no Paul Huge -- could the song have been saved? Or was this just destined to fail?

Here's an opinion I found on the song. Agree/Disagree?

The music is so so (overblown/over-produced), but Axl is nauseating. The narcissism in his presentation is repulsive -- he obviously has no real grasp on what the song is, and he certainly doesn't provide a new and interesting context. He seems to believe the messenger is more interesting than the Devil itself. Not surprising that this is the product of a group of self-important douschebags who in the end offered almost nothing of lasting value to music.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/sympathy-for-the-devil-guns-n-roses-opinions.464306/

Edited by RONIN

8 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Hypothetically speaking -- if Slash had his way and the solos were less reverential towards the original, if there was no Paul Huge -- could the song have been saved? Or was this just destined to fail?

Here's an opinion I found on the song. Agree/Disagree?

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/sympathy-for-the-devil-guns-n-roses-opinions.464306/

Chap is right, but it probably does not deserve that much analyse really. The thing is the Stones' version was so iconic and macabre sounding. In GN'R's defense there was no way they could have ever matched that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Chap is right, but it probably does not deserve that much analyse really. The thing is the Stones' version was so iconic and macabre sounding. In GN'R's defense there was no way they could have ever matched that.

The best Stones version of that track is the Altamont one imo...Something about the dirtier guitar licks and Mick changing the melody in his delivery....fantastic 

If The World. I was at an indoor mini golf course with my kid months ago and they had a digital jukebox. Started scrolling through and put on ITW because I just thought it would be neat to put on an obscure GNR song that nobody else in the building would know. Hadn't listened to it in a long time and had totally forgotten how much I enjoy that song. 

1. Unpopular, as under-appreciated among GnR fans: The Garden, Get In The Ring, So Fine, My World (yes); from the covers: Human Being, Ain't It Fun, SIDHY, Look At Your Game, Girl; Axl's GnR: Oh My God, Madagascar.

2. Unpopular, as relatively unknown by the casuals and the general public: Locomotive (Axl's best lyrics imo), Dust 'N Bones, Breakdown, Dead Horse, Don't Damn Me, You're Crazy (Lies and the other acoustic version), Move To The City.

- One In A Million: it's a shame that Axl wasted such a great (musically and vocally) song with those lyrics.

- Sympathy For The Devil: not a bad version, but totally unimaginative as a cover and Axl's performance is overly theatrical.

Edited by Blackstar

SFTD to me was always a kickass cover. The entire CD album, but out of the tracks more hated on it I've always liked Scraped, If The World, and Catcher (can't defend Riad though...). My World is pretty badass to me as well but I never took it too seriously. Oh My God is a great song, I love jamming to it while driving on the freeway. Get In The Ring and Shotgun Blues are also kickass rock songs which get too much hate in my opinion

One in a Million. The best studio vocals Axl's ever recorded imo. It's a shame that it's even considered a guilty pleasure. Just because he says hooray for tolerance!s and hooray for tolerance!s. It's pretty obvious he's just playing up to the stereotype of mid-western white trash.

No one called Leonardo DiCaprio a racist for saying hooray for tolerance! in Django Unchained. Pretty pathetic how utterly pussified the music industry is. "Oh shit he's white and he's saying hooray for tolerance!!? He must mean it!" On the other hand there's a band literally called "hooray for tolerance!z Wid Attitude" but that's all fine.

The handling of these issues is even more racist and divisive than the use of the slurs themselves.

12 hours ago, Blackstar said:

- One In A Million: it's a shame that Axl wasted such a great (musically and vocally) song with those lyrics.

That's exactly the point I was trying to make, those lyrics just ruin what is a great song for me, plain and simple.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

That's exactly the point I was trying to make, those lyrics just ruin what is a great song for me, plain and simple.

Yes, and also it was condemned to never be performed live.

I hadn't listened to it for decades and I did recently because of a discussion here. I hadn't realized how good it was.

Edited by Blackstar